ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Insecure delivery point?
-
Izzy
- Posts: 125
- Joined: 10 Jan 2008, 23:09
Insecure delivery point?
Does RM have a policy on insecure delivery points? Eg wall-mounted boxes with the door ripped off, blocked letterboxes, recycling box by back steps while extension is built at front, garden shed as piano is pushed up against front door? I'm a floater and I'm getting a bit pissed off by my colleagues who are agreeing to deliver to these spots and the customer then expects me to do the same. For some reason I'm happy to leave post behind storm doors where there is no letterbox on the inner door.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Insecure delivery point?
RM policy is, if you doesnt think its safe, then dont leave items there
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Insecure delivery point?
As above, endorse and return to delivery office, it is your neck if anything goes wrong and the customer complains, don't worry what anyone else does, when it goes wrong for them, it is their problem.
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Insecure delivery point?
Just tell the recipients that if unhappy to contact customer services, don't leave items insecure, if storm doors are shut and there's a letter box use it, if open don't leave it, if shut don't try and open the door unless knocking the inner door to hand over to the recipientIzzy wrote:Does RM have a policy on insecure delivery points? Eg wall-mounted boxes with the door ripped off, blocked letterboxes, recycling box by back steps while extension is built at front, garden shed as piano is pushed up against front door? I'm a floater and I'm getting a bit pissed off by my colleagues who are agreeing to deliver to these spots and the customer then expects me to do the same. For some reason I'm happy to leave post behind storm doors where there is no letterbox on the inner door.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Insecure delivery point?
I hate leaving mail in wall mounted boxes with the lock broken and the door flapping about.Surreypostie wrote:As above, endorse and return to delivery office, it is your neck if anything goes wrong and the customer complains, don't worry what anyone else does, when it goes wrong for them, it is their problem.
How should we endorse this so the customer knows why the mail wasn't delivered?
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Re: Insecure delivery point?
I write something along the lines of "box broken, not safe to leave mail"norm wrote:I hate leaving mail in wall mounted boxes with the lock broken and the door flapping about.Surreypostie wrote:As above, endorse and return to delivery office, it is your neck if anything goes wrong and the customer complains, don't worry what anyone else does, when it goes wrong for them, it is their problem.
How should we endorse this so the customer knows why the mail wasn't delivered?
-
Anonymouse
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Insecure delivery point?
Are wall boxes even safe to begin with?
I once delivered to the wrong street by mistake. Luckily I noticed after 5 houses. 3 had wall mounted boxes so I just stuck my hand in and got the mail back.
I once delivered to the wrong street by mistake. Luckily I noticed after 5 houses. 3 had wall mounted boxes so I just stuck my hand in and got the mail back.
-
Izzy
- Posts: 125
- Joined: 10 Jan 2008, 23:09
Re: Insecure delivery point?
With some of these I have RTS as no delivery point. Quite a good way of getting the customer's attention to sort the situation!norm wrote:Surreypostie wrote: I hate leaving mail in wall mounted boxes with the lock broken and the door flapping about.
-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Insecure delivery point?
You can't open porch doors to drop parcels in there either, this is so frustrating
If somebody opens the door and steals the mail Is it a breaking and entering crime?
If somebody opens the door and steals the mail Is it a breaking and entering crime?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Insecure delivery point?
England and Wales
Burglary in English law
Burglary is defined by section 9 of the Theft Act 1968, which describes two variants:
A person is guilty of burglary if he enters any building or part of a building as a trespasser with intent to steal, inflict grievous bodily harm or do unlawful damage to the building or anything in it.
A person is guilty of burglary if, having entered a building or part of a building as a trespasser, he steals or attempts to steal anything in the building, or inflicts or attempts to inflict grievous bodily harm on any person in the building.
Northern Ireland.
The offence is defined in similar terms to England and Wales by the Theft Act (Northern Ireland) 1969.[20]
Scotland
Under Scots law, the crime of burglary does not exist. Instead theft by housebreaking covers theft where the security of the building is overcome. It does not include any other aspect of burglary found in England and Wales. It is a crime usually prosecuted under solemn procedure in a superior court. Another common law crime still used is Hamesukin, which covers forced entry into a building where a serious assault on the occupant takes place. Common law crimes in Scotland are gradually being replaced by statutes.
Burglary in English law
Burglary is defined by section 9 of the Theft Act 1968, which describes two variants:
A person is guilty of burglary if he enters any building or part of a building as a trespasser with intent to steal, inflict grievous bodily harm or do unlawful damage to the building or anything in it.
A person is guilty of burglary if, having entered a building or part of a building as a trespasser, he steals or attempts to steal anything in the building, or inflicts or attempts to inflict grievous bodily harm on any person in the building.
Northern Ireland.
The offence is defined in similar terms to England and Wales by the Theft Act (Northern Ireland) 1969.[20]
Scotland
Under Scots law, the crime of burglary does not exist. Instead theft by housebreaking covers theft where the security of the building is overcome. It does not include any other aspect of burglary found in England and Wales. It is a crime usually prosecuted under solemn procedure in a superior court. Another common law crime still used is Hamesukin, which covers forced entry into a building where a serious assault on the occupant takes place. Common law crimes in Scotland are gradually being replaced by statutes.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.