It's gotta be the only job in the world where you start and take a break right away ( our office anyway )
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Meal Reliefs - When do you take yours ?
-
yakima
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 26 Nov 2015, 17:04
- Gender: Male
Meal Reliefs - When do you take yours ?
Our part timers start work, and straight away ( or within 5 - 10 minutes of starting ) there told to take a 10 minute meal relief
, And as a full timer, we get told when to take our break anytime between 8.30 and 9.am depending how far along we are with our prepping.
It's gotta be the only job in the world where you start and take a break right away ( our office anyway )
It's gotta be the only job in the world where you start and take a break right away ( our office anyway )
-
masterblaster
- Posts: 285
- Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
- Gender: Male
Re: Meal Reliefs - When do you take yours ?
Check the details here https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/taking-breaks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Basically
Employers can say when employees take rest breaks during work time as long as:
the break is taken in one go somewhere in the middle of the day (not at the beginning or end)
workers are allowed to spend it away from their desk or workstation (ie away from where they actually work)
Basically
Employers can say when employees take rest breaks during work time as long as:
the break is taken in one go somewhere in the middle of the day (not at the beginning or end)
workers are allowed to spend it away from their desk or workstation (ie away from where they actually work)
-
scotboyblue
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 25 Oct 2011, 21:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Meal Reliefs - When do you take yours ?
Twenty minutes between 8.30 and 9 then twenty mins at end of shift.
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Meal Reliefs - When do you take yours ?
this only applies if the part timers shift is in excess of 6 hours, these protections do no apply to anyone working less than a six hour shift and only apply to 20 minutes of breaks if working more than 6 hours.masterblaster wrote:Check the details here https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/taking-breaks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Basically
Employers can say when employees take rest breaks during work time as long as:
the break is taken in one go somewhere in the middle of the day (not at the beginning or end)
workers are allowed to spend it away from their desk or workstation (ie away from where they actually work)
-
mancpat
- Posts: 85
- Joined: 09 Feb 2010, 12:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Meal Reliefs - When do you take yours ?
I take mine when I'm bagged up and ready to go out. Doesn't matter what time it is. I like to know that once I've finished my break I'm out of there.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Meal Reliefs - When do you take yours ?
I break up the most physical part of the work and split the delivery with a break in a local cafe. Perfect.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
BarnsleyLackey
- Posts: 349
- Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Meal Reliefs - When do you take yours ?
How far into your shift do you have to be for it not to be regarded as the beginning?
-
PHARRY
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 327
- Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Meal Reliefs - When do you take yours ?
The end lolBarnsleyLackey wrote:How far into your shift do you have to be for it not to be regarded as the beginning?
-
BarnsleyLackey
- Posts: 349
- Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Meal Reliefs - When do you take yours ?
You're not supposed to laugh at your own jokes, silly sausage.PHARRY wrote:The end lolBarnsleyLackey wrote:How far into your shift do you have to be for it not to be regarded as the beginning?
Reason I ask is, managers like to try and have you take the full 40 at half eight.
-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Meal Reliefs - When do you take yours ?
When we get to the chippy
Fish and peas today 
-
bigbazza
- Posts: 113
- Joined: 15 Feb 2010, 19:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Meal Reliefs - When do you take yours ?
Same as our office but if we are waiting for mech to come off machines we will go earlier.scotboyblue wrote:Twenty minutes between 8.30 and 9 then twenty mins at end of shift.
-
DiamondSmiles
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Meal Reliefs - When do you take yours ?
I do an HCT duty so have my 40 minutes in the office around 3 hours into my duty,.
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Re: Meal Reliefs - When do you take yours ?
Part timer here - working 6 hrs days atm on a van share with a Full Timer.
FT has 40 mins (2x 20mins)
I have 30 Mins (10 mins + 20 mins)
FT's first 20 mins is scheduled sometime before I arrive at 0830
PT's first 10 mins scheduled after bagging up and loading the van - this is the 10 minutes that the FT is supposed to be doing van checks
our remaining 20 mins is scheduled half way through delivery.
so I have no issue with having a small break scheduled just half an hour in to my day because I'm scheduled to have my legal entitlement at the right time.
However...
...I use the word scheduled because I'm working with a tw*t who saves his whole 40 mins for the end, I don't even get my first 10 mins because he claims to have already done the van checks before I arrive, so no time available for me to have it
FT has 40 mins (2x 20mins)
I have 30 Mins (10 mins + 20 mins)
FT's first 20 mins is scheduled sometime before I arrive at 0830
PT's first 10 mins scheduled after bagging up and loading the van - this is the 10 minutes that the FT is supposed to be doing van checks
our remaining 20 mins is scheduled half way through delivery.
so I have no issue with having a small break scheduled just half an hour in to my day because I'm scheduled to have my legal entitlement at the right time.
However...
...I use the word scheduled because I'm working with a tw*t who saves his whole 40 mins for the end, I don't even get my first 10 mins because he claims to have already done the van checks before I arrive, so no time available for me to have it
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Meal Reliefs - When do you take yours ?
why are you allowing yourself to be bullied by said "tw*t" take your break when scheduled, hes not supposed to take break at the end.crazyshrew wrote:
However...
...I use the word scheduled because I'm working with a tw*t who saves his whole 40 mins for the end, I don't even get my first 10 mins because he claims to have already done the van checks before I arrive, so no time available for me to have it
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Re: Meal Reliefs - When do you take yours ?
He's the WPC so can do no wrong in DOM's eye's.
I manage to fit in some breaks that annoys him eg, I'll sit in the van for ten mins having a sandwich while he rushes off on his loop, or I'll stop and have a sneaky smoke in a secluded spot half way round a loop.
I still get my 20 mins, just not in one go. And he ends up doing more work. Not kicking up a fuss because we're both only on it temporarily.
I manage to fit in some breaks that annoys him eg, I'll sit in the van for ten mins having a sandwich while he rushes off on his loop, or I'll stop and have a sneaky smoke in a secluded spot half way round a loop.
I still get my 20 mins, just not in one go. And he ends up doing more work. Not kicking up a fuss because we're both only on it temporarily.