ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How many miles is your walk?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
camelelf
Posts: 64
Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
Gender: Male

How many miles is your walk?

Post by camelelf »

Just wondering if anyone records their distances and if so how far they usually walk and at what speed.

My first three weeks were 37,36 and 35 miles a week and the last two weeks have been 54 and 53 as I've been moved to new walks. I'm surprised at how different some walks are.

I've been walking an average of 2.2MPH which can't be great as I've been going over most days.

What about you guys?
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: How many miles is your walk?

Post by korky »

camelelf wrote:Just wondering if anyone records their distances and if so how far they usually walk and at what speed.

My first three weeks were 37,36 and 35 miles a week and the last two weeks have been 54 and 53 as I've been moved to new walks. I'm surprised at how different some walks are.

I've been walking an average of 2.2MPH which can't be great as I've been going over most days.

What about you guys?
you girl :Very Happy
not clocked mine for a while, weds was 13.5 mile and thurs 13 miles, we've had 20/30 minutes added since too

you can have the shortest duty in the office but if nobody at home then you've had it, unless you use all the free time to try a neighbour :left:
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: How many miles is your walk?

Post by motherhubbard »

I use my pedometer and my walk is just short of 500 miles.
It takes roughly 4 hours.

Great thread by the way. :arrrghhh
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: How many miles is your walk?

Post by greengiant »

motherhubbard wrote:I use my pedometer and my walk is just short of 500 miles.
It takes roughly 4 hours.

Great thread by the way. :arrrghhh
Is that all? :wink: With apologies to Monty Python:
I had to get up in the morning at ten o’clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, eat a clump of coal poison, walk twenty-nine miles a day on my rounds, and pay the dom for permission to come to work, and when we got back to the office, our dom would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah. And you try and tell the young people of today that ….. and they won’t believe you.
:crazy:

Seriously though I'm not sure you can easily measure an accurate walk distance. Pedometers aren't all that accurate - do they take into account stairs? Similarly GPS probably aren't all that accurate either?
In any case how can you compare walks? One "short" walk may have loads of stairs in it, while a longer walk may be in an up market estate with houses with massive gardens and driveways.
camelelf
Posts: 64
Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
Gender: Male

Re: How many miles is your walk?

Post by camelelf »

motherhubbard wrote:
Great thread by the way. :arrrghhh
Thank you. I thought so too :nana
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: How many miles is your walk?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

camelelf wrote: I've been walking an average of 2.2MPH which can't be great as I've been going over most days.

?

Thats actually slightly quicker than the official speed quoted by Royal Mail so well done :thumbup :thumbup http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... an#p134162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
scotboyblue
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 42
Joined: 25 Oct 2011, 21:08
Gender: Male

Re: How many miles is your walk?

Post by scotboyblue »

The other day my Fitbit recorded 18500 steps (2000 steps = 1mile)
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: How many miles is your walk?

Post by motherhubbard »

scotboyblue wrote:The other day my Fitbit recorded 18500 steps (2000 steps = 1mile)
That assumes each step is 80cm.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: How many miles is your walk?

Post by dave72 »

18 miles in the van and about 8miles on foot
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: How many miles is your walk?

Post by Newbie001 »

motherhubbard wrote:
scotboyblue wrote:The other day my Fitbit recorded 18500 steps (2000 steps = 1mile)
That assumes each step is 80cm.
Agree mileage isn't entirely accurate. Was on a walk once that measured over 30,000 steps. (lots of stairs). Did I walk 15 miles, probably not. But at the end of the day it sure bloody felt like it. And I'm sure my legs would have preferred walking the 15 miles. :chuckle
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: How many miles is your walk?

Post by k979aaa »

Bet the managers love this thread.
scotboyblue
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 42
Joined: 25 Oct 2011, 21:08
Gender: Male

Re: How many miles is your walk?

Post by scotboyblue »

Totally agree it might not b 100 percent accurate but I was also knackered at the end of it. :arrrghhh
RedBagMan
Posts: 1010
Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male
Location: Behind the lens

Re: How many miles is your walk?

Post by RedBagMan »

Got a fitbit with "buzz buzz" setting at 15,000 steps ... for a while it was buzzing towards the end of loop 4 (out of 8) - these days it's buzzing at the beginning of loop 4 (out of 8) - unfortunately it's the cheap one - otherwise I WOULD be interested in the altitude/steps results - one day I will sit down and count the steps on my loops - I honestly reckon I do Snowdon every day ...
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: How many miles is your walk?

Post by wannabeek »

fitbitstats.jpg
I wouldn't agree with what Fitbit calls my 'best' day of the week - it was a bit of a shocker!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

Re: How many miles is your walk?

Post by ScousePostie »

I walk around 10 miles per day. Some figures below from the last week in November when I did a duty Mon-Thurs and Saturday and overtime on a different duty on Friday.
FireShot Screen Capture #100 - 'Track My Activities on Fitbit' - www_fitbit_com_activities.jpg
I've been moved into the office for Christmas so steps/miles have been greatly reduced.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.