ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
How many miles is your walk?
-
camelelf
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
- Gender: Male
How many miles is your walk?
Just wondering if anyone records their distances and if so how far they usually walk and at what speed.
My first three weeks were 37,36 and 35 miles a week and the last two weeks have been 54 and 53 as I've been moved to new walks. I'm surprised at how different some walks are.
I've been walking an average of 2.2MPH which can't be great as I've been going over most days.
What about you guys?
My first three weeks were 37,36 and 35 miles a week and the last two weeks have been 54 and 53 as I've been moved to new walks. I'm surprised at how different some walks are.
I've been walking an average of 2.2MPH which can't be great as I've been going over most days.
What about you guys?
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
Re: How many miles is your walk?
you girlcamelelf wrote:Just wondering if anyone records their distances and if so how far they usually walk and at what speed.
My first three weeks were 37,36 and 35 miles a week and the last two weeks have been 54 and 53 as I've been moved to new walks. I'm surprised at how different some walks are.
I've been walking an average of 2.2MPH which can't be great as I've been going over most days.
What about you guys?
not clocked mine for a while, weds was 13.5 mile and thurs 13 miles, we've had 20/30 minutes added since too
you can have the shortest duty in the office but if nobody at home then you've had it, unless you use all the free time to try a neighbour
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Re: How many miles is your walk?
I use my pedometer and my walk is just short of 500 miles.
It takes roughly 4 hours.
Great thread by the way.
It takes roughly 4 hours.
Great thread by the way.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: How many miles is your walk?
Is that all?motherhubbard wrote:I use my pedometer and my walk is just short of 500 miles.
It takes roughly 4 hours.
Great thread by the way.
I had to get up in the morning at ten o’clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, eat a clump of coal poison, walk twenty-nine miles a day on my rounds, and pay the dom for permission to come to work, and when we got back to the office, our dom would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah. And you try and tell the young people of today that ….. and they won’t believe you.
Seriously though I'm not sure you can easily measure an accurate walk distance. Pedometers aren't all that accurate - do they take into account stairs? Similarly GPS probably aren't all that accurate either?
In any case how can you compare walks? One "short" walk may have loads of stairs in it, while a longer walk may be in an up market estate with houses with massive gardens and driveways.
-
camelelf
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Re: How many miles is your walk?
Thank you. I thought so toomotherhubbard wrote:
Great thread by the way.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: How many miles is your walk?
camelelf wrote: I've been walking an average of 2.2MPH which can't be great as I've been going over most days.
?
Thats actually slightly quicker than the official speed quoted by Royal Mail so well done
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
scotboyblue
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 25 Oct 2011, 21:08
- Gender: Male
Re: How many miles is your walk?
The other day my Fitbit recorded 18500 steps (2000 steps = 1mile)
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Re: How many miles is your walk?
That assumes each step is 80cm.scotboyblue wrote:The other day my Fitbit recorded 18500 steps (2000 steps = 1mile)
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: How many miles is your walk?
18 miles in the van and about 8miles on foot
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Re: How many miles is your walk?
Agree mileage isn't entirely accurate. Was on a walk once that measured over 30,000 steps. (lots of stairs). Did I walk 15 miles, probably not. But at the end of the day it sure bloody felt like it. And I'm sure my legs would have preferred walking the 15 miles.motherhubbard wrote:That assumes each step is 80cm.scotboyblue wrote:The other day my Fitbit recorded 18500 steps (2000 steps = 1mile)
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: How many miles is your walk?
Bet the managers love this thread.
-
scotboyblue
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 25 Oct 2011, 21:08
- Gender: Male
Re: How many miles is your walk?
Totally agree it might not b 100 percent accurate but I was also knackered at the end of it. 
-
RedBagMan
- Posts: 1010
- Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
- Location: Behind the lens
Re: How many miles is your walk?
Got a fitbit with "buzz buzz" setting at 15,000 steps ... for a while it was buzzing towards the end of loop 4 (out of 8) - these days it's buzzing at the beginning of loop 4 (out of 8) - unfortunately it's the cheap one - otherwise I WOULD be interested in the altitude/steps results - one day I will sit down and count the steps on my loops - I honestly reckon I do Snowdon every day ...
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: How many miles is your walk?
I wouldn't agree with what Fitbit calls my 'best' day of the week - it was a bit of a shocker!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
ScousePostie
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
- Gender: Male
Re: How many miles is your walk?
I walk around 10 miles per day. Some figures below from the last week in November when I did a duty Mon-Thurs and Saturday and overtime on a different duty on Friday.
I've been moved into the office for Christmas so steps/miles have been greatly reduced.
I've been moved into the office for Christmas so steps/miles have been greatly reduced.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.