ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

My place on the CSS operating machine confirmed.... EH?????

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

My place on the CSS operating machine confirmed.... EH?????

Post by postiewhite »

I got home today to find my wageslip and an additional letter from Royal Mail to me telling me that my course is confirmed, course title CSS XMAS SUPER BATCH OPERATOR TRAINING at the mail centre which starts on monday at 2pm for 4 hrs.

I have no idea about this course, I didn't enroll in any course down at the mail centre!! I phoned HR who told me that my boss might have done it but should have told me or it could be an error but my boss is away til monday (the day of the course).
Does this sound like an error? I wouldn't have thought my boss would enroll me into a course without me knowing especially with the times of the course being outside my finishing time and plus I have my own duty to cover this christmas. All I know is that im going to be the porter for the office for december but that doesnt involves a 4 hr training course in a mail centre
If its more money I might be very well interested on the other hand. Anyone shed any light on this type of machine, I presume its the machine that sorts sequenced mail?
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Re: My place on the CSS operating machine confirmed.... EH?????

Post by Creditshampoo »

I'm an operator. It's so much better than delivery, 40 hours over 4 nights.
However I am sceptical because training lasts 3 nights minimum.
newboy23

Re: My place on the CSS operating machine confirmed.... EH?????

Post by newboy23 »

Creditshampoo wrote:I'm an operator. It's so much better than delivery, 40 hours over 4 nights.
However I am sceptical because training lasts 3 nights minimum.
How do you go about getting that job ?
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: My place on the CSS operating machine confirmed.... EH?????

Post by rhino49 »

"CSS XMAS SUPER BATCH OPERATOR TRAINING" ... the title should have read "BITCH" not "BATCH" and means that as part of your porterage responsibility, you will be constantly walking backwards and forwards to the CSS machine operators with sorted/unsorted mail.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
ThatsNotPlumb
Posts: 165
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
Gender: Male

Re: My place on the CSS operating machine confirmed.... EH?????

Post by ThatsNotPlumb »

Creditshampoo wrote:I'm an operator. It's so much better than delivery, 40 hours over 4 nights.
However I am sceptical because training lasts 3 nights minimum.
Christmas additional wave/super batching training isn't 3 days, it's a 1 day course & you are basically shown how to operate the machine on a basic level with maybe some basic jam clearing. The 3 day course is only for duty holders & for people who intend to do OT covering for duty holders that are on leave or are sick & it shows you how to operate the machine in addition to clearing more complex jams, changing belts, cleaning/maintenance of the machine, disabling stackers/more advanced screen options etc.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12185
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: My place on the CSS operating machine confirmed.... EH?????

Post by SpacePhoenix »

ThatsNotPlumb wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:I'm an operator. It's so much better than delivery, 40 hours over 4 nights.
However I am sceptical because training lasts 3 nights minimum.
Christmas additional wave/super batching training isn't 3 days, it's a 1 day course & you are basically shown how to operate the machine on a basic level with maybe some basic jam clearing. The 3 day course is only for duty holders & for people who intend to do OT covering for duty holders that are on leave or are sick & it shows you how to operate the machine in addition to clearing more complex jams, changing belts, cleaning/maintenance of the machine, disabling stackers/more advanced screen options etc.
Disabling stackers generally can't be done anymore, as the batches have enough delivery points that they normally need all stackers working. Belts coming off is fairly rare, normally either the "u shaped" belt, that takes the mail round through to the leveler before the camera or when the drive belt pops off
Tman
Posts: 4145
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: My place on the CSS operating machine confirmed.... EH?????

Post by Tman »

What are operators doing putting drive belts back on?
ThatsNotPlumb
Posts: 165
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
Gender: Male

Re: My place on the CSS operating machine confirmed.... EH?????

Post by ThatsNotPlumb »

SpacePhoenix wrote:Disabling stackers generally can't be done anymore, as the batches have enough delivery points that they normally need all stackers working. Belts coming off is fairly rare, normally either the "u shaped" belt, that takes the mail round through to the leveler before the camera or when the drive belt pops off
It's completely dependent on what you are running as to whether or not the machine can have disabled stackers for whichever reason. Agreed, belts coming off are fairly rare generally I feel it's dependant on how the mail is presented that stops them coming off, but on the course they still show you how you'd go about putting some of the more complex ones back on in the main compartment.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Re: My place on the CSS operating machine confirmed.... EH?????

Post by Creditshampoo »

We have a sheet on each machine which tells us which batches can be run with however many stackers disabled.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12185
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: My place on the CSS operating machine confirmed.... EH?????

Post by SpacePhoenix »

ThatsNotPlumb wrote:It's completely dependent on what you are running as to whether or not the machine can have disabled stackers for whichever reason. Agreed, belts coming off are fairly rare generally I feel it's dependant on how the mail is presented that stops them coming off,but on the course they still show you how you'd go about putting some of the more complex ones back on in the main compartment.
For our batches apart from a couple they all need all stackers working. I think we've only a couple of batches (might be none) that can be run with another one. With the training course, nearly all the belts in the main compartment are operator ones. Some you need 2 people for as you need someone to hold it to prevent too much slack
Tman wrote:What are operators doing putting drive belts back on?
We don't we get the engineer, you don't even need to open up any of the doors to know when it's come off