ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Gadgets for Postmen

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Gadgets for Postmen

Post by wannabeek »

I love gadgets. I hope I don't get wrong for advertising but I think this is a pretty good wish-list for a postman with Christmas coming:

Waterproof cagoule (which is actually waterproof!!)
https://www.montane.co.uk/en/men/clothi ... mic-jacket

Cap with integral light:
http://panthervision.co.uk/powercap-4-led-stealth.html

Utility belt, Batman style:
https://www.niton999.co.uk/clothing-acc ... l?___SID=U

Waterproof gloves:
http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/spor ... oves-olive

Rechargeable handwarmer for when waiting for a partner between loops in the snow:
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/43822/HotRox- ... 24224643:s

Fitbit - HOW many calories did I burn today OMG! Give me another slice of Xmas pud!
https://www.fitbit.com/uk/surge

Make sure you get the Bounts membership with that Fitbit to make it pay for itself:
https://www.bounts.it/

Pen cord, useful to keep your keys on too:
http://www.ryman.co.uk/ryman-coloured-badge-reel

And something for the cheapskates who will only get something at Poundland for you anyway:
http://www.poundland.co.uk/10-pk-retractable-pens

Any more suggestions to add to my list?
cyrus
Posts: 215
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:38
Gender: Male

Re: Gadgets for Postmen

Post by cyrus »

Got to have the best base layers for wet weather....http://www.nordiclife.co.uk/collections ... st-selling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: Gadgets for Postmen

Post by jimmynailsalive »

wannabeek wrote:Rechargeable handwarmer for when waiting for a partner between loops in the snow:

Any more suggestions to add to my list?
Help your mate out!
ThatsNotPlumb
Posts: 165
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
Gender: Male

Re: Gadgets for Postmen

Post by ThatsNotPlumb »

jimmynailsalive wrote:
wannabeek wrote:Rechargeable handwarmer for when waiting for a partner between loops in the snow:

Any more suggestions to add to my list?
Help your mate out!
Pretty sure the last thing I want to do is do someone else's share of the workload. None of the loops are THAT misbalanced were he should be 10 mins behind, 5 tops.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Gadgets for Postmen

Post by wannabeek »

jimmynailsalive wrote:
wannabeek wrote:Rechargeable handwarmer for when waiting for a partner between loops in the snow:

Any more suggestions to add to my list?
Help your mate out!
Hmm.. he's in a warm van half a mile away and I'm standing on a street corner with a empty trolley. Should i send him a supportive text message? Would that help him out? Good grief.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Gadgets for Postmen

Post by datasaint »

Uniball Powertank pen, writes under water, upside down, in the cold.

http://www.cultpens.com/c/q/brands/uni- ... -powertank" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically an essential for this job if you've ever tried to write a 739 in the rain with a RM issue biro ... :arrrghhh

Another personal favourite, play your own music in the van from your bluetooth phone. Also serves as a backup phone charger.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Wirel ... 00GR2M3M8/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Gadgets for Postmen

Post by DB1100 »

I use those powertank pens,brilliant and if you really want a top notch base layer try "ussen" they are IMHO the very best there is.
For we were soldiers once,and young
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

Re: Gadgets for Postmen

Post by toomuchcoke »

Sealskinz waterproof socks can be nice too. They're warm and they keep your feet (mostly) dry. I say "mostly" because whilst the socks themselves appear to be waterproof as advertised, in a long enough rain storm a small amount of water will run down your leg and seep through where you legs go into the socks. You thus end up standing in a very small puddle of water, however since it' can't get out (due to the socks being waterproof) your feet end up warming the water up so whilst they're a bit damp they're not cold! (The socks are breathable so it's not like having your feet in plastic bags.)
bostaph
Posts: 22
Joined: 28 Mar 2012, 22:04
Gender: Male

Re: Gadgets for Postmen

Post by bostaph »

wannabeek wrote:I love gadgets. I hope I don't get wrong for advertising but I think this is a pretty good wish-list for a postman with Christmas coming:

Waterproof cagoule (which is actually waterproof!!)
https://www.montane.co.uk/en/men/clothi ... mic-jacket

Cap with integral light:
http://panthervision.co.uk/powercap-4-led-stealth.html

Utility belt, Batman style:
https://www.niton999.co.uk/clothing-acc ... l?___SID=U

Waterproof gloves:
http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/spor ... oves-olive

Rechargeable handwarmer for when waiting for a partner between loops in the snow:
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/43822/HotRox- ... 24224643:s

Fitbit - HOW many calories did I burn today OMG! Give me another slice of Xmas pud!
https://www.fitbit.com/uk/surge

Make sure you get the Bounts membership with that Fitbit to make it pay for itself:
https://www.bounts.it/

Pen cord, useful to keep your keys on too:
http://www.ryman.co.uk/ryman-coloured-badge-reel

And something for the cheapskates who will only get something at Poundland for you anyway:
http://www.poundland.co.uk/10-pk-retractable-pens

Any more suggestions to add to my list?
Having just bought a Berghaus waterproof jacket to wear under my supposedly RM storm proof jacket (also on the lookout for waterproof gloves and cap, and gaiters), I was wondering if anyone else is spending their own money just so they can stay warm and dry?
cyrus
Posts: 215
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:38
Gender: Male

Re: Gadgets for Postmen

Post by cyrus »

DB1100 wrote:I use those powertank pens,brilliant and if you really want a top notch base layer try "ussen" they are IMHO the very best there is.

Just had a look at Ussen. :thumbup How many folk complain of cold hands in this job? Base layers with thumb loops, stop that problem.
cyrus
Posts: 215
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:38
Gender: Male

Re: Gadgets for Postmen

Post by cyrus »

bostaph wrote:
wannabeek wrote:I love gadgets. I hope I don't get wrong for advertising but I think this is a pretty good wish-list for a postman with Christmas coming:

Waterproof cagoule (which is actually waterproof!!)
https://www.montane.co.uk/en/men/clothi ... mic-jacket

Cap with integral light:
http://panthervision.co.uk/powercap-4-led-stealth.html

Utility belt, Batman style:
https://www.niton999.co.uk/clothing-acc ... l?___SID=U

Waterproof gloves:
http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/spor ... oves-olive

Rechargeable handwarmer for when waiting for a partner between loops in the snow:
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/43822/HotRox- ... 24224643:s

Fitbit - HOW many calories did I burn today OMG! Give me another slice of Xmas pud!
https://www.fitbit.com/uk/surge

Make sure you get the Bounts membership with that Fitbit to make it pay for itself:
https://www.bounts.it/

Pen cord, useful to keep your keys on too:
http://www.ryman.co.uk/ryman-coloured-badge-reel

And something for the cheapskates who will only get something at Poundland for you anyway:
http://www.poundland.co.uk/10-pk-retractable-pens

Any more suggestions to add to my list?
Having just bought a Berghaus waterproof jacket to wear under my supposedly RM storm proof jacket (also on the lookout for waterproof gloves and cap, and gaiters), I was wondering if anyone else is spending their own money just so they can stay warm and dry?
I spend a fortune on clothes.RM's uniform is not fit for purpose. Gore wind stopper jackets,Woolpower thermals and Dexshell water proof socks, better than Sealskinz (I wear a merino sock liner with them as well with them). I think I must have spent over a £1000 spent on socks alone.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Gadgets for Postmen

Post by wannabeek »

Are these the Dexshell socks you'd recommend?:
http://www.dexshell.com/trekking.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do the layers come apart for washing or does the whole thing go in together?

Ah, sorry just read it properly - you have a separate merino sock liner as well so you don't have to wash the Dexshell so often. Sounds like a good idea.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Gadgets for Postmen

Post by DB1100 »

cyrus wrote:
bostaph wrote:
wannabeek wrote:I love gadgets. I hope I don't get wrong for advertising but I think this is a pretty good wish-list for a postman with Christmas coming:

Waterproof cagoule (which is actually waterproof!!)
https://www.montane.co.uk/en/men/clothi ... mic-jacket

Cap with integral light:
http://panthervision.co.uk/powercap-4-led-stealth.html

Utility belt, Batman style:
https://www.niton999.co.uk/clothing-acc ... l?___SID=U

Waterproof gloves:
http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/spor ... oves-olive

Rechargeable handwarmer for when waiting for a partner between loops in the snow:
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/43822/HotRox- ... 24224643:s

Fitbit - HOW many calories did I burn today OMG! Give me another slice of Xmas pud!
https://www.fitbit.com/uk/surge

Make sure you get the Bounts membership with that Fitbit to make it pay for itself:
https://www.bounts.it/

Pen cord, useful to keep your keys on too:
http://www.ryman.co.uk/ryman-coloured-badge-reel

And something for the cheapskates who will only get something at Poundland for you anyway:
http://www.poundland.co.uk/10-pk-retractable-pens

Any more suggestions to add to my list?
Having just bought a Berghaus waterproof jacket to wear under my supposedly RM storm proof jacket (also on the lookout for waterproof gloves and cap, and gaiters), I was wondering if anyone else is spending their own money just so they can stay warm and dry?
I spend a fortune on clothes.RM's uniform is not fit for purpose. Gore wind stopper jackets,Woolpower thermals and Dexshell water proof socks, better than Sealskinz (I wear a merino sock liner with them as well with them). I think I must have spent over a £1000 spent on socks alone.
A lot of people don't realise the importance of good sock's till it's too late,bridgedale trekkers are my favourite.
For we were soldiers once,and young
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Gadgets for Postmen

Post by DB1100 »

cyrus wrote:
DB1100 wrote:I use those powertank pens,brilliant and if you really want a top notch base layer try "ussen" they are IMHO the very best there is.

Just had a look at Ussen. :thumbup How many folk complain of cold hands in this job? Base layers with thumb loops, stop that problem.
Well worth the money mate.
For we were soldiers once,and young
RedBagMan
Posts: 1010
Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male
Location: Behind the lens

Re: Gadgets for Postmen

Post by RedBagMan »

For us "bags on backs peeps" ... futureproof !!!

Image
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...