ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Footwear
-
EssexMail
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 28 Oct 2015, 10:37
- Gender: Male
Footwear
Hi all
Starting my first job for RM next week :) And was wondering if anyone has advice on footwear please.
I did some reading on here/online but some posts look like they were a few years ago so probably not current and the uniform catalogue pdf doesnt have shoes/boots/trainers on it
I did see a recent post about Cat trainers. Am I allowed to choose/order my own as long as they are Cats please?
Im sure I will be told when I start but just wanted to get them before I begin if possible
Many kind thanks
Starting my first job for RM next week :) And was wondering if anyone has advice on footwear please.
I did some reading on here/online but some posts look like they were a few years ago so probably not current and the uniform catalogue pdf doesnt have shoes/boots/trainers on it
I did see a recent post about Cat trainers. Am I allowed to choose/order my own as long as they are Cats please?
Im sure I will be told when I start but just wanted to get them before I begin if possible
Many kind thanks
-
EssexMail
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 28 Oct 2015, 10:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Footwear
Is there a website for them please so I can have a look?
Many thanks
Many thanks
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Footwear
You won't be able to order them for a few weeks,in the meantime look at sensible walking shoes or boots,preferably waterproof with toe bumper and heel guard.
And brush up on blister care.
And brush up on blister care.
I won
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Re: Footwear
I can recommend karrimor shoes/boots which you can find on Amazon. In fact many people on hear have sworn by them. So comfy.
-
DocketLefty
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 03 Jul 2015, 22:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Footwear
*hereCreditshampoo wrote:I can recommend karrimor shoes/boots which you can find on Amazon. In fact many people on hear have sworn by them. So comfy.
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Re: Footwear
your DOM will be able to order some footwear for you within a week of you being added to PSP.
Cat Trainers are still available but not waterproof, I recommend Cat Boots, lightweight and don't take too long to wear in and totally waterproof and longer lasting on the sole that almost anything else.
Cat Trainers are still available but not waterproof, I recommend Cat Boots, lightweight and don't take too long to wear in and totally waterproof and longer lasting on the sole that almost anything else.
-
EssexMail
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 28 Oct 2015, 10:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Footwear
Hi all
Many thanks for the advice. The Karrimor do look good. Looking at fully waterprooof what about these with toe and heel bumper?
http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-ks ... e=18242990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or do they need/should/have to be leather?
Kind regards
Many thanks for the advice. The Karrimor do look good. Looking at fully waterprooof what about these with toe and heel bumper?
http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-ks ... e=18242990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or do they need/should/have to be leather?
Kind regards
-
maximus12
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 08:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Footwear
Just to point out so you know, once issued with royal mail shoes you will have to wear them, not your own, so could be a waste of money buying any.
-
salomon
- Posts: 52
- Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 21:18
- Gender: Female
Re: Footwear
Just wear something you already have that is comfortable, don't buy something new. Presumably you like walking so have something you use regularly for that.
-
Justanotherstar
- Posts: 351
- Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Footwear
maximus12 wrote:Just to point out so you know, once issued with royal mail shoes you will have to wear them, not your own, so could be a waste of money buying any.
Until you go to the doctors and get a note saying that the footwear they issue are torture devices.
Reebok Goretex are brilliant...and usually pretty cheap.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Footwear
you will be walking on delivery for approx 4 hours a day although theres wide variation depending on how easy the delivery they put you on is, so just plan on getting some shoes/ trainers that will be comfortable for that length of time.
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
Re: Footwear
I can confirm after last week that CAT trainers are NOT waterproof. Had to walk round for hours with wet socks. Yuk!doorstepped wrote:your DOM will be able to order some footwear for you within a week of you being added to PSP.
Cat Trainers are still available but not waterproof, I recommend Cat Boots, lightweight and don't take too long to wear in and totally waterproof and longer lasting on the sole that almost anything else.
-
Ulysses
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 03 Aug 2015, 21:09
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hampshire
Re: Footwear
RM issued YDS trainers have proved waterproof over my first 2 months and several heavy rain days.
I am out on delivery for 6-8 hours a day!
I ordered them on my first day at RM without any problems at all. They arrived in 2 days. Wore them 'in' for a day or two at home before actually doing a duty. I have had no issues whatsoever. I used some Karrimor's I had before these.
Agree with other comments about 'comfort' when you first go 'walk about'.
I am out on delivery for 6-8 hours a day!
I ordered them on my first day at RM without any problems at all. They arrived in 2 days. Wore them 'in' for a day or two at home before actually doing a duty. I have had no issues whatsoever. I used some Karrimor's I had before these.
Agree with other comments about 'comfort' when you first go 'walk about'.
Life is what you make it.......I make mine my own.
-
EssexMail
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 28 Oct 2015, 10:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Footwear
Thanks for the tips all :)
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Footwear
If you are going for cheapies, such as Karrimor, go for the Vibram soles, they aren't as slippy in the wet.EssexMail wrote:Hi all
Many thanks for the advice. The Karrimor do look good. Looking at fully waterprooof what about these with toe and heel bumper?
http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-ks ... e=18242990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or do they need/should/have to be leather?
Kind regards