ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

RM benefits

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
RedRich
Posts: 76
Joined: 03 Jun 2007, 10:07

RM benefits

Post by RedRich »

Looking to get a credit card for an overseas trip and see that the post office offer two cards. I dont have a courier to hand and cant get on myroyalmail for some reason and wondered if theres any better deals available for colleagues?
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: RM benefits

Post by POSTMAN »

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Re: RM benefits

Post by Creditshampoo »

Dude don't get a credit card. Google "commsave" it's a fantastic credit union.

I had never heard of it until 6 months ago, signed up and got a loan of £1000 which I really needed at the time.

Pay £20 a week (I believe you can change the amount and amount of time over you pay it off) which comes straight from my wages each Friday. No credit check.
rick184
Posts: 62
Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 21:10

Re: RM benefits

Post by rick184 »

Commsave have just launched a pre-paid debit card. It's called Engage. You can load it up and then draw cash out when you're abroad. It works via the Visa network so can be used worldwide. http://www.commsave.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

Re: RM benefits

Post by toomuchcoke »

Creditshampoo wrote:Dude don't get a credit card. Google "commsave" it's a fantastic credit union.
That won't get you the Section 75 protection you get when paying for something using a credit card, nor will it get you the better foreign currency conversion rates for spending abroad which some credit cards will get you. Though some of them then blot their copybook by hitting you with extortionate "foreign currency transaction fees". For the OP I recommend looking at Martin Lewis' Money Saving Expert website, which can generally find you the best credit card for purchases in foreign-land. (Last time I checked, it was different depending upon whether you where visiting the Eurozone or elsewhere.)

Currently using a Tesco MasterCard myself, but that's more for the added clubcard points. Pay it off in full each month and pocket the interest (£1.19 last month) I earned from transferring the money I spend on it from my current account to my savings account. Hopefully I can find a good "0% on purchases card" towards the end of the tax year because I'm contemplating buying a new bicycle, and if I can keep most of the ~£2k in my savings for a year or more then more interest for me!
1969tonka
PARCELFORCE
Posts: 98
Joined: 10 Aug 2010, 17:09
Gender: Male

Re: RM benefits

Post by 1969tonka »

Commsave do a credit check when applying for a language just to see if you have ccj's or bankrupt but they will still a prove but offer the initial loan on slightly different terms. I agree that they are very good and I find them better than penny post (I have savings with both so)