ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Changing a reserve duty with no notice?
-
richiebroon
- Posts: 58
- Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 18:48
- Gender: Male
Changing a reserve duty with no notice?
Is this allowed. Went to work this morning and was told I would not be on the duty I was assigned to and would be on another duty. Assistant manager stated operational requirements but is this covered under the reasonable notice procedure?
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?
There is no procedure called reasonable notice.
He can change you and get you to do a different duty as long as your start and finish times are not being changed, if you are being singled out and this is happening on a frequent basis then you may have a case for a grievance, but if it was just a one off then it would be seen as a reasonable request and something that should be complied with
He can change you and get you to do a different duty as long as your start and finish times are not being changed, if you are being singled out and this is happening on a frequent basis then you may have a case for a grievance, but if it was just a one off then it would be seen as a reasonable request and something that should be complied with
-
GT85
- Posts: 365
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: ASDO
Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?
Yep happens all the time at our place, all part of being a reserve, It's frustrating but shouldn't make any difference though if you are working to your hours. 
We're all here because we're not all there
-
maximus12
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 08:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?
Wait until you have thrown in half the walk and then get moved, this happens af my place. I know people who have been moved twice in one day.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?
and why some walk is more important than other walk.

-
P739
- Posts: 277
- Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 13:48
Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?
Welcome to the world of a reserve postie...Thanks Union
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?
Try prepping a round, bundling it all up, loading the van and then getting pulled off to do another duty that's still just sitting in the boxes! That's gutting.
Just gotta work your hours tho if that's all you want.
Just gotta work your hours tho if that's all you want.
-
P739
- Posts: 277
- Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 13:48
Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?
Spot on mate you have a start and finish timewannabeek wrote:Try prepping a round, bundling it all up, loading the van and then getting pulled off to do another duty that's still just sitting in the boxes! That's gutting.
Just gotta work your hours tho if that's all you want.
-
ikybear
- Posts: 43
- Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 13:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?
I'm a duty holder I get moved every day anyway. I'm day off cover so the regular works his day off and muggins has to shift! I've tried complaining to no avail. Apparently I'm too multi-talented for my own good. :(
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?
Try pushing your Rep to bring it up at the Resourcing meeting. IMHO if a Duty holder wants to work his day off he should be allowed to.....But not automatically on his own duty.... The Reserve should be delivering his rostered duty and the Postie who wants an extra days pay should cover what ever work needs to be done. But we know that doesn't happen....it's normally a case of: "If I can't do my duty I'm not going to work my day off"!ikybear wrote:I'm a duty holder I get moved every day anyway. I'm day off cover so the regular works his day off and muggins has to shift! I've tried complaining to no avail. Apparently I'm too multi-talented for my own good. :(
Staff shortages being what they are the DOM will normally fold as just say OK.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
toomuchcoke
- Posts: 309
- Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?
To be fair to the DOMs (not that I necessarily want to mind!), with people high enough up the seniority list they probably only know one/two rounds[1] so if they're working their day off there's limited choice as to where they end up whereas people lower down the food chain are generally current on more rounds.Dorset Plodder wrote:Try pushing your Rep to bring it up at the Resourcing meeting. IMHO if a Duty holder wants to work his day off he should be allowed to.....But not automatically on his own duty.... The Reserve should be delivering his rostered duty and the Postie who wants an extra days pay should cover what ever work needs to be done. But we know that doesn't happen....it's normally a case of: "If I can't do my duty I'm not going to work my day off"!
Staff shortages being what they are the DOM will normally fold as just say OK.
[1] Though I can think of a couple of them I'd quite like to be seen dropped on an urban HCT round with no warning!