ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Changing a reserve duty with no notice?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
richiebroon
Posts: 58
Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 18:48
Gender: Male

Changing a reserve duty with no notice?

Post by richiebroon »

Is this allowed. Went to work this morning and was told I would not be on the duty I was assigned to and would be on another duty. Assistant manager stated operational requirements but is this covered under the reasonable notice procedure?
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

There is no procedure called reasonable notice.

He can change you and get you to do a different duty as long as your start and finish times are not being changed, if you are being singled out and this is happening on a frequent basis then you may have a case for a grievance, but if it was just a one off then it would be seen as a reasonable request and something that should be complied with
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?

Post by GT85 »

Yep happens all the time at our place, all part of being a reserve, It's frustrating but shouldn't make any difference though if you are working to your hours. :thumbup
We're all here because we're not all there
maximus12
Posts: 76
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 08:59
Gender: Male

Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?

Post by maximus12 »

Wait until you have thrown in half the walk and then get moved, this happens af my place. I know people who have been moved twice in one day.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?

Post by Darren Bent »

and why some walk is more important than other walk.
:crazy:
P739
Posts: 277
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 13:48

Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?

Post by P739 »

Welcome to the world of a reserve postie...Thanks Union
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?

Post by wannabeek »

Try prepping a round, bundling it all up, loading the van and then getting pulled off to do another duty that's still just sitting in the boxes! That's gutting.

Just gotta work your hours tho if that's all you want.
P739
Posts: 277
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 13:48

Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?

Post by P739 »

wannabeek wrote:Try prepping a round, bundling it all up, loading the van and then getting pulled off to do another duty that's still just sitting in the boxes! That's gutting.

Just gotta work your hours tho if that's all you want.
Spot on mate you have a start and finish time :nana
ikybear
Posts: 43
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 13:17
Gender: Male

Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?

Post by ikybear »

I'm a duty holder I get moved every day anyway. I'm day off cover so the regular works his day off and muggins has to shift! I've tried complaining to no avail. Apparently I'm too multi-talented for my own good. :(
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

ikybear wrote:I'm a duty holder I get moved every day anyway. I'm day off cover so the regular works his day off and muggins has to shift! I've tried complaining to no avail. Apparently I'm too multi-talented for my own good. :(
Try pushing your Rep to bring it up at the Resourcing meeting. IMHO if a Duty holder wants to work his day off he should be allowed to.....But not automatically on his own duty.... The Reserve should be delivering his rostered duty and the Postie who wants an extra days pay should cover what ever work needs to be done. But we know that doesn't happen....it's normally a case of: "If I can't do my duty I'm not going to work my day off"!
Staff shortages being what they are the DOM will normally fold as just say OK. :no no
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

Re: Changing a reserve duty with no notice?

Post by toomuchcoke »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Try pushing your Rep to bring it up at the Resourcing meeting. IMHO if a Duty holder wants to work his day off he should be allowed to.....But not automatically on his own duty.... The Reserve should be delivering his rostered duty and the Postie who wants an extra days pay should cover what ever work needs to be done. But we know that doesn't happen....it's normally a case of: "If I can't do my duty I'm not going to work my day off"!
Staff shortages being what they are the DOM will normally fold as just say OK. :no no
To be fair to the DOMs (not that I necessarily want to mind!), with people high enough up the seniority list they probably only know one/two rounds[1] so if they're working their day off there's limited choice as to where they end up whereas people lower down the food chain are generally current on more rounds.

[1] Though I can think of a couple of them I'd quite like to be seen dropped on an urban HCT round with no warning! :dance