al3xreid↓
Re: IHR Process
Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:03 am
I'm due to go soon for exploration keyhole surgery on my ongoing problematic knee,other knee now starting to play up as well now,which is stressing me out as I'm only in my 30's..
I am currently still working my full hours,but on light duties until I go for surgery.Outwith my health worries,I will incurr a stage 3 warning as soon as I go off after my surgery .
I have been assured by my local rep and DOM has said each individual case is looked at.And everything they know will be taken into account,as it's an ongoing health situation.That I'm trying to rectify by getting surgery.
(1) Should I be worried about my job?
(2) Should I consider IHR,if possible?
Any advice would be much appreciated !!.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
ADVICE NEEDED IHR/HEALTH ISSUES.
-
al3xreid
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 16 Sep 2011, 15:49
- Gender: Male
-
Guevarista
- Posts: 79
- Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 17:38
- Gender: Male
Re: ADVICE NEEDED IHR/HEALTH ISSUES.
Hi, you really need to get referred (re-referred?) to occupational health. Before speaking to OH, speak to your rep. (or someone who's familiar with OH procedure), with a view to having your condition covered by the Equality Act - formerly the DDA. It needs to be a condition that has lasted, or is likely to last, for 12 months or more AND has a significant effect on your day to day activities, at home and in work. Your rep. can provide more details.
Do not rely on the 'discretion' of your DOM to discount a Stage 3 (now known as a 'review 3'), as it is most likely not in her/his hands (most DOMs nowadays don't have high enough grading to make firing decisions, so ends up in the lap of a DSM who won't know you from Adam).
If your local rep. lacks the experience, ask her/him to arrange a chat/meeting with a branch official who I'm certain will be able to steer you through the process.
Good luck.
(PS - I'm a local rep who's also been 'canned' by the attendance procedure on 3 occasions - won each appeal on procedure/DDA grounds. Nonetheless, wouldn't want you to go through all that stress!... So get it sorted ASAP. :) )
Do not rely on the 'discretion' of your DOM to discount a Stage 3 (now known as a 'review 3'), as it is most likely not in her/his hands (most DOMs nowadays don't have high enough grading to make firing decisions, so ends up in the lap of a DSM who won't know you from Adam).
If your local rep. lacks the experience, ask her/him to arrange a chat/meeting with a branch official who I'm certain will be able to steer you through the process.
Good luck.
(PS - I'm a local rep who's also been 'canned' by the attendance procedure on 3 occasions - won each appeal on procedure/DDA grounds. Nonetheless, wouldn't want you to go through all that stress!... So get it sorted ASAP. :) )
-
Guevarista
- Posts: 79
- Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 17:38
- Gender: Male
Re: ADVICE NEEDED IHR/HEALTH ISSUES.
Sorry just noticed you're MC.... replace DOM with line/section manager.... rest still applies!
-
al3xreid
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 16 Sep 2011, 15:49
- Gender: Male
Re: ADVICE NEEDED IHR/HEALTH ISSUES.
Cheers for the advice,it's much appreciated (I'm delivery office based,not MC)
DOM/REP have already been in touch with AREA REP/MANAGER,as far as I have been told with regards to my ongoing situation.But will spk my rep about The equality act as my condition has been ongoing for over 1 year now.
DOM/REP have already been in touch with AREA REP/MANAGER,as far as I have been told with regards to my ongoing situation.But will spk my rep about The equality act as my condition has been ongoing for over 1 year now.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: ADVICE NEEDED IHR/HEALTH ISSUES.
This has stuck a chord. I was diagnosed with osteo-arthritis in one knee. Had 3 weeks laid up and then a month on LD before slowly working back up to a full round again. Permanently on opiate painkillers but only 2 each day before I start the walk. Got a stage one, the DIM was OK to be fair. 9 months later and the other knee gone, suspected osteo-arthritis again. Signed-off for 2 weeks rest and in quite a bit of discomfort. I presume that as this has occurred more than 6 months after the first stage that I am back on stage one?
OK, this seems like a derail to the OP's post. It's not, as I'm about to explain: I looked at my letter from the OHA (ATOS?) I received 9 months back. It actually states 'Mr. Limp is considered to have a disability' and I think the OP should check any paperwork he was given before.
IF 'disability' is mentioned does this affect either the OP's or my stage-status? What consideration should be made in these cases?
Like the OP presumably I'm awaiting an appointment for a scan/x-ray. Can they force IHR on you against your will BEFORE stage 3, or if you insist your condition can be managed and can return to normal duties do they have to give you the chance?
OK, this seems like a derail to the OP's post. It's not, as I'm about to explain: I looked at my letter from the OHA (ATOS?) I received 9 months back. It actually states 'Mr. Limp is considered to have a disability' and I think the OP should check any paperwork he was given before.
IF 'disability' is mentioned does this affect either the OP's or my stage-status? What consideration should be made in these cases?
Like the OP presumably I'm awaiting an appointment for a scan/x-ray. Can they force IHR on you against your will BEFORE stage 3, or if you insist your condition can be managed and can return to normal duties do they have to give you the chance?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: ADVICE NEEDED IHR/HEALTH ISSUES.
http://www.cwu.org/assets/_files/docume ... nce_Pr.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For a fuller picture read this section
Page 39 Managing absence and disability guide
However, part of it does say:
Does an employee’s absence count as part
of the formal attendance process?
Any absence that is considered to be related
to an employee’s disability will still be reviewed
but should normally be discounted as part of
the formal attendance process.
For a fuller picture read this section
Page 39 Managing absence and disability guide
However, part of it does say:
Does an employee’s absence count as part
of the formal attendance process?
Any absence that is considered to be related
to an employee’s disability will still be reviewed
but should normally be discounted as part of
the formal attendance process.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: ADVICE NEEDED IHR/HEALTH ISSUES.
(1) The fact is management are well aware of your knee problem and which you are trying to remedy by keyhole explorative surgery and have been forewarned that at some stage you will be entering hospital and will require recuperation time. As this is corrective surgery in an effort for you to continue and be able to complete your signed duty then on the merits of your particular case I fail to see how a stage 3 would be issued and wouldn't worry about your job. I notice you have not stated if there has been any OH Assist involvement and if it was their recommendation that you be placed on light duties or management made the decision.al3xreid wrote:al3xreid↓
Re: IHR Process
Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:03 am
I'm due to go soon for exploration keyhole surgery on my ongoing problematic knee,other knee now starting to play up as well now,which is stressing me out as I'm only in my 30's..
I am currently still working my full hours,but on light duties until I go for surgery.Outwith my health worries,I will incurr a stage 3 warning as soon as I go off after my surgery .
I have been assured by my local rep and DOM has said each individual case is looked at.And everything they know will be taken into account,as it's an ongoing health situation.That I'm trying to rectify by getting surgery.
(1) Should I be worried about my job?
(2) Should I consider IHR,if possible?
Any advice would be much appreciated !!.
(2) To consider IHR when you are only in your 30s would be premature and it would be best to wait the prognosis of your condition after surgery and specialist reports before you come to considering IHR.
-
al3xreid
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 16 Sep 2011, 15:49
- Gender: Male
Re: ADVICE NEEDED IHR/HEALTH ISSUES.
Thanks again for all the advice.Just to let you know I was advised at my clinic appointment at hospital and own GP appointment about not continuing on full duties,due to worsening condition of my knee.For which I received a doctors line until I go for surgery.
Like I mentioned my knee issues have been ongoing for over a year now,Had contact initially with OH last year about my problem,which they set up a plan at work initially whilst I was receiving physio.But was only set up to ease me back into full duties.But now back to square one, and feel I should get in contact with them again ASAP.
And with regards to IHR ,it's something I would only consider as a last resort .If surgery was unsuccessful and knee problems was going to be a longterm problem..
Like I mentioned my knee issues have been ongoing for over a year now,Had contact initially with OH last year about my problem,which they set up a plan at work initially whilst I was receiving physio.But was only set up to ease me back into full duties.But now back to square one, and feel I should get in contact with them again ASAP.
And with regards to IHR ,it's something I would only consider as a last resort .If surgery was unsuccessful and knee problems was going to be a longterm problem..
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: ADVICE NEEDED IHR/HEALTH ISSUES.
Thanks.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:http://www.cwu.org/assets/_files/docume ... nce_Pr.pdf
For a fuller picture read this section
Page 39 Managing absence and disability guide
However, part of it does say:
Does an employee’s absence count as part
of the formal attendance process?
Any absence that is considered to be related
to an employee’s disability will still be reviewed
but should normally be discounted as part of
the formal attendance process.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: ADVICE NEEDED IHR/HEALTH ISSUES.
al3xreid wrote:Thanks again for all the advice.Just to let you know I was advised at my clinic appointment at hospital and own GP appointment about not continuing on full duties,due to worsening condition of my knee.For which I received a doctors line until I go for surgery.
Like I mentioned my knee issues have been ongoing for over a year now,Had contact initially with OH last year about my problem,which they set up a plan at work initially whilst I was receiving physio.But was only set up to ease me back into full duties.But now back to square one, and feel I should get in contact with them again ASAP.
And with regards to IHR ,it's something I would only consider as a last resort .If surgery was unsuccessful and knee problems was going to be a longterm problem..
This is what I was getting at - does your ATOS/OH paperwork mention 'disability'? It did in my case due to osteo-a being a permanent condition, and obviously your condition is your business but should it prove to be permanent in any way then the OH paperwork should reflect that. That is good for the reasons mentioned before, as you can wave it under their noses if they get sh*tty about stages and thus not feel the doubts or worry you do now.
-
al3xreid
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 16 Sep 2011, 15:49
- Gender: Male
Re: ADVICE NEEDED IHR/HEALTH ISSUES.
After over a year struggling with problematic knee,joint pain,I finally had exploratory Arthroscopy in December.To hopefully find a solution and fix the problem.
But sadly knee isn't any better,6 weeks after surgery.I am still relying on pain relief .Even though I done everything I was meant to do from resting and light exercising.And now having a lot bother with fingers and hands swelling & other knee,joint pain.Which is worrying...
I am due In for a management meeting in next few days to discuss my absence .I have still had no contact from OH yet,even though I had asked for it couple of weeks after surgery??....
Not sure what to do next,as my health has got to come first,and as things stand I'm unable to do much due to it !!!!..
But sadly knee isn't any better,6 weeks after surgery.I am still relying on pain relief .Even though I done everything I was meant to do from resting and light exercising.And now having a lot bother with fingers and hands swelling & other knee,joint pain.Which is worrying...
I am due In for a management meeting in next few days to discuss my absence .I have still had no contact from OH yet,even though I had asked for it couple of weeks after surgery??....
Not sure what to do next,as my health has got to come first,and as things stand I'm unable to do much due to it !!!!..
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: ADVICE NEEDED IHR/HEALTH ISSUES.
Give it time, I'm just coming up from 10 weeks since knee arthroscopy with microfracture of rear of kneecap to help regenerate defect in cartilage. I was only able to dispense with crutches ~7 weeks after op, and was back in on light duties after 8 weeks. Pretty knackered after a miles walk (as per physios instructions). Still not heard from OH, and I'm expecting at least another few weeks on indoor duties till I can regain enough strength to build up onto delivery.al3xreid wrote:After over a year struggling with problematic knee,joint pain,I finally had exploratory Arthroscopy in December.To hopefully find a solution and fix the problem.
But sadly knee isn't any better,6 weeks after surgery.I am still relying on pain relief .Even though I done everything I was meant to do from resting and light exercising.And now having a lot bother with fingers and hands swelling & other knee,joint pain.Which is worrying...
I am due In for a management meeting in next few days to discuss my absence .I have still had no contact from OH yet,even though I had asked for it couple of weeks after surgery??....
Not sure what to do next,as my health has got to come first,and as things stand I'm unable to do much due to it !!!!..
Anyway, good luck, keep us updated with your progress.