ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

the job in delivery is ruined.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
comeracing
Posts: 806
Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
Gender: Male

the job in delivery is ruined.

Post by comeracing »

Right a few months back our rep got us in the canteen,to tell us RM are considering putting start and finish times back,so later start time and finish,this was down to some of our staff having nothing to do for 20 odd minutes,before our last lot of mail came in,these members of staff have been coming in 30 minutes before there start time,the rep told everyone to come in on time,did they take any notice did they f**k.Told today start times going back 30/45 minutes,and that includes us full timers,what a joke,these idiots have ruined everything,i have children to pick up from school and other issues on going at the moment and also a life outside of work,a few members of staff have said they are going to work to time,but will they? im afraid nobody sticks together in our office,they are all mouth no action,I for one have had enough now I will be finishing to time from next week,what is my best plan of action,do I put it in writing to the dom,presume if I did that I would not have to tell them every morning that I was finishing on time,at an all time low now and totally cheesed off. :evil/mad :thumbdown :cry
Pidleypoo
Posts: 705
Joined: 17 Dec 2014, 10:05
Gender: Male

Re: the job in delivery is ruined.

Post by Pidleypoo »

It's the same in our office as regards to people giving them time. Some examples are coming in early for no pay, not taking any breaks and putting the next days d2d together at the end of shift in their own time. Some give 2 hours a day.and can you tell these people, no they don't listen. Best of it is, if you go on their duty mgmt are asking why you are cutting off / claiming it's absolutely mental.
beezet
Posts: 93
Joined: 06 Dec 2013, 18:56
Gender: Male

Re: the job in delivery is ruined.

Post by beezet »

Yes, my partner, who was on 34hrs, has been moved to a rural and full time at the moment, my new partner is on 25 hrs,so now i have two duties to sort and bundle up and load van, plus i was told i have to make up D2D for both duties,as the figures say i have time for this, this has made me so tired of the job, went to manager after 2 weeks of this, but was told partner would not be made up to 34 hrs, i have had enough, told manager no more overtime from now on.I am the oldest postie in our office with just one year to go, have asked to buy done or get early retirement, I want out now, the whole job has went down the pan.
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

Re: the job in delivery is ruined.

Post by Shaders »

I over heard someone say earlier today, "oh if i go over i dont bother booking any overtime"

Its prats like him who have killed it for all of us.
The job is on its way out, just a question of how long
sarcastixx
Posts: 3
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 18:22
Gender: Male

Re: the job in delivery is ruined.

Post by sarcastixx »

My guess is the problems listed by the OP are shared across all DO's. My own experience as a part timer (27.5hr) and walking into my DO to find most of the duties already half way tying down (or further). In busier periods, like now, it is absolutely impossible to complete my run in 4.15hrs by starting bang on the start time. My boss knows this and turns a blind eye to an earlier start time (20mins at most, usually 15). Sick of hearing people moan about PT's starting before their official time - only reason it is done is so we can finish ON time. Not our fault that we are stuck on a run with a totally unrealistic schedule to stick to.
Our lovely amazon friends have made it even harder already with their cut price tat and the oversize yorks have been overflowing relentlessly for the past fortnight, and this is before the black friday/xmas rush. Doesn't make it any easier when there is not a full timer on my run. Only blessing is that the guys in my depot are hard grafters and do their best to have all mail/flats/packets up in the frames for us coming in.
Yes, we have had the discussions at WTL. Yes, management know about it. Yes, the planners have had a look (and done absolutely fa). No union rep at present, and I am not in the CWU anyway.
I was also out on loan for 8 months to another DO in the region where it was horrendously worse. In there, the rule was (supposed) to be no tying down until ALL packets were up on the frames. NOBODY stuck to this. Coupled with the fact that the part time contracts in there were 29hrs, this meant me having to do an extra 18mins sequencing each day unpaid. Lies and fob offs from management didn't help. Full timers were up in arms as soon as they spotted anybody even a few minutes early! Ironically, the runs there were soooooo easy; over summer I was back home for before 1.30 most days. Totally unfair when the runs there are signed off as 4.15hrs. Even the frames are half the size compared t ours. I was scunnered with it, felt like I was cheating by not doing a full shift while my mates in my main DO were out busting their guts to finish time (and over). Point blank refusing to go back there until that place gets sorted.

Not posting the above with a view to getting it sorted, just throwing it out there to see if any other people have experienced similar.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: the job in delivery is ruined.

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

comeracing wrote:I for one have had enough now I will be finishing to time from next week,what is my best plan of action,do I put it in writing to the dom,presume if I did that I would not have to tell them every morning that I was finishing on time,at an all time low now and totally cheesed off. :evil/mad :thumbdown :cry

it is worth while putting it in writing for the DOM but be aware you are still going to need to inform him any and every morning that you wont be able to complete on time, you need to follow the over running deliveries procedure which means informing the dom as soon as you realise each day that you wont be able to complete on time, so your letter will(should) stop the hassle of him asking why you wont work over, but wont stop him asking why you cant complete on time, that arguement will probably arise quite often of you are going to be cutting off a lot
ThatsNotPlumb
Posts: 165
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
Gender: Male

Re: the job in delivery is ruined.

Post by ThatsNotPlumb »

comeracing wrote:Right a few months back our rep got us in the canteen,to tell us RM are considering putting start and finish times back,so later start time and finish,this was down to some of our staff having nothing to do for 20 odd minutes,before our last lot of mail came in,these members of staff have been coming in 30 minutes before there start time,the rep told everyone to come in on time,did they take any notice did they f**k.Told today start times going back 30/45 minutes,and that includes us full timers,what a joke,these idiots have ruined everything,i have children to pick up from school and other issues on going at the moment and also a life outside of work,a few members of staff have said they are going to work to time,but will they? im afraid nobody sticks together in our office,they are all mouth no action,I for one have had enough now I will be finishing to time from next week,what is my best plan of action,do I put it in writing to the dom,presume if I did that I would not have to tell them every morning that I was finishing on time,at an all time low now and totally cheesed off. :evil/mad :thumbdown :cry
My guess is it's more like the majority of you have nothing to do for 20 odd minutes each day or yous are standing around waiting on your last load of mail, both people starting on time & early & they've adjusted the start times so better reflect your transit arrivals. 30-45 minute forwards or backwards isn't really a massive change or overhaul to the system, like they could do that in every single office if they wanted to just to get every last drip of mail out of MC's & into DO's.
comeracing
Posts: 806
Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
Gender: Male

Re: the job in delivery is ruined.

Post by comeracing »

ThatsNotPlumb wrote:
comeracing wrote:Right a few months back our rep got us in the canteen,to tell us RM are considering putting start and finish times back,so later start time and finish,this was down to some of our staff having nothing to do for 20 odd minutes,before our last lot of mail came in,these members of staff have been coming in 30 minutes before there start time,the rep told everyone to come in on time,did they take any notice did they f**k.Told today start times going back 30/45 minutes,and that includes us full timers,what a joke,these idiots have ruined everything,i have children to pick up from school and other issues on going at the moment and also a life outside of work,a few members of staff have said they are going to work to time,but will they? im afraid nobody sticks together in our office,they are all mouth no action,I for one have had enough now I will be finishing to time from next week,what is my best plan of action,do I put it in writing to the dom,presume if I did that I would not have to tell them every morning that I was finishing on time,at an all time low now and totally cheesed off. :evil/mad :thumbdown :cry
My guess is it's more like the majority of you have nothing to do for 20 odd minutes each day or yous are standing around waiting on your last load of mail, both people starting on time & early & they've adjusted the start times so better reflect your transit arrivals. 30-45 minute forwards or backwards isn't really a massive change or overhaul to the system, like they could do that in every single office if they wanted to just to get every last drip of mail out of MC's & into DO's.
No the mail is coming in at the same time it allways has done.most of us are busy until mail arrives its just the idiots who come in early,have you read my post,start and finish times keep going back year on year,i take it you have an easy duty or you don't have children at school,or you do not have a life outside of work,this company is getting driven into the ground ,I like many other do NOT want a 9-5 job,customers want there mail at a reasonable time :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: the job in delivery is ruined.

Post by terry2972 »

sarcastixx wrote:My guess is the problems listed by the OP are shared across all DO's. My own experience as a part timer (27.5hr) and walking into my DO to find most of the duties already half way tying down (or further). In busier periods, like now, it is absolutely impossible to complete my run in 4.15hrs by starting bang on the start time. My boss knows this and turns a blind eye to an earlier start time (20mins at most, usually 15). Sick of hearing people moan about PT's starting before their official time - only reason it is done is so we can finish ON time. Not our fault that we are stuck on a run with a totally unrealistic schedule to stick to.
Our lovely amazon friends have made it even harder already with their cut price tat and the oversize yorks have been overflowing relentlessly for the past fortnight, and this is before the black friday/xmas rush. Doesn't make it any easier when there is not a full timer on my run. Only blessing is that the guys in my depot are hard grafters and do their best to have all mail/flats/packets up in the frames for us coming in.
Yes, we have had the discussions at WTL. Yes, management know about it. Yes, the planners have had a look (and done absolutely fa). No union rep at present, and I am not in the CWU anyway.
I was also out on loan for 8 months to another DO in the region where it was horrendously worse. In there, the rule was (supposed) to be no tying down until ALL packets were up on the frames. NOBODY stuck to this. Coupled with the fact that the part time contracts in there were 29hrs, this meant me having to do an extra 18mins sequencing each day unpaid. Lies and fob offs from management didn't help. Full timers were up in arms as soon as they spotted anybody even a few minutes early! Ironically, the runs there were soooooo easy; over summer I was back home for before 1.30 most days. Totally unfair when the runs there are signed off as 4.15hrs. Even the frames are half the size compared t ours. I was scunnered with it, felt like I was cheating by not doing a full shift while my mates in my main DO were out busting their guts to finish time (and over). Point blank refusing to go back there until that place gets sorted.

Not posting the above with a view to getting it sorted, just throwing it out there to see if any other people have experienced similar.
Why do you work for nothing? You have a start time and a finish if you can't complete claim or cut off it's not hard never work for nothing
I do a lot of overtime but never ever work for nothing
sarcastixx
Posts: 3
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 18:22
Gender: Male

Re: the job in delivery is ruined.

Post by sarcastixx »

Why do you work for nothing? You have a start time and a finish if you can't complete claim or cut off it's not hard never work for nothing
I do a lot of overtime but never ever work for nothing
You have automatically assumed that if I go over my time I don't claim. Of course I bloody do. Don't bother with trying to tell me what I "should" do.
If I decide to put in a little bit extra in the morning to help me finish on my time on heavy load days then that is exactly what I will do. I have done more OT this year than most of the entire rural DO combined that I was given out on loan to.
The real cold hard fact is that deep down we all know NOTHING changes. We jump up and down and shout but we know it falls on deaf ears.
I've accepted that if I don't do that little bit extra to help my duty then I will be over time most days. Not by a lot, but enough to add up.
When I was in the RAF going above and beyone was commonplace, and accepted, albeit for entirely different reasons.
We did it to get the fkin JOB DONE. Simple as.
It's not about working for nothing, it is doing what it takes to make sure that I DONT need to work for nothing.

Being out with people who refuse to go over their time (even by 10 mins) don't realise how selfish they are.
They wonder how their colleague(s) are so cheesed off at them? Here's why. It's beacause they have to drive you back to the depot. Then they have to come back out and finish off the bag that they were in the middle of because of YOUR "right" to cut off. Then they have to take up the fight with DOM to get OT because of the little hissy fit and dummy out the pram showcase from their colleague that was absolutely no fault of their own.

One thing you mention though - "Its not hard". Spot on. This job is not a science or art form, in fact it is the most overpaid job for an unskilled workforce. Can't for the life of me work out why there are so many primadonnas on the same pay grade who think they can tell others what is best for them, because they have "rights".
Last edited by sarcastixx on 09 Nov 2015, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: the job in delivery is ruined.

Post by aiden01 »

so how are u not working for nothing if u start 15 to 20 mins early every day :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
sarcastixx
Posts: 3
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 18:22
Gender: Male

Re: the job in delivery is ruined.

Post by sarcastixx »

aiden01 wrote:so how are u not working for nothing if u start 15 to 20 mins early every day :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
Already explained that. That aint my view. See it as you will. I'm past caring about explaining myself to pussies who just want to cry about why they have "rights" instead of focussing on the work at hand. Never been amongst a bigger bunch of little cry babies who turn on their colleagues instead of seeing that the problems are actually caused by things much bigger and out of their control.
Pathetic.
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: the job in delivery is ruined.

Post by jimmynailsalive »

aiden01 wrote:so how are u not working for nothing if u start 15 to 20 mins early every day :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
I couldn't understand that bit either, has this poster been re-incarnated as the anger and stance along with the military seems to remind me of someone else :hmmmm
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: the job in delivery is ruined.

Post by aiden01 »

are you trolling or a manager
Flashman_
Posts: 363
Joined: 05 Jan 2010, 00:08
Gender: Male

Re: the job in delivery is ruined.

Post by Flashman_ »

To sarcasitxx
From my experience, you are paid daily 24hours a day in the forces, so you are obliged to work when you are told to. At RM you are paid by the hour.
Simply choosing to ignore that you are starting early does not mean its okay, It gives management the impression that you feel you are under-performing, so they will not change anything, as they assume it is your failing, not theirs.
Rounding on other staff because they want to finish on time is a very misguided attitude too.