ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Missing package?
-
camelelf
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Missing package?
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can advise me on what the process is for a missing package.
Finished my first week with Royal Mail last week and today I was told a package I tried to deliver on Friday has gone missing.
Although I can't remember the exact moment I attempted to deliver it, I did leave a card and then wrote F/L 30/10 on the package as I was told to.
My partner fell and injured herself whilst i was delivering that bundle and two managers came out. One of them took back all the form lefts/undeliverables in his car. I can't be 100% certain he took this package, but I certainly remember handing him some packages.
Has anyone experienced something similar before? The package was a standard, not tracked or signed for.
Finished my first week with Royal Mail last week and today I was told a package I tried to deliver on Friday has gone missing.
Although I can't remember the exact moment I attempted to deliver it, I did leave a card and then wrote F/L 30/10 on the package as I was told to.
My partner fell and injured herself whilst i was delivering that bundle and two managers came out. One of them took back all the form lefts/undeliverables in his car. I can't be 100% certain he took this package, but I certainly remember handing him some packages.
Has anyone experienced something similar before? The package was a standard, not tracked or signed for.
-
maximus12
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 08:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Missing package?
I'm sure someone will be along with more info for you shortly but to stop you worrying in the mean time these things happen. Sometimes things you personally handed in to the locker can't be found, i presume they turn up in the end. I've been asked before about a parcel, and nothing more gets said. The fact it's not a tracked or special delivery is good, never ever lose a special delivery.
It sounds like the manager that took it in his car has put it in the wrong place or something similar but as i said don't worry about it.
It sounds like the manager that took it in his car has put it in the wrong place or something similar but as i said don't worry about it.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Missing package?
The packet could be any number of places, in a bag, missorted in the locker, handed out incorrectly from the locker, put back out on delivery.
These things happen but as said be extra vigilante with specials.
PS Join the union if the haven't already. http://www.cwu.org/join-cwu-postal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These things happen but as said be extra vigilante with specials.
PS Join the union if the haven't already. http://www.cwu.org/join-cwu-postal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
camelelf
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Missing package?
Welp, I figured out what happened.
When my partner was injured, I was delivering with the other manager. When we were back at the depot she asked me to deliver a tracked parcel that we forgot. The street was next to mine so I agreed as she's the only manager that's been helpful.
She placed it in my pouch and told me to go straight away and the missing package was hidden away in that pouch. I forgot all about it and even asked my partner to lend me a pouch as I didn't think I had one!
I've just driven back to the office and told the only manager there the whole story. Hopefully it's just seen as what it is was, an honest mistake.
When my partner was injured, I was delivering with the other manager. When we were back at the depot she asked me to deliver a tracked parcel that we forgot. The street was next to mine so I agreed as she's the only manager that's been helpful.
She placed it in my pouch and told me to go straight away and the missing package was hidden away in that pouch. I forgot all about it and even asked my partner to lend me a pouch as I didn't think I had one!
I've just driven back to the office and told the only manager there the whole story. Hopefully it's just seen as what it is was, an honest mistake.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Missing package?
DO NOT WORRY Camelelf Shite Happens! Nobody dies in this business if we get it wrong. 
Imagine the millions of parcels we deliver, I'd be very surprised if some didn't go adrift. Normally they've just had a complaint come through the system and they're just trying to get some info.
I had one the other day, left a parcel in a safe place and the customer says he never got it.He was on Holiday. PHG says he was a bit too keen inquiring about how he could claim comp, and thinks he's probably just a thieving bastard.
Moral of this story don't piss the Postie off! His Missus orders loads of stuff (a real E-Bay Babe) and what with Christmas coming up she'll be ordering all the kids prezzies. Guess where she's going to be coming to pick them up? That's right our Delivery Office! And thats a 15 mile round trip!
Imagine the millions of parcels we deliver, I'd be very surprised if some didn't go adrift. Normally they've just had a complaint come through the system and they're just trying to get some info.
I had one the other day, left a parcel in a safe place and the customer says he never got it.He was on Holiday. PHG says he was a bit too keen inquiring about how he could claim comp, and thinks he's probably just a thieving bastard.
Moral of this story don't piss the Postie off! His Missus orders loads of stuff (a real E-Bay Babe) and what with Christmas coming up she'll be ordering all the kids prezzies. Guess where she's going to be coming to pick them up? That's right our Delivery Office! And thats a 15 mile round trip!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
delfranklin1969
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Missing package?
I've lost the odd package and never so much as had a bollocking! It does happen but as has been stated, be very careful with the specials as its those they come down on you.
-
PistolPete
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 07 Feb 2015, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Missing package?
Yes, punishing customers of our customers who pay your wages is a cracking idea! When that customer complains to our customer, do you think our customer may look for an alternative delivery solution?dfubster wrote:I LOVE punishing people like this!!Moral of this story don't piss the Postie off! His Missus orders loads of stuff (a real E-Bay Babe) and what with Christmas coming up she'll be ordering all the kids prezzies. Guess where she's going to be coming to pick them up? That's right our Delivery Office! And thats a 15 mile round trip!
-
PistolPete
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 07 Feb 2015, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Missing package?
Maybe not the first time it happens, maybe not the second time but if the seller gets enough complaints about delivery I'm certain they would consider an alternative service. Have you seen the number of competitors out there?dfubster wrote:Sorry, for those of us without a sense of humour, I should've but the first part of the quote in
I had one the other day, left a parcel in a safe place and the customer says he never got it.He was on Holiday. PHG says he was a bit too keen inquiring about how he could claim comp, and thinks he's probably just a thieving bastard.But anyway, you think that would happen? Really? An item gets taken to your local DO rather than left in your "safeplace", you tell this to your amazon marketplace seller (or whoever) is their first thought going to be "Well, I must change courier now" or is it more likely to be "But you got it though? Ok, so why are you telling me?"Moral of this story don't piss the Postie off! His Missus orders loads of stuff (a real E-Bay Babe) and what with Christmas coming up she'll be ordering all the kids prezzies. Guess where she's going to be coming to pick them up? That's right our Delivery Office! And thats a 15 mile round trip!
I LOVE punishing people like this!!
Yes, punishing customers of our customers who pay your wages is a cracking idea! When that customer complains to our customer, do you think our customer may look for an alternative delivery solution?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Missing package?
PistolPete wrote:Yes, punishing customers of our customers who pay your wages is a cracking idea! When that customer complains to our customer, do you think our customer may look for an alternative delivery solution?dfubster wrote:I LOVE punishing people like this!!Moral of this story don't piss the Postie off! His Missus orders loads of stuff (a real E-Bay Babe) and what with Christmas coming up she'll be ordering all the kids prezzies. Guess where she's going to be coming to pick them up? That's right our Delivery Office! And thats a 15 mile round trip!
I think you have picked up the "punishing" part of this thread and thought, that's wrong. In principle it is, but in this particular case the "punishment" is actually to follow the correct procedure and return the item to the callers office ready for collection. In fact now there is a question of security raised at this particular address, it is now more imperative that the proper procedure is followed, and in fact there is an argument of precedence and "leaving with a neighbour" is no longer possible.
I agree "punishing" may not be the correct terminology, but here on this unofficial board it got the gist of what I said above, but in a lot more concise and a lot less wordy way. Sometimes it's better to read the intended meaning of a phrase, rather the literal meaning of a word.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Missing package?
Thanks for clarifying that point TBT!
Since this incident other packets have been ordered, and have been 739d. The other Posties in the office have all lent their support in showing a united front.
I believe whatever compo he may have made from that parcel has been far outweighed by the amount of GBH he's probably getting from his Missus! Perhaps he'll think twice before trying to drop a Postie in the shite again?
After all we're not just some random courier who turns up every now and then...... We're Royal Mail....We know where you live!
I believe whatever compo he may have made from that parcel has been far outweighed by the amount of GBH he's probably getting from his Missus! Perhaps he'll think twice before trying to drop a Postie in the shite again?
After all we're not just some random courier who turns up every now and then...... We're Royal Mail....We know where you live!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
meercat
- Posts: 814
- Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Missing package?
OUR customers are the companies and individuals who POST the items NOT the recipients. So yes the posters will quickly turn to other delivery firms if we keep leaving parcels in unsafe 'safe places' and they keep going missing and the recipients ask for a replacement!!!PistolPete wrote:
Yes, punishing customers of our customers who pay your wages is a cracking idea! When that customer complains to our customer, do you think our customer may look for an alternative delivery solution?
Remember the most important person involved with any packet is THE SENDER not the person asking you to leave it in their 'safeplace' so that they can claim they didn't get it.
Who pays our wages??? The POSTER.
-
PistolPete
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 07 Feb 2015, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Missing package?
You may want to read my post again - my apologies if I've not made it clear enough that the sender pays our wages.meercat wrote:PistolPete wrote:
Yes, punishing customers of our customers who pay your wages is a cracking idea! When that customer complains to our customer, do you think our customer may look for an alternative delivery solution?
Who pays our wages??? The POSTER.
-
PistolPete
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 07 Feb 2015, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Missing package?
Unfortunately, I'm not clever enough to read the mind of a poster and discover "the intended meaning of the phrase." However. the "I LOVE" in capitals rather gives away the enjoyment gained in pissing off a member of the public.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:PistolPete wrote:Yes, punishing customers of our customers who pay your wages is a cracking idea! When that customer complains to our customer, do you think our customer may look for an alternative delivery solution?dfubster wrote:I LOVE punishing people like this!!Moral of this story don't piss the Postie off! His Missus orders loads of stuff (a real E-Bay Babe) and what with Christmas coming up she'll be ordering all the kids prezzies. Guess where she's going to be coming to pick them up? That's right our Delivery Office! And thats a 15 mile round trip!
Sometimes it's better to read the intended meaning of a phrase, rather the literal meaning of a word.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Missing package?
No mind reading needed.
A postie left an item in an unofficial safe place.
The receiver's partner claimed he never got it.
The postie is now using the official and correct processes because of the actions of the partner.
Context is the key isn't it.
A postie left an item in an unofficial safe place.
The receiver's partner claimed he never got it.
The postie is now using the official and correct processes because of the actions of the partner.
Does it though. It can be read that he likes to piss off all customers when he gets the chance - or - he could be saying that using the correct procedure after a false claim may piss off the customer but its the safest thing to do in future.PistolPete wrote:However. the "I LOVE" in capitals rather gives away the enjoyment gained in pissing off a member of the public.dfubster wrote:
I LOVE punishing people like this!!
Our customer in this scenario would I hope be grateful that we are ensuring the correct customer receives the item, rather than a chance of a claim against them because it was left in an unauthorised location.PistolPete wrote:Yes, punishing customers of our customers who pay your wages is a cracking idea! When that customer complains to our customer, do you think our customer may look for an alternative delivery solution?
Context is the key isn't it.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
meercat
- Posts: 814
- Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Missing package?
TBF your sentence is so clumsily written it's clear why I misunderstood the point you were trying to make. I accept your apology.PistolPete wrote:You may want to read my post again - my apologies if I've not made it clear enough that the sender pays our wages.meercat wrote:PistolPete wrote:
Yes, punishing customers of our customers who pay your wages is a cracking idea! When that customer complains to our customer, do you think our customer may look for an alternative delivery solution?
Who pays our wages??? The POSTER.