ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Is it me?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ikybear
Posts: 43
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 13:17
Gender: Male

Is it me?

Post by ikybear »

So...
Way back in Feb I injured my knee outside of work. I asked for help at the time as it was 2 days before I was due on leave and got told nope there's only you to do the round. So I carried on.
And carried on all summer. And it didn't really improve.

Beginning of September I couldn't take the pain anymore and had a couple of days off to see what the GP could do. Drugs and physio booked I went back to work.
Off again beginning of Oct due to pain and allowed myself to be persuaded back to work on "light duties". Again I asked for help. Could I maybe be put into one of the shorter walks? There are plenty of vacancies. Light duties lasted a day before I was put back onto 4.5/5 hour walks.
Off sick again and this time returned with a sick note for reduced walking/indoor work and an OH referal. Managed to stay inside for the next week then on monday I was sent out with half a round. I know I'm stupid for going but I was taken into an office with 2 managers and I felt under pressure. This has screwed me up totally. I sat in the carpark on Wednesday morning and cried. I actually thought about the unthinkable just to get out of the cycle.

I should say that for the last 12months my line manager seems to have enjoyed moving me around jobs daily and this is the icing on that cake. I have a duty I haven't actually done yet.

Sorry for the long post. I don't know how to move forward. I'm currently off and staring down a stage warning.
:arrrghhh
Is it me?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Is it me?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

No its them contact an area rep and get their advice.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Is it me?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

and read up on Mr S Williamson v Royal Mail Group Limited.

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 18&t=50879" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
liamlayor wrote:The extracts from this judgement reproduced below speak volumes about the calibre of the two managers named - are they still in post or have they been promoted yet?
Also, why was the claimant's evidence undisputed or unchallenged by the respondent's witnesses - or should that be witness as there appears to have been only one witness for the respondents?

"We accepted the undisputed evidence of the claimant that he submitted a grievance in relation to the respondent’s failure to make reasonable adjustments and on the grounds that the rehabilitation plan he was offered would reintroduce him to his full duties too quickly. The Tribunal accepted the undisputed evidence of the claimant that he did not receive any response to that grievance or to his subsequent letter under stage 2 of the grievance procedure. We also accepted the undisputed evidence that neither of the sets of notes of the meeting with Mr Merchant which were provided by the respondent accurately recorded the contents of that meeting.

The Tribunal accepted the undisputed evidence of the claimant that he had requested a staged reintroduction to his full duties, but Mr. Merchant refused his request and told him to “take it or leave it”.

The Tribunal finds on the basis of the unchallenged evidence of the claimant and of Mr. Price , that in October 2012 Mr Clark told the claimant “we’re sick and tired of molly-coddling you”. In November 2010 Mr Clark issued the claimant with a stage one warning for his absence, informing him that “there was no mitigation put forward that would lead me not to issue a stage warning at this point…the attendance procedure is about not believing if an absence is genuine, it is that he has failed to attend work on a regular basis”."

It absolutely beggars belief that these people are managers but congratulations to Mr Williamson for standing up to them alone - which reminds me, where were the union in this?
You may want to think about a grievance over the way its been handled as it sounds similar to the case above.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
ikybear
Posts: 43
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 13:17
Gender: Male

Re: Is it me?

Post by ikybear »

Thanks. It's starting to drive me a bit mad!
iHateD2Ds
Posts: 548
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33

Re: Is it me?

Post by iHateD2Ds »

It's just a game that you will be pressured to play.
OH assist will contact you or you may be referred to have physio. The physio will make out thier report and a decision will be made by Royal Mail wether to get rid of you.
It's has simple as that!

If you are off long term ( more than two weeks I think) they will bully you into going into see them once a week to or they threaten to stop your pay.

But do not threat, remember it's a game and just go along with it.
The stage warnings mean nothing if you have a genuine health reason of absense.