Hi please could someone give some advice
I just got next years holiday form back and had to ring my manager since I hadn't really got any of what I asked for. this was because I've changed offices and am now last in line. ok I said. managed to put a week down which was completely blank anyway so how they missed that I don't know.
The problem is I thought that 28 days was what everyone got off as a minimum. apparently because I work 4 days most of the time on a 20 hour contract I get 24 days off, so the 4 weeks that I put down not including sundays. how is it supposed to work 'pro rata' for holidays?
my manager told me I might owe royal mail holiday hours for last year because I had 28 days off even though I was told last year I got 28 days off ( I was working 5 days then on a 20 hour contract) working my arse off on the shittest round at an office which wasn't my contracted one.
I probably haven't explained this very well I just find it difficult to understand. why doesn't it just say in each individual contract how much holiday you get. how do you work It out pro rata?
from what he said it sounded to me like you could work an hour a day for 5 days and get more holiday than someone working full time over 4 days
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Annual leave again...
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Annual leave again...
If you were contracted to work 5 days a week you will owe nothing from last year.
If you were contracted to work 4 days a week then they should only use 4 days each week you are off. Because you contracted working week is 4 days then 4 weeks leave is 20 days. 24 days is 5 weeks so if that's your entitlement it sounds about right.
At worst you owe 4 days. But with any BH owing etc that could be cut down further.
If you were contracted to work 4 days a week then they should only use 4 days each week you are off. Because you contracted working week is 4 days then 4 weeks leave is 20 days. 24 days is 5 weeks so if that's your entitlement it sounds about right.
At worst you owe 4 days. But with any BH owing etc that could be cut down further.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
spen
- Posts: 531
- Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual leave again...
A new starter working 5 days gets 22.5 days holiday,,, so if you were only working 4 days you would get about 18 which still equates to the same four n a half weeks hols, plus bank hols
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Annual leave again...
You leave is all based on hours, you get x amount of hours a year and they can be split up per normal work week.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
-
indurain
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 00:21
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual leave again...
Ok cheers I was contracted to work 5 days so I won't be giving them any hours back
The thing I still am on a 5 day contract, as far as I know. I was made permanent a few weeks ago and changed offices closer to home which is what i wanted through a letter from my manager.I then got a new fixed term contract in the post, when i asked about it i was told it was a mistake and not to send it back. but apparently royal mail don't create new contracts when you're made permanent which i think is very strange.
so as far as i know i'm still officially on a 5 day contract since i haven't signed anything else even though i'm working 4 days at the moment which is what i want to do. I've told royal mail i don't mind working 5 days when they need me to but if i have holidays based on 4 days and the tone in particular that i'm often spoken to i will probably refuse next time i'm asked.
The thing I still am on a 5 day contract, as far as I know. I was made permanent a few weeks ago and changed offices closer to home which is what i wanted through a letter from my manager.I then got a new fixed term contract in the post, when i asked about it i was told it was a mistake and not to send it back. but apparently royal mail don't create new contracts when you're made permanent which i think is very strange.
so as far as i know i'm still officially on a 5 day contract since i haven't signed anything else even though i'm working 4 days at the moment which is what i want to do. I've told royal mail i don't mind working 5 days when they need me to but if i have holidays based on 4 days and the tone in particular that i'm often spoken to i will probably refuse next time i'm asked.
-
rogersh
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 1374
- Joined: 26 Oct 2011, 11:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Annual leave again...
5.6 weeks (28 days) is the statutory minimum holiday which can include Bank Holidays.A royal mail employee with less than 5 years service gets Four & half weeks Annual leave = 22.5 days.(pro- rata for part timers) Plus 8 Bank Holidays (5 DAY WEEK) which gives a total of 30.5 days.indurain wrote:Ok cheers I was contracted to work 5 days so I won't be giving them any hours back
The thing I still am on a 5 day contract, as far as I know. I was made permanent a few weeks ago and changed offices closer to home which is what i wanted through a letter from my manager.I then got a new fixed term contract in the post, when i asked about it i was told it was a mistake and not to send it back. but apparently royal mail don't create new contracts when you're made permanent which i think is very strange.
so as far as i know i'm still officially on a 5 day contract since i haven't signed anything else even though i'm working 4 days at the moment which is what i want to do. I've told royal mail i don't mind working 5 days when they need me to but if i have holidays based on 4 days and the tone in particular that i'm often spoken to i will probably refuse next time i'm asked.
Bank holiday for a 4 day week SHOULD work out 4/5ths of 8 = 6.4 days - rounded up to 7 B/H days.
NDIRECT
"If you're a part-time worker, you're still entitled to 5.6 x the number of days in your normal working week.
For example, if you work two days a week you would be entitled to 11.2 days' leave a year:
•2 days x 5.6 weeks = 11.2 days
You should be treated no less favourably if you are a part-time worker than an equivalent full-timer. This means that if your employer gives extra days off to full-timers they may have to give extra time off to part-time workers as well."