ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
-
2pints
- Posts: 286
- Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
- Gender: Male
Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
If i wore a poppy at work would i be asked to remove it? Anyone else going to try?
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
You are allowed to wear one - one of the very few non RM symbols that is acceptable.
Last edited by rhino49 on 03 Nov 2015, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
terry2972
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
Why woulda anybody stopy you?
-
baldrick
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 5038
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
There were poppies on sale at the doorkeepers desk at the main entrance and at the payment till in the staff restaurant during November at my former mc.
We also have a minute's silence on Remembrance Sunday at 11am, and a remembrance service in the staff hall.
We also have a minute's silence on Remembrance Sunday at 11am, and a remembrance service in the staff hall.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
Why on earth would anyone ask you to remove your poppy?2pints wrote:If i wore a poppy at work would i be asked to remove it? Anyone else going to try?
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
Poppies are sold in my office and everybody wears them, woe betide anyone who dares to tell me to take mine off, they will feel the full force of my anger and derision.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
madmax1
- Posts: 72
- Joined: 01 Sep 2015, 14:39
- Gender: Male
Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
.
Last edited by madmax1 on 21 Dec 2016, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
Creditshampoo wrote:No Muslims in m office to claim islamaphobia so we all good
why make a silly comment like that? firstly wearing a poppy have absolutely nothing to do with islamaphobia, secondly there were plenty of muslims fighting on the allies side during the world wars, also religion a be a very private matter for people so how could you possibly know there is no one who follows the muslim faith in your office?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
Would all muslims claim islamophobia ? I doubt it.
Yes there are muslims who disagree with the poppy, just as there are christian groups and other peace campaigners who object to it. I was called a murderer and war criminal just because I was wearing uniform and a poppy, by a white 20 something girl wearing a cross and white poppy.
As someone who has served in Bosnia, Falklands and Northern ireland I say good on them, Part of allowing free speech is allowing the right of people who disagree with you to have a different opinion.
Just to clarify there are muslim groups who are selling poppies.
100 volunteers from the AMYA are to sell poppies at London underground and rail stations on Monday

The Ahmadiyya Muslim Youth Association appeal

The poppy campaign is being launched at Fazl mosque, which was used as a bomb shelter during World War II
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10 ... 38318.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
British Muslim student Tabinda-Kauser Ishaq (24) has created a new headscarf decorated with poppies for Remembrance Day (2014). She tells Radhika Sanghani why and about the 400,000 Muslim soldiers who fought alongside UK troops http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens ... r-One.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and this kind of sums up my view on the whole subject better than I can.

Yes there are muslims who disagree with the poppy, just as there are christian groups and other peace campaigners who object to it. I was called a murderer and war criminal just because I was wearing uniform and a poppy, by a white 20 something girl wearing a cross and white poppy.
As someone who has served in Bosnia, Falklands and Northern ireland I say good on them, Part of allowing free speech is allowing the right of people who disagree with you to have a different opinion.
Just to clarify there are muslim groups who are selling poppies.
100 volunteers from the AMYA are to sell poppies at London underground and rail stations on Monday
The Ahmadiyya Muslim Youth Association appeal
The poppy campaign is being launched at Fazl mosque, which was used as a bomb shelter during World War II
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10 ... 38318.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
British Muslim student Tabinda-Kauser Ishaq (24) has created a new headscarf decorated with poppies for Remembrance Day (2014). She tells Radhika Sanghani why and about the 400,000 Muslim soldiers who fought alongside UK troops http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens ... r-One.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;and this kind of sums up my view on the whole subject better than I can.

All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
Sadly every year a few extremists on the tv burn poppies and it seems to tarnish every Muslim with the same brush!
I think you'll find that the vast majority of Muslims are appalled at the way these extremists behave and are very supportive of wearing a poppy!
I think you'll find that the vast majority of Muslims are appalled at the way these extremists behave and are very supportive of wearing a poppy!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
thehappyones
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 306
- Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 11:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
Never had a problem.....in fact I'd probably be gobsmacked IF someone did say anything!
I used to have a big poppy on the front of the van, which never caused a problem. Apart from when someone noticed it and said," Is time for the poppies again"?......... "No it's a bit early it's just that I haven't taken it off since last Remembrance Day"! 
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
I will always wear a red poppy and I will not remove it.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
Ulysses
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 03 Aug 2015, 21:09
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hampshire
Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
Been wearing mine, no problem...
...until it got torn off by a bag over my shoulder
Still easy to get another one
...until it got torn off by a bag over my shoulder
Still easy to get another one
Life is what you make it.......I make mine my own.
-
pauljacks
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 18:48
- Gender: Male
Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
TrueBlueTerrier wrote: I was called a murderer and war criminal just because I was wearing uniform and a poppy, by a white 20 something girl wearing a cross and white poppy.
My grandad was in WW2. I have his medals and if anyone, no matter who it is, tries to sell me a white poppy I'll tell them where to shove it !