ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

If making plans to leave RM

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

If making plans to leave RM

Post by jimmynailsalive »

Can I ask for views on the following?

I've decided the job is no longer what I enjoy as everyday has turned into a slog and that's after bartering to leave lapsing and I've started following the cut-off procedure but too many 5+ hour days out in the street. I don't feel I need to hide my views to lino/DOM that I will give 100% in the meantime but should I expect to be treated any differently once they know I am job hunting?

A search on the question gives
This is because many employers, once they know you’re looking, will begin treating you differently — for instance, giving you fewer plum assignments or no long-term assignments, curtailing any investments in your training or development, seeing you as disloyal or a short-timer, and in some cases, even letting you go. And after all, you may not get this job, and then you could be stuck in an awkward situation for quite some time.
I feel as a reserve I get nothing anyway, last pick of holidays, Tuesday's off and thrown on to unfamiliar walks and offices and last out the door on a regular occurrence so the points raised above ain't going to affect me and I would rather just tell them the job isn't for me long term as I feel the physical impact outweighs any positives in the job. Personally if I am confident in my performance, I would prefer to say my part-time hours are enough although I'll work extra indoors if required but feel regular longer walks are not conducive to my long term health. Anyone any experience of someone advising management they are job hunting in their office?
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Re: If making plans to leave RM

Post by Sir Henry »

Why bother telling them? Get your new job, walk out the door flicking them the v's as you go. Sorted.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: If making plans to leave RM

Post by Dorset Plodder »

No need to feel guilty about anything. Agree with the last post just sort your job outand go, although I'd give the correct notice just so they can sort out your final pay slip.I suppose we only have to give a weeks notice?

If you're part time just make sure you only work your reduced number of hours. You say you're aware of the Lapsing requirements and the Over Running Procedure. You should have a fairly realxing last few weeks, just like your job should be if managed correctly! Good Luck in your Job Hunting. :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: If making plans to leave RM

Post by jimmynailsalive »

Dorset Plodder wrote:No need to feel guilty about anything. Agree with the last post just sort your job outand go, although I'd give the correct notice just so they can sort out your final pay slip.I suppose we only have to give a weeks notice?

If you're part time just make sure you only work your reduced number of hours. You say you're aware of the Lapsing requirements and the Over Running Procedure. You should have a fairly realxing last few weeks, just like your job should be if managed correctly! Good Luck in your Job Hunting. :thumbup
Start date is January so while to go and I've been reviewing my contract which has a section

"The nature of the service makes a measure of overtime working necessary. For this reason, it is a condition of your employment that you are liable to work overtime ..........."

Will speak to my rep on the above tomorrow unless anyone can put me right ?
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: If making plans to leave RM

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

jimmynailsalive wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:No need to feel guilty about anything. Agree with the last post just sort your job outand go, although I'd give the correct notice just so they can sort out your final pay slip.I suppose we only have to give a weeks notice?

If you're part time just make sure you only work your reduced number of hours. You say you're aware of the Lapsing requirements and the Over Running Procedure. You should have a fairly realxing last few weeks, just like your job should be if managed correctly! Good Luck in your Job Hunting. :thumbup
Start date is January so while to go and I've been reviewing my contract which has a section

"The nature of the service makes a measure of overtime working necessary. For this reason, it is a condition of your employment that you are liable to work overtime ..........."

Will speak to my rep on the above tomorrow unless anyone can put me right ?
Overtime is not legally compulsory you cannot be disciplined or sacked for refusing to work more than your contracted hours regardless of what it says there
goldy
Posts: 220
Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 13:58
Gender: Male

Re: If making plans to leave RM

Post by goldy »

Dont tell them you are looking for another job although it might be an idea to drop a hint here and there you might
get treated a little better possibly RM are desperate for staff at the moment they have let far too many go .