ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
weight of bags we carry
-
pulling13
- Posts: 31
- Joined: 21 May 2014, 17:41
- Gender: Male
weight of bags we carry
Does anybody weigh their bags anymore and if so can you refuse to take some out?
I know our rounds are timed so if we get out five minutes late we get back five minutes late and from carrying heavy bags my back really hurts.
On our sign in sheet we have a weight limit but nobody weighs their bags knowing they are overweight.
Just after some info on this :-)
I know our rounds are timed so if we get out five minutes late we get back five minutes late and from carrying heavy bags my back really hurts.
On our sign in sheet we have a weight limit but nobody weighs their bags knowing they are overweight.
Just after some info on this :-)
-
shepherdess
- Posts: 445
- Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 16:16
- Gender: Female
Re: weight of bags we carry
Why aren't you using a light weight trolley
-
noggin1969
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
- Gender: Male
Re: weight of bags we carry
You shouldn't be carrying bags anymore 
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: weight of bags we carry
It may not be a LWT loop or duty. 1 loop on mine when we go to DM will be a lightweight pouch because of the terrain.shepherdess wrote:Why aren't you using a light weight trolley
Only if the loop is a LWT loop.noggin1969 wrote:You shouldn't be carrying bags anymore
IIRC the max weight for a pouch is now 8kg on a paired delivery so you can't carry any heavier as its breaking the H&S guidance. If you have one that is, and is a pouch loop then break it down and if necessary go back to the van part way through the loop.
However, if its NOT a pouch Loop you are breaking H&S guidance by carrying pouches, their weight limit is 16kg each side IIRC.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
pulling13
- Posts: 31
- Joined: 21 May 2014, 17:41
- Gender: Male
Re: weight of bags we carry
We take a hct out do three bags from that, then work from a drop box,
If we split the bags I'll have to stop half way through a loop to return to the drop box putting me behind as our rounds are timed to a dead on 4:1/2 delivery
If we split the bags I'll have to stop half way through a loop to return to the drop box putting me behind as our rounds are timed to a dead on 4:1/2 delivery
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: weight of bags we carry
pulling13 wrote:We take a hct out do three bags from that, then work from a drop box,
If we split the bags I'll have to stop half way through a loop to return to the drop box putting me behind as our rounds are timed to a dead on 4:1/2 delivery
HCTs are not meant to left unattended for more than 10 minutes even if tied up so somethings not quite right if that the official delivery method for those loops. HCTs are designed to be walked round a delivery, not left.
If you have to split the bags for your own H&S then do so, if it takes longer they have to to take account of that by redesigning the duty, or using alternative delivery methods, or by resourcing it with overtime or extra help if you are unable to work beyond your time.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: weight of bags we carry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
pulling13
- Posts: 31
- Joined: 21 May 2014, 17:41
- Gender: Male
Re: weight of bags we carry
I didn't know that you should take the trolley with you, all our town rounds leave it unattended for hour and a half to two hours whilst we work from drop boxes as its quicker than taking the hct round so the rounds must be too big, the instructions that are on the frame is how I do it too,
I'm being put into a round as of next week so shouldn't be using the hct again, but my shoulder is knackered and so is my back from the heavy bags
I'm being put into a round as of next week so shouldn't be using the hct again, but my shoulder is knackered and so is my back from the heavy bags
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Re: weight of bags we carry
You don't carry bags anymore , you pull a l/w trolleypulling13 wrote:Does anybody weigh their bags anymore and if so can you refuse to take some out?
I know our rounds are timed so if we get out five minutes late we get back five minutes late and from carrying heavy bags my back really hurts.
On our sign in sheet we have a weight limit but nobody weighs their bags knowing they are overweight.
Just after some info on this :-)
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: weight of bags we carry
pulling13 wrote:I didn't know that you should take the trolley with you, all our town rounds leave it unattended for hour and a half to two hours whilst we work from drop boxes as its quicker than taking the hct round so the rounds must be too big, the instructions that are on the frame is how I do it too,
I'm being put into a round as of next week so shouldn't be using the hct again, but my shoulder is knackered and so is my back from the heavy bags
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=54360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: weight of bags we carry
Carrying bags?
-
shepherdess
- Posts: 445
- Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 16:16
- Gender: Female
Re: weight of bags we carry
I understand the 10 minutes for a hct but is that correct 10 minutes for a van share. I leave my van for nearly 45 minutes while pushing a lwt .if this is the case I've never heard of it and it wasn't taken into account in the planning when the planner planned 30 to 50 minute loops.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: weight of bags we carry
shepherdess wrote:I understand the 10 minutes for a hct but is that correct 10 minutes for a van share. I leave my van for nearly 45 minutes while pushing a lwt .if this is the case I've never heard of it and it wasn't taken into account in the planning when the planner planned 30 to 50 minute loops.
No the Vans bit is for when or if you leave a small pouch on the front seat.
From the other document that Fishtank linked
Secure the MB44 pouch to the front passenger seat and ensure the pouch flap remains closed at all times when the vehicle is moving Only leave an MB44 pouch containing mail in the cab of an unattended vehicle for NO longer than 10 minutes. Every effort should be made to make this occurrence an exception and not the norm
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
shepherdess
- Posts: 445
- Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 16:16
- Gender: Female
Re: weight of bags we carry
Ok many thanks
-
ThatsNotPlumb
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
- Gender: Male
Re: weight of bags we carry
You do if it isn't an LWT loop.eastie wrote:You don't carry bags anymore , you pull a l/w trolleypulling13 wrote:Does anybody weigh their bags anymore and if so can you refuse to take some out?
I know our rounds are timed so if we get out five minutes late we get back five minutes late and from carrying heavy bags my back really hurts.
On our sign in sheet we have a weight limit but nobody weighs their bags knowing they are overweight.
Just after some info on this :-)
Nor do you use a LWT if it's completely impractical to use it, if the terrain is bad, tell your manager you want the loop changed to reflect that it's more difficult to use a trolley than it would to carry a lightweight pouch. You're also allowed to use common sense believe it or not, if you only need a trolley to carry 1 bundle & maybe 2 Amazon DVD sized packets, then it's alright to use a lightweight pouch.