ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What's the point

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
weary_posty
Posts: 225
Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
Gender: Male

What's the point

Post by weary_posty »

What's the point of having a cutting off procedure?!

Let a line manager know I was going to need help to complete on time as I was working on a van share with an agency worker. Line manager told me to concentrate on tracked/specials and to bring back what we can't deliver. We only manage to do 2/3s of the job but managed to clear all the tracked and specials. Because the agency worker can't use a PDA it's down to me to clear a whole York full of tracked packets and oversizeds.

Get back to the office with the remaining bags to be confronted by the line manager and DOM asking why I've brought mail back. Explained I was following the line managers instruction who then said he didn't expect me to bring so much back?!
I was already 30mins over time but was accused of being lazy.
I'm usually ok giving an extra 10% if it means getting a job complete or going over a little to save the stress and hassle. I rarely claim overtime so to be made out to be lazy has really frustrated me. They don't seem to realise you can't just hire a bunch of agency staff on the build up our busiest period and expect them to be up to speed!

The thing that topped it for me was to find out RM are paying agencies £19/hr for these guys.
osgoody1970
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 360
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 13:44
Gender: Male

Re: What's the point

Post by osgoody1970 »

well, if they did that to me, it would stop right there, do the job properly, take your breaks and finish on your time!!! and it is all their own fault..... by the way£19 ph really????
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: What's the point

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

£19 per hour to the agencies is about market rate - of which the casuals get minimum wage. :evil/mad :evil/mad
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
weary_posty
Posts: 225
Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
Gender: Male

Re: What's the point

Post by weary_posty »

But why employ agency staff for a few months at £19/hr instead of just giving them a 3month contract?

They're quick enough to moan when a job fails and costs the company money, yet are happy to do this?!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: What's the point

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Loads of reasons - most of them to do with money.

As RM don't pay the agency direct then all the hidden costs such as sick pay, holiday pay, overtime are saved. Also as a Casual if they turn up and they aren't needed they can be sent home without pay, notice period is a lot less and the statutory implications (apart from H&S and training) are dealt with by the agency. For long term stability you need permanent staff, but if you want cheap disposable labour then casuals is the way to go despite the fact that the initial cost is around twice what they pay staff.

If you are a faceless multinational where the bottom line is the be all and end all, casuals is a no brainer for some circumstances.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
dave0876
Posts: 154
Joined: 19 Apr 2008, 12:09

Re: What's the point

Post by dave0876 »

Why are you going over and not booking docket a very foolish way to go as you will only end up with the managers taking the pissed out of you.
weary_posty
Posts: 225
Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
Gender: Male

Re: What's the point

Post by weary_posty »

dave0876 wrote:Why are you going over and not booking docket a very foolish way to go as you will only end up with the managers taking the pissed out of you.
It's anything up 20 mins if it means I complete the job. There are days in the week where you will finish early on a light day. I like to be fair, if I'm allowed to leave earlier due to not enough work to fill my day, it's only fair I give a little back (within reason)
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Re: What's the point

Post by Creditshampoo »

weary_posty wrote:
dave0876 wrote:Why are you going over and not booking docket a very foolish way to go as you will only end up with the managers taking the pissed out of you.
It's anything up 20 mins if it means I complete the job. There are days in the week where you will finish early on a light day. I like to be fair, if I'm allowed to leave earlier due to not enough work to fill my day, it's only fair I give a little back (within reason)
Why are you giving the business free hours? Book it.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: What's the point

Post by eastie »

Was moaned at by DOM for not informing him earlier about cutting off even though I told him I was cutting off at 9.00am
rusty nails
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 52
Joined: 02 Dec 2014, 16:30
Gender: Male

Re: What's the point

Post by rusty nails »

eastie wrote:Was moaned at by DOM for not informing him earlier about cutting off even though I told him I was cutting off at 9.00am
Why not ring him while your eating your breakfast or while having your morning dump before work? Or maybe ring him before you go to bed?
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Re: What's the point

Post by steve1873 »

rusty nails wrote:
eastie wrote:Was moaned at by DOM for not informing him earlier about cutting off even though I told him I was cutting off at 9.00am
Why not ring him while your eating your breakfast or while having your morning dump before work? Or maybe ring him before you go to bed?
What kind of response is that?

It is the procedure to inform management at earliest opportunity that you may have difficulty completing the workload in the allocated time. All offices have different departure times. If, say the poster whom you replied to works in an office where they are expected to be out door for say 09:30 and by 9am it is quite clear that is not going to be met, then that is the opportunity to approach a manager and have the discussion.
Anonymouse
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
Gender: Male

Re: What's the point

Post by Anonymouse »

£19 and hour! :shock:

If we say we're cutting off we never take it out just to bring it back again. It's usually dealt with before the majority are out the door.
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: What's the point

Post by BingBong »

weary_posty wrote:
dave0876 wrote:Why are you going over and not booking docket a very foolish way to go as you will only end up with the managers taking the pissed out of you.
It's anything up 20 mins if it means I complete the job. There are days in the week where you will finish early on a light day. I like to be fair, if I'm allowed to leave earlier due to not enough work to fill my day, it's only fair I give a little back (within reason)
leave earlier and not enough work in that sentence. tells its own story. do it one day easily and they'll expect it everyday. people wont learn.
Toon Army!
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: What's the point

Post by meercat »

weary_posty wrote: I was already 30mins over time but was accused of being lazy.

Write this down in a diary and initial it.
If it happens again warn the manager they are harassing you and using antagonistic language and tell them it is not acceptable that you should be bullied. Write down the details of the exchange in a diary and initial the page.
If it happens a third time get a bullying and harassment form and fill it in. Your diary entries will be used as evidence in your cases investigation.
Broxi51
Posts: 1154
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 19:04
Location: Scotland

Re: What's the point

Post by Broxi51 »

steve1873 wrote:
rusty nails wrote:
eastie wrote:Was moaned at by DOM for not informing him earlier about cutting off even though I told him I was cutting off at 9.00am
Why not ring him while your eating your breakfast or while having your morning dump before work? Or maybe ring him before you go to bed?
What kind of response is that?

It is the procedure to inform management at earliest opportunity that you may have difficulty completing the workload in the allocated time. All offices have different departure times. If, say the poster whom you replied to works in an office where they are expected to be out door for say 09:30 and by 9am it is quite clear that is not going to be met, then that is the opportunity to approach a manager and have the discussion.
The correct procedure is to inform management at the earliest opportunity ONCE you have thrown all mail and D2D's in to the frame. However, you will still be asked why you didn't inform earlier. Can I just advise anybody that it is recommended taking a witness in when informing them.
The time has come to stop turning the other cheek, time to stop shaking our heads in bitter dismay, time to stop mumbling our angry words.
The time has come for union.