ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Petty complaints
-
buzzboy
- Posts: 27
- Joined: 13 Nov 2012, 10:44
- Gender: Male
Petty complaints
The residents on my walk are starting to complain about door knocking / bell ringing technique :)
A while back they complained that I was only knocking the usual 3 raps before 739 , "you should at least wait a few seconds and then give it another go before sticking that red card through "
Then theres the sleeping baby situation : I ring the bell the baby wakes up and mother has a right go , " could you not ring that bell so loudly please " ?!
Today I had a package for a young chap and all I did was flap his letter box 3 times and he leans out the window and shouted " No need to break my door down " .
TBH I find if they are annoyed at least they come to the door quicker not that it really takes much to annoy folks these days .
A while back they complained that I was only knocking the usual 3 raps before 739 , "you should at least wait a few seconds and then give it another go before sticking that red card through "
Then theres the sleeping baby situation : I ring the bell the baby wakes up and mother has a right go , " could you not ring that bell so loudly please " ?!
Today I had a package for a young chap and all I did was flap his letter box 3 times and he leans out the window and shouted " No need to break my door down " .
TBH I find if they are annoyed at least they come to the door quicker not that it really takes much to annoy folks these days .
-
chillout1571
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 82
- Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 18:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Petty complaints
Haha, so true. The complaints are pathetic. I always ring and knock. Then if they don't hear that, I couldn't have done anymore to attract their attention. People will always find something to moan about.buzzboy wrote:The residents on my walk are starting to complain about door knocking / bell ringing technique :)
A while back they complained that I was only knocking the usual 3 raps before 739 , "you should at least wait a few seconds and then give it another go before sticking that red card through "
Then theres the sleeping baby situation : I ring the bell the baby wakes up and mother has a right go , " could you not ring that bell so loudly please " ?!
Today I had a package for a young chap and all I did was flap his letter box 3 times and he leans out the window and shouted " No need to break my door down " .
TBH I find if they are annoyed at least they come to the door quicker not that it really takes much to annoy folks these days .
-
delfranklin1969
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Petty complaints
We had a bloke complain about one of my colleagues this week, she had blocked his driveway for a couple of minutes to do a small loop, the guy was furious and being quite unreasonable, she apologized humbly but this was not enough and he ended up telling her to p*ss off. So he complains to our office manager and calls for this lady to be at least severely disciplined but he wanted her sacked! He claims he missed a hospital appointment because he was blocked in, how ridiculous is that? as you know we never block anything for very long! More a case of he left too late, got stuck in traffic and is trying to use her as a scapegoat! Anyway because he used abusive language, our manager called the police and this calmed the bloke down!
-
theargyspy
- Posts: 252
- Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 17:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: UK
Re: Petty complaints
Had a bloke come to the door in his PJ's he snatched the packet out of my hands & started ranting that I had rang his door bell too many times (twice) I replied that I had rang the second time because I didn't know he was in!
He said "of course I'm in, my car is in the drive" I laughed and said " My car is in my drive but I'm not in, I'm here talking to you" he wasn't impressed with
that. He said he was a Royal Mail manager ( I didn't know him, but turned out he was) and he was going to report me for being cheeky, he then slammed the door in my face, I couldn't help myself I did a huge raspberry to the shut door, and carried on my delivery. I got my defence in first as soon as I returned to office and reported my side of story to my manager, but as far as I know, because I never heard anything he must have thought better of it because he never did report me
I always knock & ring which does seem to get plenty of peoples backs up, but I always explain politely that most of the time stood on doorstep I can't hear the doorbell ringing,
and if I didn't also knock and the doorbell doesn't work they wouldn't know I was there and I would N/L the item which would also get their backs up
Pulled a very old fashioned mechanical door bell at a house once, and the wire snapped leaving me with the door bell in my hand, the old women came out in a rage telling me that I had broken her doorbell and it was over 100 years old, I tried to make a joke of it by saying "It's about time you got a new one then" but she never saw the funny side..... another petty complaint
He said "of course I'm in, my car is in the drive" I laughed and said " My car is in my drive but I'm not in, I'm here talking to you" he wasn't impressed with
that. He said he was a Royal Mail manager ( I didn't know him, but turned out he was) and he was going to report me for being cheeky, he then slammed the door in my face, I couldn't help myself I did a huge raspberry to the shut door, and carried on my delivery. I got my defence in first as soon as I returned to office and reported my side of story to my manager, but as far as I know, because I never heard anything he must have thought better of it because he never did report me
I always knock & ring which does seem to get plenty of peoples backs up, but I always explain politely that most of the time stood on doorstep I can't hear the doorbell ringing,
and if I didn't also knock and the doorbell doesn't work they wouldn't know I was there and I would N/L the item which would also get their backs up
Pulled a very old fashioned mechanical door bell at a house once, and the wire snapped leaving me with the door bell in my hand, the old women came out in a rage telling me that I had broken her doorbell and it was over 100 years old, I tried to make a joke of it by saying "It's about time you got a new one then" but she never saw the funny side..... another petty complaint
"Never have I known an employee so keen to employ you, then so eager to get rid of you!"
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Petty complaints
It's an offence to block a driveway whilst a car is in the drive, however if there is no car it is not an offence, so wait til he goes out next time, then block his drive and he can't make a fuss.delfranklin1969 wrote:We had a bloke complain about one of my colleagues this week, she had blocked his driveway for a couple of minutes to do a small loop, the guy was furious and being quite unreasonable, she apologized humbly but this was not enough and he ended up telling her to p*ss off. So he complains to our office manager and calls for this lady to be at least severely disciplined but he wanted her sacked! He claims he missed a hospital appointment because he was blocked in, how ridiculous is that? as you know we never block anything for very long! More a case of he left too late, got stuck in traffic and is trying to use her as a scapegoat! Anyway because he used abusive language, our manager called the police and this calmed the bloke down!
-
delfranklin1969
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Petty complaints
I agree and in reality there is plenty of parking to not avoid blocking cars but the bloke was being very rude and quite petty on the issue I feel.
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Petty complaints
Preventing a vehicle from entering the highway... :Ddvbuk55 wrote:It's an offence to block a driveway whilst a car is in the drive, however if there is no car it is not an offence, so wait til he goes out next time, then block his drive and he can't make a fuss.delfranklin1969 wrote:We had a bloke complain about one of my colleagues this week, she had blocked his driveway for a couple of minutes to do a small loop, the guy was furious and being quite unreasonable, she apologized humbly but this was not enough and he ended up telling her to p*ss off. So he complains to our office manager and calls for this lady to be at least severely disciplined but he wanted her sacked! He claims he missed a hospital appointment because he was blocked in, how ridiculous is that? as you know we never block anything for very long! More a case of he left too late, got stuck in traffic and is trying to use her as a scapegoat! Anyway because he used abusive language, our manager called the police and this calmed the bloke down!
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Petty complaints
dvbuk55 wrote:It's an offence to block a driveway whilst a car is in the drive, however if there is no car it is not an offence, so wait til he goes out next time, then block his drive and he can't make a fuss.delfranklin1969 wrote:We had a bloke complain about one of my colleagues this week, she had blocked his driveway for a couple of minutes to do a small loop, the guy was furious and being quite unreasonable, she apologized humbly but this was not enough and he ended up telling her to p*ss off. So he complains to our office manager and calls for this lady to be at least severely disciplined but he wanted her sacked! He claims he missed a hospital appointment because he was blocked in, how ridiculous is that? as you know we never block anything for very long! More a case of he left too late, got stuck in traffic and is trying to use her as a scapegoat! Anyway because he used abusive language, our manager called the police and this calmed the bloke down!
If the driveway has a dropped kerb its a parking offence to park on it whether there is a car in it or not.
http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/dropped- ... rking.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dropped kerb parking law
There are effectively two types of dropped kerbs; the type outside of private or business residence to allow access to the property, and those found at or close to pedestrian crossings. Parking a vehicle across either type of dropped kerb is classed as an obstruction and either the police or local councils can enforce the contravention. Based on the resources a particular authority has in dealing with the contravention, particular attention will typically be allocated to offences that impede the passage of those with disabilities.
Parking adjacent to a dropped kerb becomes a contravention where a vehicle is parked on the carriageway alongside a place where the footpath, cycle lane or verge has been lowered to the level of the carriageway to enable easier passage to:
Pedestrians crossing the carriageway
Cyclists leaving or entering the carriageway
Vehicles that enter or exit a property across a footpath
The Highway Code rule 243 advises drivers that ‘Except when forced to do so by stationary traffic, DO NOT stop or park:
where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles, or where it would obstruct cyclists
in front of an entrance to a property’
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
trevjim
- Posts: 170
- Joined: 05 Dec 2012, 20:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Petty complaints
The ones that complain the most are the ones without jobs, ie unemployed, stay at home mums, bored housewives etc
-
Anonymouse
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Petty complaints
Got a guy fuming at the door once when i'd woke him up when he was nighshift. He even threatened to phone my manager.
I took a pick of the door after he slammed it in my face to prove there was no "do not disturb" type note on the door if i got pulled up about it.
I took a pick of the door after he slammed it in my face to prove there was no "do not disturb" type note on the door if i got pulled up about it.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Petty complaints
Anybody get moaned at before for knocking the door instead of ringing the bell?
It's like you heard it, so what's the problem? Then they ring the bell in front of you in some patronising manner ....
It's like you heard it, so what's the problem? Then they ring the bell in front of you in some patronising manner ....
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Petty complaints
yes ive had thatnorm wrote:Anybody get moaned at before for knocking the door instead of ringing the bell?![]()
It's like you heard it, so what's the problem? Then they ring the bell in front of you in some patronising manner ....
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2055
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Petty complaints
Did some one say bored housewivestrevjim wrote:The ones that complain the most are the ones without jobs, ie unemployed, stay at home mums, bored housewives etc
-
Tank
- Posts: 206
- Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 12:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Petty complaints
I tried a parcel at a neighbor and all I got was "I'm in the middle of a treatment with a client!!" Sorry for not switching my fookin mind reading capability on!!!
-
ThatsNotPlumb
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
- Gender: Male
Re: Petty complaints
I knock the door like a policeman, side of a closed fist with 3 bangs. Not had any complaints..
That I know off...
That I know off...