I've just been pulled on a Tracked No Sig parcel I delivered last week. Customer has complained they havent received it. I was honest and said I couldn't remember delivering it, but if I've clicked delivered that's what I've done.
It occured to me later in the day that there is a very similarly named street right next to it, and that I may have mistakenly delivered it to them. Informed my manager this may have been the case, so they checked GPS and said that I had in fact scanned and delivered it at the similarly named street. They haven't said what's going to happen yet.
I agree that it is my error, just annoyed that it was from a pouch prepped by someone else, who had incorrectly marked there was a parcel for the incorrect address, and should not have been in that pouch at all. I also when customers answer the door always say "Parcel for...." and the name to make sure, so they must have just taken it anyway. Usually double check the address too, but had a lot of personal stuff going on that day and so was a bit less attentive than normal.
I'm a worrier with this sort of thing, so just wanted some honest advice on what sort of disciplinary action might occur. I've never been in any trouble before, never had a day off and do a lot of overtime etc, so hoping they might be a bit more lenient, but any advice would be welcome.
Cheers
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Delivered tracked incorrectly
-
enskied
- Posts: 1877
- Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivered tracked incorrectly
I deliver to some rough areas full of "colourful" characters and you would think misdeliveries like that would just disappear. One of the things I like about being a postie is that for the most part I find that the vast majority of people are very honest. Don't know what day you delivered it last week but there is still time for it to turn up. Personally I would knock and ask, a casual enquiry nothing confrontational, you know where it was delivered, at worst you know that you can not trust the people at that address.
Office wise I would not worry too much, it is now out of your hands. It is a shame though that you think always doing overtime will stand you in good stead. That should make no difference at all.
Good Luck to you though.
Office wise I would not worry too much, it is now out of your hands. It is a shame though that you think always doing overtime will stand you in good stead. That should make no difference at all.
Good Luck to you though.
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Re: Delivered tracked incorrectly
We all make mistakes.
Coaching and counselling might be in order.
Making a legitimate one off mistake should not be a conduct issue.
Coaching and counselling might be in order.
Making a legitimate one off mistake should not be a conduct issue.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivered tracked incorrectly
it's a mistake, no more no less.
I had a similar one last week. My partner for the week took (without telling me!) a road out of my loop. So on autopilot I took the third left into an up-and-down road as usual, not noticing I had got the mail for the FOURTH left's street which has the same amount of houses with similar numbers. After getting to no. 17 from 21 on the odds side I realized. Luckily it was a Tuesday so only had about 4 houses mis-delivered before I noticed. Told the lino I'd been stitched up but I didn't notice early enough and he just said 'don't worry, we'll get 'em back'......
I didn't think you could be conducted for 1 single excusable mistake, especially as in mitigation you were partly stitched up too.
I had a similar one last week. My partner for the week took (without telling me!) a road out of my loop. So on autopilot I took the third left into an up-and-down road as usual, not noticing I had got the mail for the FOURTH left's street which has the same amount of houses with similar numbers. After getting to no. 17 from 21 on the odds side I realized. Luckily it was a Tuesday so only had about 4 houses mis-delivered before I noticed. Told the lino I'd been stitched up but I didn't notice early enough and he just said 'don't worry, we'll get 'em back'......
I didn't think you could be conducted for 1 single excusable mistake, especially as in mitigation you were partly stitched up too.
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: Delivered tracked incorrectly
Small mistake easily made and made by many. Slap on the wrist at worst so I wouldn't worry! 
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
JimmyGandalf
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 03:44
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivered tracked incorrectly
Thanks all (well, most) eased my mind a bit. Have a tendency to worry, and there's not many unskilled jobs out there with similar pay!
And I know overtime shouldn't, and wouldn't, help, was just pointing out I work hard, help out where I can, am honest and havent been in trouble before. You'd think these would be mitigating factors in such a case.
Thanks for the advice/support though!
And I know overtime shouldn't, and wouldn't, help, was just pointing out I work hard, help out where I can, am honest and havent been in trouble before. You'd think these would be mitigating factors in such a case.
Thanks for the advice/support though!
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivered tracked incorrectly
Do you think your partner did it deliberately to stitch you up?bustedflush wrote: Told the lino I'd been stitched up
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivered tracked incorrectly
No but was at fault for not informing me, that was the substance of my excuse for the error. 'Stitch up' being a common term around my DO for getting earache due to, or partly due to the actions of others.Bahia Feliz wrote:Do you think your partner did it deliberately to stitch you up?bustedflush wrote: Told the lino I'd been stitched up
-
delfranklin1969
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivered tracked incorrectly
I wouldn't worry about it, prob a slap on the wrist, mistakes happen, the majority (not all!) of customers are understanding. Most of us have done it or something similar, myself included!
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivered tracked incorrectly
Technically you delivered it to a neighbour. Get a 739 filled out telling them where to collect.

-
meercat
- Posts: 814
- Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivered tracked incorrectly
norm wrote:Technically you delivered it to a neighbour. Get a 739 filled out telling them where to collect.![]()
Post of the day!!!
btw way Jimmy I would DEFINATELY knock on the door and say straight up 'I delivered a parcel here on X-day and it was for the road next door, do you still have it?'. They could well have it sitting behind their door and are waiting for you to come back. A LOT of people will just sit on a parcel and think 'If they don't come back for it I'll keep it'. So knock them up and ask them straight out if they have it. Don't say 'I THINK I delivered it here' because you have the evidence from GPS.
If they say 'I didn't get a parcel' say you checked your PDA and ask them to double check no-one else at the address accepted it and say you will knock again tomorrow to see if it's turned up. After that if they still deny it you can't do anymore - but atleast you've tried.