ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Winter Gloves!
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
Winter Gloves!
This is going to be my first winter on the job. I suffer really badly with cold fingers so not looking forward to it from that point of view. Can anyone recommend any really good gloves for the winter? I don't mind paying for expensive ones if they do the job!
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Winter Gloves!
The fingerless woolen ones they give you do the job.peshwaarinaan wrote:This is going to be my first winter on the job. I suffer really badly with cold fingers so not looking forward to it from that point of view. Can anyone recommend any really good gloves for the winter? I don't mind paying for expensive ones if they do the job!
-
salomon
- Posts: 52
- Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 21:18
- Gender: Female
Re: Winter Gloves!
I manage fine with fingerless but prefer the finer knit ones rather than the ones they give you, I bought 5 pairs for £3 off eBay as I kept missplacing them! I also have a really good pair of running gloves which are fingerless but have a flap you can pull over when fingers get cold pushing the trolley. But honestly I didnt really find my fingers got that cold last winter as constantly using them. Have a look at running or cycling mits and sealskin is a good make
-
ziggy
- Posts: 114
- Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
- Location: Back o Beyond
Re: Winter Gloves!
Cheap fleecy ones, they are thin enough not to need to cut the fingers off and warm enough as well. I found woollen ones didn't last. Make sure you have a few pairs out with you so you can swap them over when they get wet 
-
maximus12
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 08:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Winter Gloves!
They supply gloves? I've never had any! Are they on the uniform site?
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Winter Gloves!
maximus12 wrote:They supply gloves? I've never had any! Are they on the uniform site?
they're crap. If you're any bigger than a dwarf or have hands bigger than those of a Barbie doll you won't be getting them on. you'll be doing an impression of O.J. Simpson in the courtroom with them, but without spreading your hidden fingers in the wrist part to pretend the don't fit on.
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Winter Gloves!
How can RM be >350 years old and think that those FINGERLESS gloves are suitable for WINTER?

-
centenaryman
- Posts: 512
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Winter Gloves!
yeah we normally get the d.o.m ordering a box full an he dishes them out.maximus12 wrote:They supply gloves? I've never had any! Are they on the uniform site?
ive never had a problem with the cold and hands.....I find using the fingerless seem to warm ya hands up enough
if you go for full hand gloves you tend to fumble around trying the sort letters.
I know lads that use the sealskin ones there happy with them.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Winter Gloves!
I personally only had to use gloves once that was a few years back when the temperatue got to a sustained - 10c for a few days
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
cyrus
- Posts: 215
- Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Winter Gloves!
Wear a base layer to keep your core warm,so heat can travel to your fingers.I use a combination of fingerless glove and a wrist warmer, under or over it.Keeps my hands nice and toasty.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Winter Gloves!
Builders Thermal Grip Gloves. Couple of quid a pair from DIY stores. Also got a couple of cheaper pair in one of the Aldi weekly specials.
Hi Vis, so Extra Safety!

Hi Vis, so Extra Safety!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
Re: Winter Gloves!
Thanks for all your replies. Presumably you have to have fingerless gloves so you can handle the mail?
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Winter Gloves!
If money is no object then I'd recommend these:
http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/spor ... oves-olive
Toasty warm and waterproof, yet give you a free finger to separate the soggy letters while on delivery.
http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/spor ... oves-olive
Toasty warm and waterproof, yet give you a free finger to separate the soggy letters while on delivery.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Winter Gloves!
£50!!!!!!!!!!wannabeek wrote:If money is no object then I'd recommend these:
http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/spor ... oves-olive
Toasty warm and waterproof, yet give you a free finger to separate the soggy letters while on delivery.
You must get a fair bit of docket...
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
Re: Winter Gloves!
I would happily pay £50 if it meant I didn't have freezing fingers
.