ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Different rules different offices!!!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sosobad6
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3
Joined: 04 Apr 2014, 18:43
Gender: Male

Different rules different offices!!!

Post by sosobad6 »

First post, I like the job but only when I leave the office! Been a Postie 2 years, reserve so get messed about. I work in office (A) mostly, when it comes to parcels tracked with signature and recordeds haven't to go to neighbour but returned to office. Worked office (B) for a few weeks to cover holidays/sickness. Everything in this office has to go to neighbours except specials and normal packets can b left in bins or wherever so long as little as possible is returned. The line manager waits with clipboard to see who returns what at end of day! Worked office (C) a couple of days where I know a Postie got 2 year final written warning for leaving a parcel in a bin. Last week worked in a new office (D) for first time, all tracks no answer get returned to office but specials and recordeds can get left at local post office!!! No parcels have to go to neighbours as there's been complaints. If a special goes missing can't we lose our jobs but we've to leave it at a shop!! All these offices are within 30 mins drive of each other. Long post, hope it makes sence!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Different rules different offices!!!

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Your post comes as no surprise to me mate! Same in our area....each different office has all it's own procedures. You wouldn't think we all work for the same Company. :d'oh!

Don't know what to suggest as the best course of action for you. You have hit the nail on the head concerning getting yourself in trouble. However you could probably use that as a defence i.e I didn't realise this office doesn't leave parcels in sheds etc as Office B does! :hmmmm Unfortunately you'll find in this job you normally only learn anything the hard way! When you've dropped a bollock you get told, "You shouldn't have done that we do it this way"! :crazy:

Perhaps you should turn up with a clip board and ask the DOM..."What is your Office Procedure for.......?" Then of course you'd be the one that was being awkward......... You can't win so just cover your back! :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
sosobad6
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3
Joined: 04 Apr 2014, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Different rules different offices!!!

Post by sosobad6 »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Your post comes as no surprise to me mate! Same in our area....each different office has all it's own procedures. You wouldn't think we all work for the same Company. :d'oh!

Don't know what to suggest as the best course of action for you. You have hit the nail on the head concerning getting yourself in trouble. However you could probably use that as a defence i.e I didn't realise this office doesn't leave parcels in sheds etc as Office B does! :hmmmm Unfortunately you'll find in this job you normally only learn anything the hard way! When you've dropped a bollock you get told, "You shouldn't have done that we do it this way"! :crazy:

Perhaps you should turn up with a clip board and ask the DOM..."What is your Office Procedure for.......?" Then of course you'd be the one that was being awkward......... You can't win so just cover your back! :thumbup

Just seems terrible someone's fearing for their job when it's acceptable in nearby offices. I'll just do what I'm told, I'm paid from the neck down :crazy:
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Different rules different offices!!!

Post by wannabeek »

I know exactly what you mean as I have covered many offices in our region with many different rules in each one. I always ask what the local protocol is before I go out on delivery regarding these situations you have described. There would have to be a serious numpty of a manager present not to be aware that different offices have different rules, despite what the company policy supposedly is nationally.

I don't find it too hard to keep track of what each of office rules are once I go back to them, just remember what I did last time I was there. I'd double check if in any doubt tho.
mr hil.
Posts: 422
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 18:22
Gender: Male

Re: Different rules different offices!!!

Post by mr hil. »

Personally I would follow the official RM policy regardless of what each individual office says.

So.... normal parcel, try neighbour or leave a docket for local post office if applicable or return to DO.
Signed for, tracked, delivery scanned, try neighbour or leave docket for DO.
International signed for and Specials no answer...leave a docket for DO.

Safe place only if it is secure and marked on the parcel where the safe place is. This for tracked and as of today I had a delivery scanned item that had safe place marked on it too.

These procedures have been agreed and so you are covered no matter what your local DO says. If you deviate from the correct procedures and an item goes missing it can get very messy.
Jack Rouse
Posts: 74
Joined: 09 Jul 2014, 20:01
Gender: Male

Re: Different rules different offices!!!

Post by Jack Rouse »

I've worked in various offices and found that things are done differently, to what I do normally.

I don't change, I work the way RM want me to, I use a trolley, take pkts back if no-one is in, never ask a neighbour because I don't know the walks, I've never had a complaint.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Different rules different offices!!!

Post by bustedflush »

Follow the rules and you'll be safe.

1. Specials ONLY to house addressed, not neighbours or anywhere else bar the return to DO.
2. DO NOT doorstep anything, tracked or not unless parcel has it on sticker (tracked).
3. Try a neighbour if time permits and make a note mentally of which one(s).

Do the above and no manager/DIM or anybody can justifiably discipline you, whatever office. See them try and fall flat on their faces.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Different rules different offices!!!

Post by rambo1 »

Doorstepping tracked. Well first, never leave ANYTHING on a doorstep. The (LATEST) rule concerning tracked is if no reply, try neighbour, unless they are the tickets the specify to not. If you have a regular place you leave packets ie greenhouse that is secure and undercover and out of sight, you now MAY NOT leave a tracked there unless that place is specified in the 'safeplace' box on the label. This really confuses the customer when you leave normal packets but not tracked. Anyways they are (this week's) rules although you can have a week off in this job and it can all change!
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Different rules different offices!!!

Post by dave72 »

bustedflush wrote:Follow the rules and you'll be safe.

1. Specials ONLY to house addressed, not neighbours or anywhere else bar the return to DO.
.
We leave ours at the local Post Office, they scan them in to their Horizon system