ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Who's received a 'uniform tax rebate' letter?
-
paulthepostie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 123
- Joined: 06 Nov 2009, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Who's received a 'uniform tax rebate' letter?
Morning all, as the title says has anyone received one of these?. I have this morning telling me from a company who seem to know i work as a postman and that becuase i work as one i am owed a tax rebate for wearing a uniform and laundering it myself.
They're telling me that I'm owed £120 and there's a £12 payment and 24% cost to them for processing the payment. I always thought this was worked out in our wages already?. How would i go about finding out for myself, as if this is true then £120 would come in handy.
Thanks guys!.
They're telling me that I'm owed £120 and there's a £12 payment and 24% cost to them for processing the payment. I always thought this was worked out in our wages already?. How would i go about finding out for myself, as if this is true then £120 would come in handy.
Thanks guys!.
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Who's received a 'uniform tax rebate' letter?
Call your tax office,you can find out all this yourself and claim up to four years back.
I won
-
paulthepostie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 123
- Joined: 06 Nov 2009, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Who's received a 'uniform tax rebate' letter?
Thanks for the quick reply mate!. The letter is saying from this company that it's a flate rate of £120 and i have to tick the boxes appropiate to the years i can claim. Which as you say is four years. The problem is am i going to have to fill in endless forms, hence why these companies exist to do the work for you.spiderj wrote:Call your tax office,you can find out all this yourself and claim up to four years back.
-
paulthepostie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 123
- Joined: 06 Nov 2009, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Who's received a 'uniform tax rebate' letter?
Just an update and help for anyone else in case they need it. I applied for a tax rebate myself on the government website (saving me having to pay a compnay to do it).
You need to fill in a 'p87' form and just claim flat rate expenses for uniform. Print it off and sign it. I'm now going to wait and see if i am owed anything from HMRC.
You need to fill in a 'p87' form and just claim flat rate expenses for uniform. Print it off and sign it. I'm now going to wait and see if i am owed anything from HMRC.
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Who's received a 'uniform tax rebate' letter?
endless forms? nah 1 page or so per year claimed of the exact info that you will need to fill in for these companies anyway
what's your tax code on your payslip? If it's 1060L then your on the normal tax code which does not include the uniform allowance so if that's the case you should be claiming
what's your tax code on your payslip? If it's 1060L then your on the normal tax code which does not include the uniform allowance so if that's the case you should be claiming
-
paulthepostie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 123
- Joined: 06 Nov 2009, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Who's received a 'uniform tax rebate' letter?
my code is 1072l/0 not sure what that means.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Who's received a 'uniform tax rebate' letter?
Thats means you probably already have the rebate.paulthepostie wrote:my code is 1072l/0 not sure what that means.
The simplest way to work out tax code is add a 0 to the numbers and thats how much you can earn before paying tax - so yours is £10,720 or £120 more than the other code of £10600.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
paulthepostie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 123
- Joined: 06 Nov 2009, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Who's received a 'uniform tax rebate' letter?
That does make sense now. I will send it as i don't whether that has been my tax code for previous years. Chances are i won't get anything, but i still have christmas stamps left, so why not.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Who's received a 'uniform tax rebate' letter?
Don't pay these scamming parasites a penny. If at RM you should already AUTOMATICALLY get the 120 extra tax-free allowance as payroll do it for you. Remember it's 120 per annum allowance, NOT £120 in your pocket. The annual take-home benefit to you is 120x 20% = £24. As TBT says. it's already done if you have a 1072 tax-code.
In weekly terms you take home 46p more to pay for your uniform laundry. Whoopee.
In weekly terms you take home 46p more to pay for your uniform laundry. Whoopee.
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Re: Who's received a 'uniform tax rebate' letter?
And that's why I always use less conditioner and only use the half cycle on my washing machine for my uniform.bustedflush wrote:
In weekly terms you take home 46p more to pay for your uniform laundry. Whoopee.
I have noticed that some of my colleagues rarely wash their uniform. They must be quids in.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
Flashman_
- Posts: 363
- Joined: 05 Jan 2010, 00:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Who's received a 'uniform tax rebate' letter?
I got one of those letters. I would like to know where they got the info that made sense for them to send it?
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Who's received a 'uniform tax rebate' letter?
That's what I wondered too. It makes you think what gets passed on and sold to dodgy marketing companies.Flashman_ wrote:I got one of those letters. I would like to know where they got the info that made sense for them to send it?
This tax rebate 'offer' is absolutely no different in principle to the PPI tw@ts who offer to do something on your behalf that you yourself could do in 30 minutes and charge a whopping commission. Chancers and parasites preying on the uninformed.
-
theargyspy
- Posts: 252
- Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 17:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: UK
Re: Who's received a 'uniform tax rebate' letter?
I got one too, and wandered where they got my address and details from, wish I had kept the letter now, might have been worth phoning them and asking where they got my personal details fromFlashman_ wrote:I got one of those letters. I would like to know where they got the info that made sense for them to send it?
"Never have I known an employee so keen to employ you, then so eager to get rid of you!"