ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Got ToldTo P1ss Off 3 Times By a Customer Today

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
In The Know
Posts: 50
Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 18:11
Gender: Male

Got ToldTo P1ss Off 3 Times By a Customer Today

Post by In The Know »

So, I managed to go to work today after a sleepless night after having 2 weeks off holidays. I was due to be on the hardest round in the office but found myself on the easiest. I've done it a few times and know it quite well. Anyway as I was delivering I walked up one drive where there was an old bloke sat in just a pair of shorts sunbathing at the front of his garage. As I walk up the drive a King Charles spaniel appears and starts barking a walking quickly towards me, I walked backwards and away from it with the dog in sight at all times. The dog was on an extended lead and had to stop coming towards me. The bloke didn't even bother trying to stop the dog, so I got the hump and dropped the post on the lawn and walked off to the next house via block paving linking both houses. The bloke shouts out 'you're not a nice postman are you!' I reply by saying I don't like being bitten, ok. The dog hadn't bitten me, but would it have? As I cross back over the road and adjacent to his house he shouts 'PISS OFF' I says, what did you just say. He says 'PISS OFF, you're going in the right direction, hope I see you tomorrow!' I say, I'm not on tomorrow. He says 'GO ON PISS OFF'. I reply with with something that I'm not going to admit to just in case. Where do I stand here?
Richard007
Posts: 84
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:34
Gender: Male

Re: Got ToldTo P1ss Off 3 Times By a Customer Today

Post by Richard007 »

You have nothing to worry about he was rude you were rude no one can prove anything so forget it
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Re: Got ToldTo P1ss Off 3 Times By a Customer Today

Post by Creditshampoo »

Shouldn't have thrown the mail down. Should have left the garden and waited for the man to come collect if not take it back mark as no access.

Not really sure what you mean where you stand, as I assume the man hasn't complained to your office about you.
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Got ToldTo P1ss Off 3 Times By a Customer Today

Post by Hitcher »

You threw the mail on the ground when you should have just endorsed it and returned it to the office.
GT750rider
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 216
Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
Gender: Male

Re: Got ToldTo P1ss Off 3 Times By a Customer Today

Post by GT750rider »

A postie who used to work at the office I was at was delivering to a house, and he got half way down the path when a dog came racing from the back of the house. Said postie ran back to the gate, slammed it shut, whilst the occupants stood laughing. He said " So, you think that's funny do you ? " He then ripped the letters in two, dropped them on the path and walked away.
No complaint was forthcoming.
In The Know
Posts: 50
Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 18:11
Gender: Male

Re: Got ToldTo P1ss Off 3 Times By a Customer Today

Post by In The Know »

GT750rider wrote:A postie who used to work at the office I was at was delivering to a house, and he got half way down the path when a dog came racing from the back of the house. Said postie ran back to the gate, slammed it shut, whilst the occupants stood laughing. He said " So, you think that's funny do you ? " He then ripped the letters in two, dropped them on the path and walked away.
No complaint was forthcoming.
Like it.

No complaint has been as far as I'm aware. But why should we have to put up with abuse and expect to keep calm? Yes I shouldn't have dropped the letters on the lawn, but if he's going to just sit there sunning himself in his garage while letting his dog yap and possibly attack me, what am I supposed to do when all I'm thinking about is what the dog is going to do. I just thought fcuk you you cnut, get your own mail, I'm not putting up with this.
Jack Rouse
Posts: 74
Joined: 09 Jul 2014, 20:01
Gender: Male

Re: Got ToldTo P1ss Off 3 Times By a Customer Today

Post by Jack Rouse »

The correct procedure is to endorse the mail "No Access, Dog running free" and inform a manager ASAP.

You can ( I Think) also refuse to deliver mail to that house if the dog is always free.
bogstandard
Posts: 1074
Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16

Re: Got ToldTo P1ss Off 3 Times By a Customer Today

Post by bogstandard »

i would agree with the above however, it is my understanding that we must exit the premesis the same way we enter it.
You mentioned block paving linking the two and i would hazzard a guess and say that it wasn't laid for your benefit and ease of access also that the use if it must be granted by, i would imagine, both parties.
If we work as the route was planned we cannot be held responsible or blamed for damge to front gardens. Are we allowed to walk accross grassed front gardens because there is no sign saying keep off the grass?
It is my own personal opinion but i do believe we should respect every property.

Treat others as you would have them treat you.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
Brainache
Posts: 394
Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 21:37
Gender: Male

Re: Got ToldTo P1ss Off 3 Times By a Customer Today

Post by Brainache »

A few months ago I entered a gate, bloke opened upstairs window and said piss off, laughing. So I went back to the van and drove off still with the mail. Half hour later, the women who lives there found me. `` I`m very sorry but my partner is an arsehole isnt he ?``.
`Yes !` I agreed and gave her the mail. If any customer shouts abuse I would turn round and clear off with the mail. Inaccessable/H&S.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Got ToldTo P1ss Off 3 Times By a Customer Today

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Have to say whatever they say its best not to respond with any colourful language, or even a sarky comment. The reason why is that it will ultimately come down to your word against theirs, and we all know which way management tend to go on such matters. Best advice is bite your tongue and walk away.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
sophie97
Posts: 169
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 15:10
Gender: Female

Re: Got ToldTo P1ss Off 3 Times By a Customer Today

Post by sophie97 »

I had a customer who was a busy body who always used to moan no matter what we did, he lived in a very affluent block of flats, one day I just had enough and snapped back and told him to get of my case, he has never said anything since and never complained to my office, and if he did, it would still of been worth it
richiebroon
Posts: 58
Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 18:48
Gender: Male

Re: Got ToldTo P1ss Off 3 Times By a Customer Today

Post by richiebroon »

Had a similar situation a month or so ago. Was at a gate and front door was open. A dog come running out and was jumping up at the gate. It jumped up and bit the letters out of my hand and then dropped them on the path. I didn't go in to get them back and the owner of the house came out and started shouting at me.
CharlesSpooner
Posts: 383
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
Gender: Male

Re: Got ToldTo P1ss Off 3 Times By a Customer Today

Post by CharlesSpooner »

If a dog was running loose then fill in a hazard card.

Next time that house has something important looking, birthday cards, tracked or a SD then look at the house before entering. Open front door? Endorse and return as it's possible the dog could come running out. Open back gate? Once again the possibility of a dog attack rears it's ugly head. And when you bring the item back you have the cover of a documented hazard at the property.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Got ToldTo P1ss Off 3 Times By a Customer Today

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I love Dogs! ;liar Because everytime I see one in a garden, don't even care if it's asleep, I just write "Dog loose" on the mail and walk on! I really love it when I see one running around in a close, or cul-de-sac, because I write on the front of the whole bundle "Dog Loose in Street" Can save you a lot of time. :thumbup

Annoys me when I mention it to the Regular postie and you get the old, "That Dog's OK, you can go in there, he won't bite you"! I blame them for not "Educating" their customers! "Tell them to get a box on their gate if their Dog is always running loose". Had a bit of Karma last week, one of the Regular guys got nipped (not badly) by one of his "Lovely" dogs on his round. I took great pleasure in telling him, "I told you so,never enter when a dog's loose"! :whistle
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
knighty9901
Posts: 6
Joined: 04 Nov 2012, 14:33
Gender: Male

Re: Got ToldTo P1ss Off 3 Times By a Customer Today

Post by knighty9901 »

I responded to one old bsatard who was messing me about and being bloody rude "don't worry I won't forget you, I will ensure you get the service you deserve"". Obviously I said it with the correct amount of venom so there was no doubting what I meant.
Reminds me of that famous reference someone who didn't like his employee gave him - it stated "He was fired with enthusiasm".