ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Blackmailed into working days off
-
GoingPostal86
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 132
- Joined: 02 Dec 2012, 06:49
- Gender: Male
Blackmailed into working days off
Hello
My manager has practically said if I dont work my days off or overtime when needed then certain days I need off in the future may not be achieveable. Is this a load of bollocks? I need a day off in 2016 for my bro's wedding and got told basically the above! I am on 20 hours and currently take my day off and dont do alot of overtime due to small kids, school etc
Thanks!
My manager has practically said if I dont work my days off or overtime when needed then certain days I need off in the future may not be achieveable. Is this a load of bollocks? I need a day off in 2016 for my bro's wedding and got told basically the above! I am on 20 hours and currently take my day off and dont do alot of overtime due to small kids, school etc
Thanks!
Last edited by GoingPostal86 on 02 Sep 2015, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
-
loverman shabba
- Posts: 238
- Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Blackmailed into working days off
see what your union rep has to say
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Blackmailed into working days off
unless you book annual leave he probably could stop you getting the day off thats what they doGoingPostal86 wrote:Hello
My manager has practically said if I dont work my days off or overtime when needed then certain days I need off in the future may not be achieveable. Is this a load of bollocks? I need a day off in 2016 for a wedding and got told basically the above! I am on 20 hours and currently take my day off and dont do alot of overtime due to small kids, school etc
Thanks!
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Blackmailed into working days off
Yes, it's total bollocks.GoingPostal86 wrote: My manager has practically said if I dont work my days off or overtime when needed then certain days I need off in the future may not be achieveable. Is this a load of bollocks?
The days off you need won't be available whether you work your days off or not.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32794
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Blackmailed into working days off
Scumbag.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32794
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Blackmailed into working days off
Scumbag.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Blackmailed into working days off
Given his behaviour even if you did come in on your day off, there is a pretty good chance he won't give you the day off you need anyway, so I would tell him to do one and go sick through stress or work related issue which is correct because he has created an intolerable working environment.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
DiamondSmiles
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Blackmailed into working days off
Ask him for his 'views' again but this time have someone with you as a witness.
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Blackmailed into working days off
Do you honestly belief a manager that comes out with a warning/threat like that is really going to give you a lieu day off in the future for working a day off? RM seems on a drive to purposely understaff depots, begging OPGs to work their day off, to reduce annual depot costs.
-
suz67
- Posts: 105
- Joined: 10 Mar 2010, 15:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Blackmailed into working days off
Next time he asks you to work your day off say ok but you don' t want paying for it you want to swap it for the day you want off next year,if he says he can't,then for sure he as no intention of giving you time off whether you work your day off or not,if he's desperate he'll agree to it
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Blackmailed into working days off
Part Time Posties are always shat on Big Time. Your DOM relies on you to fill in all the overtime shortfalls that have probably arisen due to his incompetent planning!
Decide what you want to do....If your 20 hours contract is OK with you write him a letter and state" I am on a 20 Hour Contract I do not want additional overtime please stop asking me to work my days off"! Keep a copy on your PC and give a copy to your Local Rep (in fact put copy to CWU at the bottom). You have now stated your case....... If he keeps hassling you put in a Grievance or Complaint for Bullying & Harassment.
If you need as much overtime as you can get, then life becomes a lot more difficult.
You have to be willing to accept a lot of messing about, swapping duties, possibly offices and generally getting shat on!
I would try to insist on a continuous rolling day off (regardless of duties covered) that way at least you can make appointments for the following week. However you are playing into his hands and I forsee a lot of problems with you actually getting the money for the hours worked. Do you want that extra overtime or not? 
Decide what you want to do....If your 20 hours contract is OK with you write him a letter and state" I am on a 20 Hour Contract I do not want additional overtime please stop asking me to work my days off"! Keep a copy on your PC and give a copy to your Local Rep (in fact put copy to CWU at the bottom). You have now stated your case....... If he keeps hassling you put in a Grievance or Complaint for Bullying & Harassment.
If you need as much overtime as you can get, then life becomes a lot more difficult.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Kings Norton
- Posts: 320
- Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 17:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Blackmailed into working days off
This is a new way of working now making people work their day off, if not hit them when they want a particular day off, lad in our office never works his day off but few weeks ago two managers took his walk out brought half of it back saying misorts/no access left tracked and packets in for him the next day so in essence its not like having a day off no more they guy is working his day off since and he doesn't want to but he cant be done with the stress next morning. Surly the office manager should have been done for wilful delay in this case..
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Blackmailed into working days off
When he came in after his day off to parcels not delivered, he is not obliged to deliver the whole duty regardless of what time he will finish. If he felt he would have to work past his contract time, he should have followed cut-off procedure ASAP and said he is only prepared to work until he has used all his contracted hours.Kings Norton wrote:This is a new way of working now making people work their day off, if not hit them when they want a particular day off, lad in our office never works his day off but few weeks ago two managers took his walk out brought half of it back saying misorts/no access left tracked and packets in for him the next day so in essence its not like having a day off no more they guy is working his day off since and he doesn't want to but he cant be done with the stress next morning. Surly the office manager should have been done for wilful delay in this case..
Overtime is voluntary.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Blackmailed into working days off
It's an old trick, "We can't cover your duty...you might come in to find two days mail to deliver"!
Fine, just throw everything off (including households which I bet no one did) and then follow the over running procedure telling the DOM you have no time to lapse and you'll be finishing on time!
If the walk has been thrown off I find it only takes you and hour or so extra to actually deliver it. So RM are looking at saving quite a bit of overtime, seeing as no one was paid to deliver it. I'll be buggered if I'm rushing around to make up for their incompetence.
If the walk has been thrown off I find it only takes you and hour or so extra to actually deliver it. So RM are looking at saving quite a bit of overtime, seeing as no one was paid to deliver it. I'll be buggered if I'm rushing around to make up for their incompetence.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)