ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by peshwaarinaan »

I know that this applies to males too but what are the official rules regarding loo breaks please?

My round is changing next week. I currently have a public toilet on my round but from next week there won't be one. I've been told to knock on someone's door which I'm really not happy with! I'm going to be out for 4-5 hours and there is no way I can last that long. I'm a female Postie.

Can anyone advise please?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

BY law, if there is no official "Welfare Stop" designated, then you are allowed to return to the office full stop.

If they refuse then get your equality officer at branch involved and follow Linda Roy on twitter she is a top champion on "female concerns" if you can forgive the expression.

If its a male manager thats refusing then demand to speak to a female manager, as there are other health issues involved. This may scare them enough to back off.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Izzy
Posts: 125
Joined: 10 Jan 2008, 23:09

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by Izzy »

The only solution is to drink less. I have milky porridge and coffee for breakfast and then no liquid until I finish my walk or on a hot day I have some water in the last hour or two of my walk. It is hard to do the indoor 6.30 - 9.30am without a tea or coffee but it is doable. I take an empty bottle on delivery (no weight) and then on hot days ask a customer for some tap water towards the end of the walk.

When I started 15 years ago I occasionally asked a customer. I felt very uncomfortable invading people's homes. After one unsavoury experience too many I decided on the above policy. On most days you won't be remotely near the dehydration that is a health issue. It's just hard to go without the mental boost of a hot drink during prep.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

How is drinking less going to stop women needing to visit the toilet. Its not just No 1 and No 2 for them, there is, to put it delicatley a 3rd biological reason, and no reduction of drinking is going to reduce that need.

Employers must by law provide solutions for sanitary matters, if that means identifying toilet locations, providing toilets, or allowing traveling time to use them, then they must do so.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by POSTMAN »

Should of been sorted in revisions,there is a lot of 'should ofs' in this game.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by greengiant »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:BY law, if there is no official "Welfare Stop" designated, then you are allowed to return to the office full stop.

If they refuse then get your equality officer at branch involved and follow Linda Roy on twitter she is a top champion on "female concerns" if you can forgive the expression.

If its a male manager thats refusing then demand to speak to a female manager, as there are other health issues involved. This may scare them enough to back off.
Except if you are on a HCT walk, then it's an awfy long walk back to the office for a #1 or a #2, then back on to the round! Especially if the round takes a good 5 to 5 and a half hours on a good day... :mad
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by korky »

Izzy wrote:The only solution is to drink less. I have milky porridge and coffee for breakfast and then no liquid until I finish my walk or on a hot day I have some water in the last hour or two of my walk.
pretty sure everyone is different when it come to re-hydration
i drink a minimum of 1.5 litres on whilst out on duty regardless of weather, i also have bran/porridge/weetabix before work too,
toilets ? non on any of my loops but 1 open mon-fri on our 2nd loop another later on but hit & miss (more miss) if its open,
i just utilities the empty screen wash bottle :left:
fleecy
Posts: 23
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 12:49
Location: hell

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by fleecy »

we have to drive to the next park n loop duty for a loo stop half way round our delivery, its a community centre, we are both female in my van so it's a blessing in desguise not to have to drive all the way back to the office, I'm just waiting for the day we get dragged in the bosses office for being spotted off route :nana
Kings Norton
Posts: 320
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 17:20
Gender: Male

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by Kings Norton »

peshwaarinaan wrote:I know that this applies to males too but what are the official rules regarding loo breaks please?

My round is changing next week. I currently have a public toilet on my round but from next week there won't be one. I've been told to knock on someone's door which I'm really not happy with! I'm going to be out for 4-5 hours and there is no way I can last that long. I'm a female Postie.

Can anyone advise please?
I worked with a female last year she wanted a toilet every minute of the day she used to drink two full bottles of water a day she spent more time drinking water than sorting her bags out, She had me on detours to Drs, Garages, offices,Schools, got sick of it in the end told here find somewhere where I'm not breaking off and going out of my way, fact off the matter was i could have done 5/6 packets or reggies while looking for somewhere for her. Its her problem now, like another post said "Drink less" wouldn't mind if she would help me at the end when i fell behind but she deliberately killed time. If she hurried up a bit she could be back at the office like a few of the other girls and finished.
Izzy
Posts: 125
Joined: 10 Jan 2008, 23:09

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by Izzy »

[Should of been sorted in revisions,there is a lot of 'should ofs' in this game.]
In my experience you're best to solve you're own problems in RM. on one of my duties the only loo stop is a lovely clean pub. It is a driving duty so could be designed to suit but has been planned with the pub as the third call!!! It should be approx 3/4 of the way thru'
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by peshwaarinaan »

My round is a good 6 miles from the office. The female manager has told my partner to knock on someone's door or get me to ring the office if I need the loo. I'm on a temp contract so I'm hardly likely to be expecting someone to do a 12 mile round trip to take me to the loo and labelled as a troublemaker :shock: .
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by bustedflush »

POSTMAN wrote:Should of been sorted in revisions,there is a lot of 'should ofs' in this game.

There shouldn't be any 'should ofs' but maybe a few 'should have's'.

Back on track, I cannot see how people on a hot day can go a whole walk without a drink of water. I have drunk 2 litres on some days and still not even needed a gipsy's when I got back to the DO. If people are afraid to drink because of the need for the bog it will be a matter of time before we have casualties from dehydration, which is serious. I have worked with a couple of runners who get round so quick they don't even have a drink, and I keep asking them 'how?'

And it's not as easy for females to have a quick disguised one as it is for a man.
Budfrog
Posts: 893
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by Budfrog »

Loo Breaks form part of the 'Personal Needs' element of the Relaxation Allowance which forms part of the workload for every OPG job in Royal Mail

Attached is an example of a relaxation allowance table, similar to the one RM uses. RA will vary according to the type of job and how difficult it is but the Personal Needs are constant.

Image

Women get 2% more than men for obvious reasons
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

greengiant wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:BY law, if there is no official "Welfare Stop" designated, then you are allowed to return to the office full stop.

If they refuse then get your equality officer at branch involved and follow Linda Roy on twitter she is a top champion on "female concerns" if you can forgive the expression.

If its a male manager thats refusing then demand to speak to a female manager, as there are other health issues involved. This may scare them enough to back off.
Except if you are on a HCT walk, then it's an awfy long walk back to the office for a #1 or a #2, then back on to the round! Especially if the round takes a good 5 to 5 and a half hours on a good day... :mad

Then they should risk assess the duty properly and either:

1. Get a designated toilet stop where you can store the HCT securely (ie receptionist etc).

2. Put a plan in place that allows uplift and return of either you or the HCT or both. This could include using a 2nd postie to continue delivery/guard the HCT while your absent.

Its written into law, they must provide welfare facilities.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

What the law says

Under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act l974 employers must ensure the health, safety and welfare at work of all their employees, and maintain the workplace so that it is safe and without risks to health. They must also provide adequate facilities and arrangements for welfare at work.

In addition the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 require employers to

Provide suitable and sufficient sanitary conveniences and washing facilities at readily accessible places.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.