ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The mileage we walk.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
rangtwice
Posts: 12
Joined: 29 Mar 2013, 18:18
Gender: Male

The mileage we walk.

Post by rangtwice »

Some people in our office are using pedometers to track their daily mileage.What is the maximum daily mileage a postman can do from signing on in a morning to signing off in the afternoon??
Fatigue,and exhaustion are beginning to rear their ugly heads.On average over the last 4 weeks they are clocking up 14+ miles a day,surely something must be done before somebody actually collapses or in the worst case dies on delivery.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: The mileage we walk.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

rangtwice wrote:Some people in our office are using pedometers to track their daily mileage.What is the maximum daily mileage a postman can do from signing on in a morning to signing off in the afternoon??
Fatigue,and exhaustion are beginning to rear their ugly heads.On average over the last 4 weeks they are clocking up 14+ miles a day,surely something must be done before somebody actually collapses or in the worst case dies on delivery.

It may already have happened.

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 18&t=54120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Was postman who died in 27C heat forced to do round because Royal Mail were short-staffed?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
gand
Posts: 253
Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 17:36
Gender: Male

Re: The mileage we walk.

Post by gand »

There are people in my office having to get hip replacements all under the age of 40! And all because of this job.
oypostie
Posts: 915
Joined: 25 Dec 2007, 13:39

Re: The mileage we walk.

Post by oypostie »

That will cut the 14+ miles you walk a day to 7+ miles, simples
Only it won't because the hours that are being taken out for part-time duties are the indoor hours. Outdoor hours remain the same :no no
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Re: The mileage we walk.

Post by doorstepped »

pedometers are not correct with their mileage, you need an app that is GPS based.

I use one called Runtastic Pro and it is pretty accurate, I walk on ave 7.8 miles a day in around 3hr 45 mins with a HCT from DO to 1st call and then back again, at a rough pace of 28 minute miles ( 2.1mph ) and I am not slow by any means.
I start the App when I leave the office and stop it when I arrive back.

a pedometer counts every movement inc when you are standing and moving at your frame and at the doorstep posting the mail. GPS does not so is more correct overall.

if someone is doing 14 miles of walking a day in a 4hr 15m outdoor walk span then they are walking at 3.4mph, try running constantly at 3.4mph inc while you are on the doorstep.
Last edited by doorstepped on 31 Aug 2015, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Re: The mileage we walk.

Post by Creditshampoo »

14 miles a day is a lie.
With overtime and I mean one long ass shift from leaving my door at 6am to getting home at 7pm I do 30km which is 18 miles.
salomon
Posts: 52
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 21:18
Gender: Female

Re: The mileage we walk.

Post by salomon »

I wear a GPS watch which is also a pedometer, the longest walk I do is just short of 12 miles with an hct and shortest 7 miles, both part time walks and then the lapsing is on top, I've only managed the long one twice in my time and that surprisingly is on a Tuesday!!
gand
Posts: 253
Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 17:36
Gender: Male

Re: The mileage we walk.

Post by gand »

My GPS app tells me I do 11.59mi with an average speed of 3.3 mph which takes 3 hours 31 minute's
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: The mileage we walk.

Post by korky »

once clocked mine using a gps app over 2 days (wed/thur) because my battery wouldn't last,
worked out at 13.5 miles for both halves and that was pausing it when driving between loops,
we've since had 45 mins worth added too!
Tank
Posts: 206
Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 12:15
Gender: Male

Re: The mileage we walk.

Post by Tank »

My Iwatch says I do on average 8.5 miles in about 3.5 hours hct no traveling out time 10 mins back.
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: The mileage we walk.

Post by Nondescript »

Whether we walk eight miles or 14 miles a day, the most important consideration is that the job is wearing people's knee and hip joints out at a greatly accelerated rate compared to those of the average person. Anyone who doubts that may scoff (as I used to), but just continue to do the job, and wait awhile, and your turn will come.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: The mileage we walk.

Post by DGP1 »

I do between 17 and 19km per day according my my Fitbit, having measured a distance against it it does seem to be pretty accurate.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
rusty nails
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 52
Joined: 02 Dec 2014, 16:30
Gender: Male

Re: The mileage we walk.

Post by rusty nails »

Nondescript wrote:Whether we walk eight miles or 14 miles a day, the most important consideration is that the job is wearing people's knee and hip joints out at a greatly accelerated rate compared to those of the average person. Anyone who doubts that may scoff (as I used to), but just continue to do the job, and wait awhile, and your turn will come.
Speaking of knee's hips etc. When I first started I was warned about the health impacts by the older posties and I thought they were joking. I had my breaks, used trolley, walked at a reasonable pace etc. Now left royal mail and I walk with a limp (think a constipated john wayne), with permanent knee and feet pain. I was in the army for 4 years with no health issues. All this and I was a postie for under 5 years, god knows how the old timers go on I'm under 30.
gand
Posts: 253
Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 17:36
Gender: Male

Re: The mileage we walk.

Post by gand »

Wonder what our wonderful union is doing to help us? Oh yeah that's right there getting us more door to doors to do which increases our fatigue even more :crazy: well done bob.
halfull
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 858
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: The mileage we walk.

Post by halfull »

the union will do nothing to combat how hard delivery is now,
if this is a chosen long term career now,you had better accept a future with hip/knee replacements in your 40/50's. I already have.