ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Part-timers and their 10 minute break in the morning
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Part-timers and their 10 minute break in the morning
Are their any part timers who take their break?
In the previous office I worked in we worked to a schedule that we were owed 30 minutes and thus finished 30 minutes early and everyone was happy.
Since I moved I don't think any PT'er take their 10 minute break in the morning, does anyone, what''s the script to taking it, do you take it after tying up ?
I mentioned it to a few of them and they don't even know they are due it in my current office but tired off working over and might as well take what is due to me cheers.
In the previous office I worked in we worked to a schedule that we were owed 30 minutes and thus finished 30 minutes early and everyone was happy.
Since I moved I don't think any PT'er take their 10 minute break in the morning, does anyone, what''s the script to taking it, do you take it after tying up ?
I mentioned it to a few of them and they don't even know they are due it in my current office but tired off working over and might as well take what is due to me cheers.
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Part-timers and their 10 minute break in the morning
How long is the shift these part timers are working? they should be entitled to more than just a 10 minute break
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Part-timers and their 10 minute break in the morning
Almost 6 hours, seems they all calculate things on 20 minute break but should I just go for a cuppa around 9:45 for 10 minutes and take 20 minutes after one duty is complete and then insist on overtime if I am late back?zx135 wrote:How long is the shift these part timers are working? they should be entitled to more than just a 10 minute break
I say this as a reserve as sick as working my arse off getting pumped on duties I don't know?
edit spoke to my union rep and honestly none the wiser!!!
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Part-timers and their 10 minute break in the morning
jimmynailsalive wrote:Almost 6 hours, seems they all calculate things on 20 minute break but should I just go for a cuppa around 9:45 for 10 minutes and take 20 minutes after one duty is complete and then insist on overtime if I am late back?zx135 wrote:How long is the shift these part timers are working? they should be entitled to more than just a 10 minute break
I say this as a reserve as sick as working my arse off getting pumped on duties I don't know?
edit spoke to my union rep and honestly none the wiser!!!
You can't insist on overtime, you can offer to claim it by following the over running deliveries procedure, but it's not your right to insist on it, a shift of almost 6 hours is entitled to a 30 minute break
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... hp?id=1511" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Part-timers and their 10 minute break in the morning
zx135 wrote:jimmynailsalive wrote:Almost 6 hours, seems they all calculate things on 20 minute break but should I just go for a cuppa around 9:45 for 10 minutes and take 20 minutes after one duty is complete and then insist on overtime if I am late back?zx135 wrote:How long is the shift these part timers are working? they should be entitled to more than just a 10 minute break
I say this as a reserve as sick as working my arse off getting pumped on duties I don't know?
edit spoke to my union rep and honestly none the wiser!!!
You can't insist on overtime, you can offer to claim it by following the over running deliveries procedure, but it's not your right to insist on it, a shift of almost 6 hours is entitled to a 30 minute break
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... hp?id=1511" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not following that bit, what do you mean I can't insist on Overtime, I want to take my breaks and finish with enough time to hand in my packets, compete my gone aways and go home. My office are looking to sack people because of mistakes not stickering up mail where there was no entry, other staff at nearby offices have been sacked for mail being found in vans etc, I want to offer a good shift and have the time to do what they want without going over and as a reserve getting bounced about I no longer have confidence in any full time duty holder to do this for me. I'm therefore looking to get all opinions to stop me being shafted like I was today for another 30 minutes seeing as I'm unable to look at the frame and give an approximate finishing time if its my first time on a duty?
-
Jack Rouse
- Posts: 74
- Joined: 09 Jul 2014, 20:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Part-timers and their 10 minute break in the morning
Start on time, work your hours, take your breaks, follow the cut off procedure.jimmynailsalive wrote:zx135 wrote:jimmynailsalive wrote:Almost 6 hours, seems they all calculate things on 20 minute break but should I just go for a cuppa around 9:45 for 10 minutes and take 20 minutes after one duty is complete and then insist on overtime if I am late back?zx135 wrote:How long is the shift these part timers are working? they should be entitled to more than just a 10 minute break
I say this as a reserve as sick as working my arse off getting pumped on duties I don't know?
edit spoke to my union rep and honestly none the wiser!!!
You can't insist on overtime, you can offer to claim it by following the over running deliveries procedure, but it's not your right to insist on it, a shift of almost 6 hours is entitled to a 30 minute break
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... hp?id=1511" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not following that bit, what do you mean I can't insist on Overtime, I want to take my breaks and finish with enough time to hand in my packets, compete my gone aways and go home. My office are looking to sack people because of mistakes not stickering up mail where there was no entry, other staff at nearby offices have been sacked for mail being found in vans etc, I want to offer a good shift and have the time to do what they want without going over and as a reserve getting bounced about I no longer have confidence in any full time duty holder to do this for me. I'm therefore looking to get all opinions to stop me being shafted like I was today for another 30 minutes seeing as I'm unable to look at the frame and give an approximate finishing time if its my first time on a duty?
In other words if you think you cannot complete a duty, and do not want to work over time in order to complete it, tell a lino, if you think you will go over by 30 mins tell him you expect to go over by 45mins.
It's then up to him to get that 45mins worth of work delivered, I would guess on a normal day that 45mins would be about one pouch and packets.
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Part-timers and their 10 minute break in the morning
It's not your decision whether you are or are not allowed to claim overtime it's your managers that's why you cannot insist on it, you can offer to claim it but it's his decision at the end of the dayjimmynailsalive wrote:zx135 wrote:jimmynailsalive wrote:Almost 6 hours, seems they all calculate things on 20 minute break but should I just go for a cuppa around 9:45 for 10 minutes and take 20 minutes after one duty is complete and then insist on overtime if I am late back?zx135 wrote:How long is the shift these part timers are working? they should be entitled to more than just a 10 minute break
I say this as a reserve as sick as working my arse off getting pumped on duties I don't know?
edit spoke to my union rep and honestly none the wiser!!!
You can't insist on overtime, you can offer to claim it by following the over running deliveries procedure, but it's not your right to insist on it, a shift of almost 6 hours is entitled to a 30 minute break
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... hp?id=1511" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not following that bit, what do you mean I can't insist on Overtime, I want to take my breaks and finish with enough time to hand in my packets, compete my gone aways and go home. My office are looking to sack people because of mistakes not stickering up mail where there was no entry, other staff at nearby offices have been sacked for mail being found in vans etc, I want to offer a good shift and have the time to do what they want without going over and as a reserve getting bounced about I no longer have confidence in any full time duty holder to do this for me. I'm therefore looking to get all opinions to stop me being shafted like I was today for another 30 minutes seeing as I'm unable to look at the frame and give an approximate finishing time if its my first time on a duty?
if you don't want to work over, follow the over running deliveries procedure, that means at the point when it becomes apparent you won't be able to complete on time, you contact the manager and ask him what he would like you to do, at that point he can authorise overtime or get someone else to complete the delivery for you, you have the choice whether to accept his offer of overtime or cut off to enable you to finish on your time, I would suggest if you don't know if you are going to complete or not on time before going out, ask the manager before going out how to contact him when and if it becomes apparent that you can't complete
-
Flashman_
- Posts: 363
- Joined: 05 Jan 2010, 00:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Part-timers and their 10 minute break in the morning
This seem to be standard practice to attempt to bully people into working more than they are required without being paid.
You are entitled to 30 minutes break in total. normally this would be as you have explained i.e. 10 minutes after tieing up followed by 20 minutes in the middle of the duty.
As for overtime, you need to tell the lino that you may not be able to finish in time, and either you want to cut off or would be willing to do overtime. If they refuse to pay overtime tell them you will be cutting off at whatever time you think that would give you time to get back to the office, bag off etc. Make it clear that if you have not had your breaks you will be finishing at a relevant time.
Government guidelines state that any breaks should not be taken at the end or the start of a duty, and therefore you could insist on having your 20min break in the middle. However there is nothing stopping you deciding to take your break at the end in one go if that is what suits you. Just make sure that your lino knows that you have not taken your breaks and therefore will be finishing 30 minutes( or 20 minutes if you took your 10 min break) earlier. If you need to do overtime add this to your official finish time, not the time you start your break if taken at the end of your duty.
I know some will say that you should take your breaks at the allotted times in your 318, and in an ideal world this would be the best thing to do, however this is often impractical, and could lead to manager bullying if you are seen to be doing something differently than the rest of the office(even though that may be the way the job is designed) This could be especially true for part timers working with full timers which is what happens in our office.
You are entitled to 30 minutes break in total. normally this would be as you have explained i.e. 10 minutes after tieing up followed by 20 minutes in the middle of the duty.
As for overtime, you need to tell the lino that you may not be able to finish in time, and either you want to cut off or would be willing to do overtime. If they refuse to pay overtime tell them you will be cutting off at whatever time you think that would give you time to get back to the office, bag off etc. Make it clear that if you have not had your breaks you will be finishing at a relevant time.
Government guidelines state that any breaks should not be taken at the end or the start of a duty, and therefore you could insist on having your 20min break in the middle. However there is nothing stopping you deciding to take your break at the end in one go if that is what suits you. Just make sure that your lino knows that you have not taken your breaks and therefore will be finishing 30 minutes( or 20 minutes if you took your 10 min break) earlier. If you need to do overtime add this to your official finish time, not the time you start your break if taken at the end of your duty.
I know some will say that you should take your breaks at the allotted times in your 318, and in an ideal world this would be the best thing to do, however this is often impractical, and could lead to manager bullying if you are seen to be doing something differently than the rest of the office(even though that may be the way the job is designed) This could be especially true for part timers working with full timers which is what happens in our office.
-
bogstandard
- Posts: 1074
- Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16
Re: Part-timers and their 10 minute break in the morning
As you have said jimmy you are new to the duty so the "expert" is your lino.
Take your break when you want, i cannot be scheduled at the end, likely before you commence delivery.
As for not knowing the delivery, you should make your lino aware that you either are or are not available to perform o/t that day as soon as possible, and that you have no idea how much you can do. As the "expert" the lino should know, never forget they are the decision maker not you. Let them decide. Put the question to them and say "look come back to me on that i'll be at the frame" hey presto potential witness' to their decision. Should they come bak with their decision ask any colleague in earshot if they understood that and call the manager back to repeat it and say you didn't quite understand, you think you've misheard them and so and so hear didn't follow either.
Take your break when you want, i cannot be scheduled at the end, likely before you commence delivery.
As for not knowing the delivery, you should make your lino aware that you either are or are not available to perform o/t that day as soon as possible, and that you have no idea how much you can do. As the "expert" the lino should know, never forget they are the decision maker not you. Let them decide. Put the question to them and say "look come back to me on that i'll be at the frame" hey presto potential witness' to their decision. Should they come bak with their decision ask any colleague in earshot if they understood that and call the manager back to repeat it and say you didn't quite understand, you think you've misheard them and so and so hear didn't follow either.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Part-timers and their 10 minute break in the morning
We have CLEAR rules in our office. Part time get 30 mins which is split 15 minsX2, firstly on a morning during or after the full timers take their break (upto you) and the other 15 when we finish which is knocked off the finishing time. There is ZERO confusion regarding breaks in our office. Now ive worked in other offices where the part time hours start times are later and have started work at 9oclock to be told I have to go on a break immediately at 9oclock which is stupid.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Part-timers and their 10 minute break in the morning
jimmynailsalive wrote: In the previous office I worked in we worked to a schedule that we were owed 30 minutes and thus finished 30 minutes early
But Before you moved nobody took 10 minutes either. They had their whole 30 at the end.jimmynailsalive wrote: Since I moved I don't think any PT'er take their 10 minute break in the morning
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Part-timers and their 10 minute break in the morning
The rules may be clear but if the Part-timers are expected to work for 6 hours, then the rules are illegal. The minimum statutory break when expected to work for 6 hours is 20 minutes.postiewhite wrote:We have CLEAR rules in our office. Part time get 30 mins which is split 15 minsX2, firstly on a morning during or after the full timers take their break (upto you) and the other 15 when we finish which is knocked off the finishing time. There is ZERO confusion regarding breaks in our office. Now ive worked in other offices where the part time hours start times are later and have started work at 9oclock to be told I have to go on a break immediately at 9oclock which is stupid.
https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rest breaks at work
Workers have the right to one uninterrupted 20 minute rest break during their working day (this could be a tea or lunch break), if they work more than 6 hours a day.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
bogstandard
- Posts: 1074
- Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16
Re: Part-timers and their 10 minute break in the morning
your office is in breach of the way forward agreement which enhances and improves legal break times for p/t employees so if your rep or manager gets challenged on this expect them to lose. Yes they are entitled to 30 mins but this must be planned to be taken in one go. They may choose to split it but it would be unfair to impose this or pressure them into this format.postiewhite wrote:We have CLEAR rules in our office. Part time get 30 mins which is split 15 minsX2, firstly on a morning during or after the full timers take their break (upto you) and the other 15 when we finish which is knocked off the finishing time. There is ZERO confusion regarding breaks in our office. Now ive worked in other offices where the part time hours start times are later and have started work at 9oclock to be told I have to go on a break immediately at 9oclock which is stupid.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Part-timers and their 10 minute break in the morning
bogstandard wrote:your office is in breach of the way forward agreement which enhances and improves legal break times for p/t employees so if your rep or manager gets challenged on this expect them to lose. Yes they are entitled to 30 mins but this must be planned to be taken in one go. They may choose to split it but it would be unfair to impose this or pressure them into this format.postiewhite wrote:We have CLEAR rules in our office. Part time get 30 mins which is split 15 minsX2, firstly on a morning during or after the full timers take their break (upto you) and the other 15 when we finish which is knocked off the finishing time. There is ZERO confusion regarding breaks in our office. Now ive worked in other offices where the part time hours start times are later and have started work at 9oclock to be told I have to go on a break immediately at 9oclock which is stupid.
actual no where in the way forward agreement does it state that the 30 minute break should be taken in one go,
-
bogstandard
- Posts: 1074
- Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16
Re: Part-timers and their 10 minute break in the morning
p22 section 5 under the heading Meal Breakszx135 wrote:bogstandard wrote:your office is in breach of the way forward agreement which enhances and improves legal break times for p/t employees so if your rep or manager gets challenged on this expect them to lose. Yes they are entitled to 30 mins but this must be planned to be taken in one go. They may choose to split it but it would be unfair to impose this or pressure them into this format.postiewhite wrote:We have CLEAR rules in our office. Part time get 30 mins which is split 15 minsX2, firstly on a morning during or after the full timers take their break (upto you) and the other 15 when we finish which is knocked off the finishing time. There is ZERO confusion regarding breaks in our office. Now ive worked in other offices where the part time hours start times are later and have started work at 9oclock to be told I have to go on a break immediately at 9oclock which is stupid.
actual no where in the way forward agreement does it state that the 30 minute break should be taken in one go,
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP