I had a bit of an accident today. I slipped down a step and went over on my ankle pretty bad. I had to leave my duty and partner and go to a and e. Turns out I've sprained my ankle so I'll be off tomorrow and hopefully back on Monday.
I have to go in to my D.O tomorrow for an accident investigation. What is this?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Accident investigation
-
Jack Rouse
- Posts: 74
- Joined: 09 Jul 2014, 20:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Accident investigation
If you are not fit to work, then you are not fit to go into the office for an "accident investigation" it's as simple as that, if you have been signed off work by a Doctor then you are off work full stop.
It will have to wait until you are fit to walk again.
It will have to wait until you are fit to walk again.
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Accident investigation
As Jack says, would be better if you phone them in the morning and say you can't put weight on it and give them the option of coming to you if they are desperate which they won't.
Just tell them hopefully it'll improve by Monday and you'll try and make it in if you are able to walk/drive, I seen you're quite a new start so don't be intimidated, stick to your guns on not going in unless you make a miraculous recovery.
Just tell them hopefully it'll improve by Monday and you'll try and make it in if you are able to walk/drive, I seen you're quite a new start so don't be intimidated, stick to your guns on not going in unless you make a miraculous recovery.
-
richiebroon
- Posts: 58
- Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 18:48
- Gender: Male
Re: Accident investigation
I haven't been signed off, I have to self certificate first.
My doms have been sound so far. One of them gave me a lift up to a and e and they have said they will arrange a lift to the office for me tomorrow if I am unable to drive.
And also I'll be looking to go back to work as quick as possible anyway as I don't have a year's service yet so I don't get paid for being off sick.
My doms have been sound so far. One of them gave me a lift up to a and e and they have said they will arrange a lift to the office for me tomorrow if I am unable to drive.
And also I'll be looking to go back to work as quick as possible anyway as I don't have a year's service yet so I don't get paid for being off sick.
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Accident investigation
Is it not 6 months for sick pay, can't remember as never been off yet?richiebroon wrote:I haven't been signed off, I have to self certificate first.
My doms have been sound so far. One of them gave me a lift up to a and e and they have said they will arrange a lift to the office for me tomorrow if I am unable to drive.
And also I'll be looking to go back to work as quick as possible anyway as I don't have a year's service yet so I don't get paid for being off sick.
Make sure that includes a lift back but seems pointless going in but suppose being in less than a year you'll not want to rock the boat so if picking you up and dropping you home I suppose best not to grumble if it was me, easy for long termers to be braver and tell you otherwise!
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Accident investigation
richiebroon wrote:I had a bit of an accident today. I slipped down a step and went over on my ankle pretty bad. I had to leave my duty and partner and go to a and e. Turns out I've sprained my ankle so I'll be off tomorrow and hopefully back on Monday.
I have to go in to my D.O tomorrow for an accident investigation. What is this?
Pretty standard so don't worry.
Your Dom has to fill out a ERICA report about the accident. You will be asked questions about the fall and the address etc. Key points to remember are the fact that you were NOT reading the mail whilst walking or fishing about for a PDA etc. You were not listening to headphones and you had taken a break that morning. Also make sure you are wearing RM issue shoes with good tread unless your have a reason not to.
That's pretty much it. Your Dom should visit the scene and take photo's.
If your CWU speak to your H&S rep to see if you can get a few days light duties to give your ankle a good chance to heal. Delivery work has a nasty habit of finding weakness.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Accident investigation
Appreciate that you you're keen to start earning again, but do make sure you've fully recovered before you return to Proper Deliveries.
Too many times we see Posties coming back to work not fully recovered.(Often after a bit of pressure from the DOM).
It's false economy (on their part) because these posties are often off again after a short period with the same problem!
Remember your legs are your "Tools of the Trade" look after them mate.
Too many times we see Posties coming back to work not fully recovered.(Often after a bit of pressure from the DOM).
Remember your legs are your "Tools of the Trade" look after them mate.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
coxie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1336
- Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
- Gender: Male
Re: Accident investigation
You do NOT have to go in tomorrow!
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Accident investigation
i would have insured it went into the accident book urgentcoxie wrote:You do NOT have to go in tomorrow!
-
secf
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 07:00
- Gender: Female
Re: Accident investigation
Don't go in, what the managers in Belfast do to reduce accidents is to get you in and then threaten and worn you to work indoors, so the accidents stats look good. In Belfast the DSM sacks people who are on sick leave in general, he is a blow in from Scotland and thinks he is a hard man….if you are on sick he ignores GP advice etc and sacks you after 1 week.