ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

does this remind you of your office?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

does this remind you of your office?

Post by eastie »

With our rounds during the Pegasus revision in 2012 timed at 4 hours 15 mins how the hell are we supposed to finish our rounds 2 years later in 3 hours!!
After treble lapsing and boxes to empty from 2 rounds , large parcels and specials for 2 rounds ( partner on our P/L round left and his round is now lapsed)
I don't get to start delivering MY round until 10.30am and my finish time is 13.30pm.
needless to say I never complete but others I'm sure are bullied into coming in earler or do it for no confrontation with the management.
I thought lapsing was done when the mail was light but it seems that now doesn't make any difference.
All the managers do now is number crunch in the office, massaging figures and hide the O/T book.
We have all and sundry in the cage who are on light duties and the person from the cage is doing cut offs and they wonder why they cant find packets in the callers office.
It seems its one crisis to another each day with management running round like headless chickens trying to put square pegs in round holes
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: does this remind you of your office?

Post by jimmynailsalive »

Management hinting in our office people will be sacked for not endorsing mail correctly when they return but seeing we are already over our time I've already left about 100 letters which had no access for the morning shift as nobody would endorse OT for doing them. Something has to give. :evil/mad
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: does this remind you of your office?

Post by DB1100 »

Good post,I liken the situation in our office to trying to wipe an elephants arse with a fag paper,not actually doing anything apart from moving it all around,it's a crazy situation.
For we were soldiers once,and young
Jack Rouse
Posts: 74
Joined: 09 Jul 2014, 20:01
Gender: Male

Re: does this remind you of your office?

Post by Jack Rouse »

Seems to be the norm now, my delivery span is well over 5 hours, I go 40 mins over on a Tuesday, and I'm still expected to do lapsing.

Managers need telling everyday that I choose how much overtime I do, not them, so the lapsing doesn't get done.

We keep getting promised that the walks will be sorted, and new staff will be taken on, but new staff leave as fast as they join, most are now being taken on 20hr contracts and expected to work 7hr days.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: does this remind you of your office?

Post by coxie »

jimmynailsalive wrote:Management hinting in our office people will be sacked for not endorsing mail correctly when they return but seeing we are already over our time I've already left about 100 letters which had no access for the morning shift as nobody would endorse OT for doing them. Something has to give. :evil/mad


I had to go through this, union rep said take stickers out with you and endorse the letters after each loop and bring back and extra bag and blame it on that. Done that and they soon relented
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Re: does this remind you of your office?

Post by LaggyBand »

DB1100 wrote:Good post,I liken the situation in our office to trying to wipe an elephants arse with a fag paper,not actually doing anything apart from moving it all around,it's a crazy situation.
Do you work at my office..?! LOL so funny. Linos just cannot figure out (or won't spend the time) to rig up a jet wash and blast it off properly. One day at a time (they actually say that, meaning all I'm bothered about is reporting "clear", then I'm off home on time and not a minute over (or better yet, early (job/finish for us after all))).
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: does this remind you of your office?

Post by DB1100 »

LaggyBand wrote:
DB1100 wrote:Good post,I liken the situation in our office to trying to wipe an elephants arse with a fag paper,not actually doing anything apart from moving it all around,it's a crazy situation.
Do you work at my office..?! LOL so funny. Linos just cannot figure out (or won't spend the time) to rig up a jet wash and blast it off properly. One day at a time (they actually say that, meaning all I'm bothered about is reporting "clear", then I'm off home on time and not a minute over (or better yet, early (job/finish for us after all))).
Nothing get's sorted,I sometimes find myself feeling sorry for some of the DOM's,they come to our office and do try to get thing's sorted but it's like a great big enthusiasm sponge it just soaks up all their good intent and dribbles out lethargy and failure.
For we were soldiers once,and young
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: does this remind you of your office?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

If you've done the same walk for several years you will probably know, from how many packets, parcels and tracked you take out each day, that every week now is like what a December week used to be like :sad: but you're still meant to do it in the usual time. :arrrghhh
BarnsleyLackey
Posts: 349
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
Gender: Male

Re: does this remind you of your office?

Post by BarnsleyLackey »

eastie wrote:With our rounds during the Pegasus revision in 2012 timed at 4 hours 15 mins how the hell are we supposed to finish our rounds 2 years later in 3 hours!!
After treble lapsing and boxes to empty from 2 rounds , large parcels and specials for 2 rounds ( partner on our P/L round left and his round is now lapsed)
I don't get to start delivering MY round until 10.30am and my finish time is 13.30pm.
needless to say I never complete but others I'm sure are bullied into coming in earler or do it for no confrontation with the management.
I thought lapsing was done when the mail was light but it seems that now doesn't make any difference.
All the managers do now is number crunch in the office, massaging figures and hide the O/T book.
We have all and sundry in the cage who are on light duties and the person from the cage is doing cut offs and they wonder why they cant find packets in the callers office.
It seems its one crisis to another each day with management running round like headless chickens trying to put square pegs in round holes

Reading that, I'd say you're at our office.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Re: does this remind you of your office?

Post by LaggyBand »

I've noticed people on here just say, "simply stay calm and work your time".

Do they not get any resistance when they do this? Do they simply get a "oh, I see you have two trays left, well just leave them on that frame and I'll see you tomorrow! Hope everything was safe on your round today. Ta - ta!"

Sure doesn't happen at ours.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: does this remind you of your office?

Post by eastie »

LaggyBand wrote:I've noticed people on here just say, "simply stay calm and work your time".

Do they not get any resistance when they do this? Do they simply get a "oh, I see you have two trays left, well just leave them on that frame and I'll see you tomorrow! Hope everything was safe on your round today. Ta - ta!"

Sure doesn't happen at ours.
Why not ??
O/T isn't compulsory.
If you are at your finishing time you bring what you haven't delivered back'
If the DOM says you have to complete by going over that's bullshit.
That is what a DOM's job is
To manage the office and get the mail delivered and if postmen cannot deliver their mail by finish time and don't want O/T it is up to the DOM to give it to someone else who does want O/T. Failing that someone from another office can do it on O/T. If that doesn't happen the lino or DOM has to deliver it .
It's not your problem mate, its the DOM's problem, that's what he gets paid for and not sitting in his office on Ebay or on the internet on his phone with his feet on the table drinking coffee.
Any resistance as you call it can b classed a BULLYING and just tell him your not going over and walk away without waiting for a reply
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Re: does this remind you of your office?

Post by LaggyBand »

It's the Linos. They say/shout "you have got time", "you're under performing", "there'll be conduct if you don't complete".

I know it's not our problem. But simply saying "just work your time" isn't the answer for some people. Especially new starters. They get scared their contract won't be extended/made permanent. So they work for free at our place.
mw7485
Posts: 123
Joined: 02 Dec 2013, 15:41
Gender: Female

Re: does this remind you of your office?

Post by mw7485 »

DB1100 wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:
DB1100 wrote:Good post,I liken the situation in our office to trying to wipe an elephants arse with a fag paper,not actually doing anything apart from moving it all around,it's a crazy situation.
Do you work at my office..?! LOL so funny. Linos just cannot figure out (or won't spend the time) to rig up a jet wash and blast it off properly. One day at a time (they actually say that, meaning all I'm bothered about is reporting "clear", then I'm off home on time and not a minute over (or better yet, early (job/finish for us after all))).
Nothing get's sorted,I sometimes find myself feeling sorry for some of the DOM's,they come to our office and do try to get thing's sorted but it's like a great big enthusiasm sponge it just soaks up all their good intent and dribbles out lethargy and failure.

Now that made me laugh!!!!
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: does this remind you of your office?

Post by Jpro747 »

Still a mess. We can't even get anyone to stay at ours. Someone gets hired on a 20 hour contract and expected to do a 40+ hour week. They get one days training on a tough round plus lapsing, they then find it too difficult and leave. So now they have to hire someone else which takes another 10 weeks, all the while we are expected to pick up the pieces because we're short staffed. Absolute joke, still, were making enough profit to fund the top bods lucrative pay checks so long may it continue. :crazy:
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: does this remind you of your office?

Post by DB1100 »

mw7485 wrote:
DB1100 wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:
DB1100 wrote:Good post,I liken the situation in our office to trying to wipe an elephants arse with a fag paper,not actually doing anything apart from moving it all around,it's a crazy situation.
Do you work at my office..?! LOL so funny. Linos just cannot figure out (or won't spend the time) to rig up a jet wash and blast it off properly. One day at a time (they actually say that, meaning all I'm bothered about is reporting "clear", then I'm off home on time and not a minute over (or better yet, early (job/finish for us after all))).
Nothing get's sorted,I sometimes find myself feeling sorry for some of the DOM's,they come to our office and do try to get thing's sorted but it's like a great big enthusiasm sponge it just soaks up all their good intent and dribbles out lethargy and failure.

Now that made me laugh!!!!
Thanks,I'm quite enjoying work at the minute,all the brown noser's have been really busy the last few month's impressing the new manager with their straight out the courier "can do attitude" and now we find out the manager is leaving ha ha,so all that creeping and coffee making has been in vain,they have got to start again,shouldn't laugh really.
For we were soldiers once,and young