ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Some people are so lovely to us,then there are the rude ones
-
UsernameAlreadyInUse
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 06 Jul 2015, 00:10
- Gender: Female
Some people are so lovely to us,then there are the rude ones
The lovely people are great but the rude ones make me want to get another job be honest.
I find the rural rounds to be so much more enjoyable than the town ones:-
"Don't fold the letters when you put them through my door" (had to explain the science behind it)
"Did you actually ring my door bell before leaving the note (739)?" (Only 3 times - you were hiding because you hadn't done your make-up)
"Shut the gate!" (It was open when I came. I leave things as I find them).
I could probably cope with all that but then:-
The DOMs want blood out of you and then it's not enough. I pity mine but he still makes my life unpleasant.
I never realised that a pre-requisite for working for Royal Mail was that you had to be a low life.
I find the rural rounds to be so much more enjoyable than the town ones:-
"Don't fold the letters when you put them through my door" (had to explain the science behind it)
"Did you actually ring my door bell before leaving the note (739)?" (Only 3 times - you were hiding because you hadn't done your make-up)
"Shut the gate!" (It was open when I came. I leave things as I find them).
I could probably cope with all that but then:-
The DOMs want blood out of you and then it's not enough. I pity mine but he still makes my life unpleasant.
I never realised that a pre-requisite for working for Royal Mail was that you had to be a low life.
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Some people are so lovely to us,then there are the rude
It's not just RM, it's the nature of any job dealing with the general public unfortunately. I worked in retail for many years and some of the customers were awful, especially some of the posh ones. I used to reckon that about 80% of the public had no impact on my day, 15% were lovely and made it better, yet the other 5% were so obnoxious and rude that an encounter with one of them would often totally ruin a day!
It's the same ratio now I think, but nowadays I can make an apology and walk away. Back then I had to stand there while they vented their steam until they finally gave up and left. That was horrendous sometimes.
It's the same ratio now I think, but nowadays I can make an apology and walk away. Back then I had to stand there while they vented their steam until they finally gave up and left. That was horrendous sometimes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Some people are so lovely to us,then there are the rude
Yes, it's the nature of any job dealing with the general public unfortunately and that's how it's been since Thatcher and her "no such thing as society".

-
Daniel-san
- Posts: 74
- Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 17:51
- Gender: Male
Re: Some people are so lovely to us,then there are the rude
I've worked in the callers office before and some of the people who came in there were horrendous!
It was MY fault that they couldn't collect their packet because they had no I.D. !!
Had some people screaming and shouting, swearing, threatening to batter me if there wasn't a window there, lol, thumping down on the counter!
If only they could read the instructions are on the p739!
It was MY fault that they couldn't collect their packet because they had no I.D. !!
Had some people screaming and shouting, swearing, threatening to batter me if there wasn't a window there, lol, thumping down on the counter!
If only they could read the instructions are on the p739!
-
borgpicard
- Posts: 486
- Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:45
- Gender: Male
Re: Some people are so lovely to us,then there are the rude
The general public are arse holes
-
Anonymouse
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Some people are so lovely to us,then there are the rude
Don't think i'd like to work in the callers office. There always seems to be something kicking off in there.
Most of the people on my round are fine.
I do have a busybody old hag however. Some days i feel like handing her the mail to deliver since she knows how to do my job much better than me.
A lot more loud mouthed kids these days too.
Most of the people on my round are fine.
I do have a busybody old hag however. Some days i feel like handing her the mail to deliver since she knows how to do my job much better than me.
A lot more loud mouthed kids these days too.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Some people are so lovely to us,then there are the rude
Whoever came up the phrase "the customer is always right" should be shot
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Some people are so lovely to us,then there are the rude
And there's the kids who think singing "Postman Past, Postman Past" will mock and offend me.Anonymouse wrote:Don't think i'd like to work in the callers office. There always seems to be something kicking off in there.
Most of the people on my round are fine.
I do have a busybody old hag however. Some days i feel like handing her the mail to deliver since she knows how to do my job much better than me.
A lot more loud mouthed kids these days too.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Some people are so lovely to us,then there are the rude
You've got to bend letters if the slot you're shoving it in is either tiny or a bit stiffUsernameAlreadyInUse wrote:"Don't fold the letters when you put them through my door" (had to explain the science behind it)
We often encounter rare letterboxes that are no larger than standard iPhone size. Question is why would a customer want to travel all the way up to the callers office just for an A4 letter??
I can deal with lazy people who don't answer the door until you put a red slip through. Its the closing gates thing and the sight of some bare-chested tattoed chav with a loud gob who randomly hurls abuse at unsuspecting posties just because he can't be bothered to fix his gate that annoys me.....
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Some people are so lovely to us,then there are the rude
Unfortunately we can't tell these idiots to go forth and multiply but I find a good dose of sarcasm goes a long way!
Just get a few practiced phrases off pat, such as "Always leave gates as we find them Sir"......... "We only deliver mail as addressed, NOT, to individuals Madam"......."I'm terribly sorry Madam, I'll make sure that doesn't happen again".
Not as rewarding as giving them a mouth full, but it's something to say in your defense. Plus they can't complain because you've been rude!
Try not to get involved in a full blown argument and I always try to finish off with a "Well thank you for making my job that much more easier Sir"
You can always get your revenge when they're waiting for that very important parcel....But still decide to go out... then you can docket them and make them come to the office to collect it. Instead of finding a safe place for it.
Just get a few practiced phrases off pat, such as "Always leave gates as we find them Sir"......... "We only deliver mail as addressed, NOT, to individuals Madam"......."I'm terribly sorry Madam, I'll make sure that doesn't happen again".
Not as rewarding as giving them a mouth full, but it's something to say in your defense. Plus they can't complain because you've been rude!
You can always get your revenge when they're waiting for that very important parcel....But still decide to go out... then you can docket them and make them come to the office to collect it. Instead of finding a safe place for it.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Some people are so lovely to us,then there are the rude
Seeing as they have started sacking people for finding "safe places" there are no longer safe places in my City, even had someone put a notice on their door to put mail under the mat as the dog would chew it, nope, dog chewed paper that day.Dorset Plodder wrote:Unfortunately we can't tell these idiots to go forth and multiply but I find a good dose of sarcasm goes a long way!![]()
Just get a few practiced phrases off pat, such as "Always leave gates as we find them Sir"......... "We only deliver mail as addressed, NOT, to individuals Madam"......."I'm terribly sorry Madam, I'll make sure that doesn't happen again".
Not as rewarding as giving them a mouth full, but it's something to say in your defense. Plus they can't complain because you've been rude!Try not to get involved in a full blown argument and I always try to finish off with a "Well thank you for making my job that much more easier Sir"
You can always get your revenge when they're waiting for that very important parcel....But still decide to go out... then you can docket them and make them come to the office to collect it. Instead of finding a safe place for it.
-
simply_the_best
- Posts: 594
- Joined: 24 Sep 2007, 10:29
Re: Some people are so lovely to us,then there are the rude
Lounge Lizard wrote:Yes, it's the nature of any job dealing with the general public unfortunately and that's how it's been since Thatcher and her "no such thing as society".![]()
No arseholes before Thatcher, she has much to answer for but thats nonsense
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Some people are so lovely to us,then there are the rude
He's always had a soft spot for her,thin line between love and hate as they say.simply_the_best wrote:Lounge Lizard wrote:Yes, it's the nature of any job dealing with the general public unfortunately and that's how it's been since Thatcher and her "no such thing as society".![]()
No arseholes before Thatcher, she has much to answer for but thats nonsense
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Some people are so lovely to us,then there are the rude
DB1100 wrote:He's always had a soft spot for her,thin line between love and hate as they say.simply_the_best wrote:Lounge Lizard wrote:Yes, it's the nature of any job dealing with the general public unfortunately and that's how it's been since Thatcher and her "no such thing as society".![]()
No arseholes before Thatcher, she has much to answer for but thats nonsense
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Some people are so lovely to us,then there are the rude
I've had my share of awkward customers, I draw the line at being threatened and did actually get the police out on one customer, the outcome was he shut up after being given "word of advice" and a threat of arrest next time, he spoke more civilly to me since.
(The manager would have sat on it and done nothing about it so it if you want something done you do it yourself)
The rest of the time I simply do the job by the book and P739 all packets and stiff items even if I could curve it to get it through, I won't, other times I take great joy when I let their dog eat their Giros and cheques. There are more ways to skin a cat.
Nice people and those that gave Christmas tips I'm more than happy to help out.
The rest of the time I simply do the job by the book and P739 all packets and stiff items even if I could curve it to get it through, I won't, other times I take great joy when I let their dog eat their Giros and cheques. There are more ways to skin a cat.
Nice people and those that gave Christmas tips I'm more than happy to help out.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.