ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
sent to another office
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
sent to another office
Why did my DOM send me to another office to cover a duty due to it being shortstaffed with sickness and resignations when our own office had 3 lapsed duties and lots of people cutting off ??
Our office were having to send some people back out if they come back before time with parts of rounds left behind and giving docket .
So why send me to another office and lapse my duty ??
Our office were having to send some people back out if they come back before time with parts of rounds left behind and giving docket .
So why send me to another office and lapse my duty ??
-
coxie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1336
- Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
- Gender: Male
Re: sent to another office
They can send you if you're a reserve. However they cannot make you use your own car, you should turn up at your own office on your start time and Royal Mail should provide you a means of transport and have you back at your office for your finish time. That is what's set out in agreements if you do that then they won't send you but if you make life easy for them and take your own car they will keep doing it.
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Re: sent to another office
I threw my own round off and then sent me to another office to do one of their tied up deliveries in a works van.
I am not a reserve I'm F/T
I can't see the logic in it
I am not a reserve I'm F/T
I can't see the logic in it
-
GT85
- Posts: 365
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: ASDO
Re: sent to another office
I've had this situation happen before and was told although I was required at our office there is some kind of agreement between local offices to help each other out and their staff shortage was allegedly greater than ours so I had to go. 
We're all here because we're not all there
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3220
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Re: sent to another office
If you remain firm and tell the DOM at office you end up at that you must be back at your DO by your finish time then you'll actually end up having an easier day than had you not been sent.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
bogstandard
- Posts: 1074
- Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16
Re: sent to another office
Many moons ago (in 96) i was told they couldn't take you off of your duty to do something else and pay someone else docket to do your duty.
I was a reserve (did not hold a duty) at the time and could,as a reserve, start one duty get moved to another and finish on a third.
i don't know what if any agreement this is in, possibly SFMB or earlier.
As a working postie you may not have the time to check so why not get someone from HQ to look it up, these people have been of f/t release for donkeys years or longer in some cases. And if like Bobby Gee work for the CWU, it what we employ them to do.
I was a reserve (did not hold a duty) at the time and could,as a reserve, start one duty get moved to another and finish on a third.
i don't know what if any agreement this is in, possibly SFMB or earlier.
As a working postie you may not have the time to check so why not get someone from HQ to look it up, these people have been of f/t release for donkeys years or longer in some cases. And if like Bobby Gee work for the CWU, it what we employ them to do.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: sent to another office
Don't think it's anything personal Eastie. Most of this crap rolls downhill from Area Managers. Your DOM was probably told that he's got to send someone to that office, as mentioned they were probably even more short-staffed than yours was.
I heard a rumour recently that Managers weren't allowed to take mail out on deliveries anymore ( I suspect it's Bullshit to get them out of doing some work) but in the old days they'd move heaven and earth to get a Postie to another office, if it meant they didn't have to go themselves.
The points mentioned are relevant and you can search for this topic as it's always cropping up:
Basically start and finish at your DO at your correct time (allowing for Meal Relief and travelling time)
Ask for transport to the other DO. (You can get paid T&S..Travell & Subsistence...if you're happy to use your car)
If you're happy to do any overtime make sure you get it authorised and it's paid for.
Enjoy yourself.
I heard a rumour recently that Managers weren't allowed to take mail out on deliveries anymore ( I suspect it's Bullshit to get them out of doing some work) but in the old days they'd move heaven and earth to get a Postie to another office, if it meant they didn't have to go themselves.
The points mentioned are relevant and you can search for this topic as it's always cropping up:
Basically start and finish at your DO at your correct time (allowing for Meal Relief and travelling time)
Ask for transport to the other DO. (You can get paid T&S..Travell & Subsistence...if you're happy to use your car)
If you're happy to do any overtime make sure you get it authorised and it's paid for.
Enjoy yourself.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3724
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Re: sent to another office
It's been mentioned before on other threads but most Private Car insurance policies only include commuting to one regular place of work.Dorset Plodder wrote:
The points mentioned are relevant and you can search for this topic as it's always cropping up:
Basically start and finish at your DO at your correct time (allowing for Meal Relief and travelling time)
Ask for transport to the other DO. (You can get paid T&S..Travell & Subsistence...if you're happy to use your car)
If you're happy to do any overtime make sure you get it authorised and it's paid for.
Enjoy yourself.
You would probably need to inform your insurance company - I did this for a different job and it didn't cost anything for me, but cost might depend
on your insurance company.
YB
-
stressed157
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 23 Jul 2015, 17:58
- Gender: Female
Re: sent to another office
How about this - a non driver is sent to another office. Agreed that they'll be taken from base office and fetched back for finishing time. Dom then decides they don't have the resources to get them back, so it's either a £40 taxi journey or the best part of 3 hours on public transport. Can the person refuse to go again?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: sent to another office
Actually I might volunteer again on the proviso that unless transport is guaranteed and provided I would finish delivering 3 hours before my finish time to ensure I return to my office in time as per the agreement.
However, on the actual case I would claim the taxi fare, or the 3 hours overtime and fares. I would also start a grievance against the manager for failing to follow agreed procedure, I wouldn't even think about it, it would be automatic and I would ask them for the form, to get the message across.
However, on the actual case I would claim the taxi fare, or the 3 hours overtime and fares. I would also start a grievance against the manager for failing to follow agreed procedure, I wouldn't even think about it, it would be automatic and I would ask them for the form, to get the message across.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
stressed157
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 23 Jul 2015, 17:58
- Gender: Female
Re: sent to another office
Thanks, all those things went through my head but I wasn't sure I was overreacting through, you know, sheer rage.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: sent to another office

All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: sent to another office
I genuinely dont mind it if I get sent to another office. At the end of the day you are still going to be sat in your own living room with a coffee at the same time plus you also get 45p a mile which I got paid from home not from D.O to D.O which got me an extra £60 for a week in another office. They cant make you work over Something ive made crystal clear to my own manager so I usually end up cutting off and getting picked up. The DOM is just appreciative they have some sort of cover for the day/week. I once got sent to a D.O 20 miles from my house to be told I wasnt needed so I was then sent to another D.O another 17 miles away. I didnt get there til 10 oclock and was paid £16 just in fuel. 