ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

When P/L partner leaves

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

When P/L partner leaves

Post by eastie »

3 months ago my P/L partner had had enough of RM and handed in his notice.
Since he left the job it has not been advertised and has been lapsed ever since with 2 other rounds in our office as well.
What I'm not happy about is that I have to throw off both rounds which I didn't mind as it got me off the IPS .
The DOM then expects me to do the specials for both round, d2d's both rounds , empty the post boxes on both rounds and do the School deliveries as the other round is lapsed
I don't come in early and get harassed by management to get the lapsed duty ready for the early starters to grab before they go out.
Not scared of management but just pissed off with all the hassle and the union is no good either.
Is there any other posties on here that their partner has left and have hassles
yubin282
Posts: 993
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

Re: When P/L partner leaves

Post by yubin282 »

just my regular partner having a day off is a f***ing nightmare
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: When P/L partner leaves

Post by arnold cheshire »

eastie wrote:3 months ago my P/L partner had had enough of RM and handed in his notice.
Since he left the job it has not been advertised and has been lapsed ever since with 2 other rounds in our office as well.
What I'm not happy about is that I have to throw off both rounds which I didn't mind as it got me off the IPS .
The DOM then expects me to do the specials for both round, d2d's both rounds , empty the post boxes on both rounds and do the School deliveries as the other round is lapsed
I don't come in early and get harassed by management to get the lapsed duty ready for the early starters to grab before they go out.
Not scared of management but just pissed off with all the hassle and the union is no good either.
Is there any other posties on here that their partner has left and have hassles
how can you do the d2d on both rounds ?
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: When P/L partner leaves

Post by Hitcher »

arnold cheshire wrote:
eastie wrote:3 months ago my P/L partner had had enough of RM and handed in his notice.
Since he left the job it has not been advertised and has been lapsed ever since with 2 other rounds in our office as well.
What I'm not happy about is that I have to throw off both rounds which I didn't mind as it got me off the IPS .
The DOM then expects me to do the specials for both round, d2d's both rounds , empty the post boxes on both rounds and do the School deliveries as the other round is lapsed
I don't come in early and get harassed by management to get the lapsed duty ready for the early starters to grab before they go out.
Not scared of management but just pissed off with all the hassle and the union is no good either.
Is there any other posties on here that their partner has left and have hassles
how can you do the d2d on both rounds ?
Do one then the other.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3220
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: When P/L partner leaves

Post by Acca Dacca »

Hitcher wrote:
arnold cheshire wrote:
eastie wrote:3 months ago my P/L partner had had enough of RM and handed in his notice.
Since he left the job it has not been advertised and has been lapsed ever since with 2 other rounds in our office as well.
What I'm not happy about is that I have to throw off both rounds which I didn't mind as it got me off the IPS .
The DOM then expects me to do the specials for both round, d2d's both rounds , empty the post boxes on both rounds and do the School deliveries as the other round is lapsed
I don't come in early and get harassed by management to get the lapsed duty ready for the early starters to grab before they go out.
Not scared of management but just pissed off with all the hassle and the union is no good either.
Is there any other posties on here that their partner has left and have hassles
how can you do the d2d on both rounds ?
Do one then the other.
But you only do 1/5th a day. How can you do all the D2Ds on both?
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
Lightweight andy
Posts: 36
Joined: 06 Feb 2014, 18:57
Gender: Male

Re: When P/L partner leaves

Post by Lightweight andy »

Hitcher wrote:
arnold cheshire wrote:
eastie wrote:3 months ago my P/L partner had had enough of RM and handed in his notice.
Since he left the job it has not been advertised and has been lapsed ever since with 2 other rounds in our office as well.
What I'm not happy about is that I have to throw off both rounds which I didn't mind as it got me off the IPS .
The DOM then expects me to do the specials for both round, d2d's both rounds , empty the post boxes on both rounds and do the School deliveries as the other round is lapsed
I don't come in early and get harassed by management to get the lapsed duty ready for the early starters to grab before they go out.
Not scared of management but just pissed off with all the hassle and the union is no good either.
Is there any other posties on here that their partner has left and have hassles
how can you do the d2d on both rounds ?
Do one then the other.
I think he means just putting them in the frames and not actually delivering them..
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: When P/L partner leaves

Post by chrisj »

So you are not doing outsized parcels and tracked for the second round? Consider yourself lucky!

That was not a joke, btw. However, doing specials for 2 rounds is a real pain but it is better than doing tracks and outsized parcels... It just depends on how close the two rounds are and how many specials you get for the other round.

One silver lining is that you are now on your own with a van to yourself - you can easily plan things - get rid of the specials on the other round first and then it is plain sailing; no waiting for another postie or trying to synchronise things...

Throwing off 2 lots doors to doors is now the norm in our office but it is when you cover a round done by a 27.5 hours postie or if the manager knows you can do the job and will not complain too much or you are not an untouchable...

Getting lapse ready for the runners; again, it all depends on you... You do not have to get it ready before a certain time but you will get the nagging especially from other posties. When I do the job, I just spent my time getting the lapse ready before worrying too much about my own round because it is a job you will have to complete anyway - so do it first and then, again, you are on your own with no other postie or partner to worry about.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: When P/L partner leaves

Post by Surreypostie »

Are you the walker or driver? I am the walker, rarely my driver is off and they can get no cover. I do the parcels and tracked items for my duty. I do the specials for my duty. If I have time I offer to do the specials for the other duty. I leave my lapsing. The walking duty should be the larger of the two duties and the driver does the smaller loops to give them time to do all the stuff you can't carry on your trolley. If your duty is the driving duty that's different, however, they cannot make you work past your time.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: When P/L partner leaves

Post by eastie »

Surreypostie wrote:Are you the walker or driver? I am the walker, rarely my driver is off and they can get no cover. I do the parcels and tracked items for my duty. I do the specials for my duty. If I have time I offer to do the specials for the other duty. I leave my lapsing. The walking duty should be the larger of the two duties and the driver does the smaller loops to give them time to do all the stuff you can't carry on your trolley. If your duty is the driving duty that's different, however, they cannot make you work past your time.
They changed it .I don't do my usual loops as the other frame is on lapsing . I just deliver my frame now like the old way . But they want me to do all the large parcels specials and empty the boxes on the lapsed walk and the schools . I will just cut off
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: When P/L partner leaves

Post by Surreypostie »

eastie wrote:
Surreypostie wrote:Are you the walker or driver? I am the walker, rarely my driver is off and they can get no cover. I do the parcels and tracked items for my duty. I do the specials for my duty. If I have time I offer to do the specials for the other duty. I leave my lapsing. The walking duty should be the larger of the two duties and the driver does the smaller loops to give them time to do all the stuff you can't carry on your trolley. If your duty is the driving duty that's different, however, they cannot make you work past your time.
They changed it .I don't do my usual loops as the other frame is on lapsing . I just deliver my frame now like the old way . But they want me to do all the large parcels specials and empty the boxes on the lapsed walk and the schools . I will just cut off
That is all you can do, I would advise, being nice, offering to help them out and pointing out that you don't want to work past your time but you are willing to do as much as you can in your time to help out. Tend not to get too much confrontation that way. What yoyu are doing is also what I do, just my delivery, the other goes on docket and I leave all the large parcels and tracked items for the overtime boys, if they want paying for it they are doing the work.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: When P/L partner leaves

Post by postslippete »

When anyone leaves it puts everyone under pressure. You mention that you prep the duty and take a few specials and large parcels but the other guys are doing their bit of lapsing too?


And so... you will get some flyers who will do it regardless. They don't want to be the bad person in front of the bosses and they don't want the hassle. They might as well keep coming in early as they always have done and accept that they might finish 20 minutes or so later. But at least be back well before their scheduled finish time. Im sure that makes them feel good anyway.

Then you get some who will take it and whinge about it constantly to their P/L partner in the van. They will possibly finish past their time and will probably have every right to claim overtime. But they will go up to the boss and tell them? Don't be silly, they don't want the hassle!

And then you will get some that will go up to their bosses and tell them right there in front of their face that there is too much work to do. They form a bit of a rare breed these days though. But wait until next summer's lapsing kicks in when you've all got 8 loops to do each maybe then we will see an end to job and finish !! Maybe then we will see some postie's grow a set of balls (well a lot of them don't seem to have them) and tell their manager NO I don't want any extra work/ lapsing today and NO I don't want any overtime either !
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
BarnsleyLackey
Posts: 349
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
Gender: Male

Re: When P/L partner leaves

Post by BarnsleyLackey »

Cut Off.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: When P/L partner leaves

Post by eastie »

We lapse all year round apart from 2 weeks at Christmas
bandit1157
Posts: 246
Joined: 20 Aug 2009, 00:51
Gender: Male
Location: sh1t street

Re: When P/L partner leaves

Post by bandit1157 »

They tried it with me. Other walk was being done with a trolley [lasted a couple of weeks] My reply was one man one walk. No bag drops, no specials, no tracked no parcels. I asked why should I do more than other people in the office ? I will do everything for one walk and then only if I've time I will lapse and don't expect me to go any faster so the office can be run on less hours, any problems make sure the job is done as it should be [two men] or come out and time me. Manchester area is well over budget apparently so they are trying to pinch pennies everywhere :Boo hoo!
It's life Jim but not as we know it
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: When P/L partner leaves

Post by Judgee »

Work at a reasonable pace and work to your time. Advise them when you be cutting off and ask them what they want you to prioritise. No need to get stressed, they can't make you work over and they can't make you run around like a blue assed fly so just smile and enjoy watching management flapping around like headless chickens trying to get it covered! :wink:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?