ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

accident book

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mudmonster
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 107
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 15:32
Gender: Male

accident book

Post by mudmonster »

Hello peeps,just a quick question,got bitten by dog,is there a time frame/limit to putting into the ERICA(computer accident book)

Thanks :d'oh! :d'oh!
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: accident book

Post by coxie »

Supposed to be done within 24 hours if possible but if not then as soon as you can. It's your legal right they cannot refuse your request to put it in the accident book
mudmonster
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 107
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: accident book

Post by mudmonster »

Thanks for that Coxie,they haven't done it yet,this was some time ago,I too thought that you had to do it within 24hrs,
Last edited by mudmonster on 12 Aug 2015, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: accident book

Post by POSTMAN »

Rep?
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
mudmonster
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 107
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: accident book

Post by mudmonster »

Already tried that one
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: accident book

Post by POSTMAN »

1. The accident book or equivalent must be readily accessible. (In your case the equivalent would be the online ERICA reporting system).
2. It is a matter for the employee, not the employer or any one acting on behalf of the employer, whether an entry is made in the accident book or equivalent.
3. There is no restriction on the nature and type of accident and injury that can be entered into an accident book or equivalent. It is for the employee to determine whether or not they have sustained a personal injury and whether they have been involved in accident.
4. There is no restriction on the time within which an accident has to have occurred in order for an employee to make a record in the accident book
or equivalent. Regulation 25(3)(b) implicitly recognises that an entry may be made in an accident book at some point after the accident occurred.


Royal Mail have further been advised that a failure to provide a proper, accessible, accident book or equivalent may amount to a breach of statutory duty pursuant to Regulation 5 of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.

Make direct contact with your CWU Area Health & Safety Representative.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
mudmonster
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 107
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: accident book

Post by mudmonster »

Tried that one as well,only ERICA on site ,no book as such,cannot use ERICA without a manager being present,Can you provide a link to the Health &Safety policy stated above please
noggin1969
Posts: 1321
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
Gender: Male

Re: accident book

Post by noggin1969 »

Report it to the DWP as an AOD. I had this when the DOM said it was an incident and not an accident and wouldn't do the ERICA. I stated this on the DWP form and the DWP then got back to RM about the legal requirements of accident reporting and threatened to fine them :Very Happy
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: accident book

Post by spiderj »

No longer a legal requirement to report accidents to dwp u less you are injured and wish to claim industrial injury disablement benefit.

However if the screws are being knobbish,report directly to health and safety exec
:thumbup
I won
mudmonster
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 107
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: accident book

Post by mudmonster »

Thanks for that everyone ,Pity I can,t drop them in it with DWP ,might try any way as they are still not putting it in ,Can't say on here how I feel about this as I will get banned :oops: :oops: :no no :no no
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: accident book

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Only in Royal Mail! :no no Everyone else is unable to move because of H&S restrictions and this companies managers just choose to ignore any they don't like.

I while ago I slipped over on some slimey flagstones. On returning to the DO (no sign of the DOM, it was gone 11.00) :no no I was unable to report it.
The next day I said I wanted to report it (basically in case I had any complication further down the line, I didn't want the old "You should have reported it at the time" line). :no no
"You should have phoned in and reported it as soon as it happened" :no no I told him, "I don't think so"! And no one was in the office when I returned.
"Do you have to go sick" was the next question "If not then you don't have to report it". :no no I insisted that I wanted to report it because it was an "Accident".

"We have the best H&S record in the area" he said pointing to a plastic plaque thingey. "No bloody wonder you have if you never report any accidents" I replied! :Very Happy
You just can't train stupid....It's got to come naturally...... My never ending disrespect for Royal Mail Managers(?) continues. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
noggin1969
Posts: 1321
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
Gender: Male

Re: accident book

Post by noggin1969 »

I also fired off a grievance to the DSM about the lack of H&S reporting. The strain of the apology threw gritted teeth I received from the DOM I got a week later kept me amused for weeks :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
yellowbelly
Posts: 3724
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Re: accident book

Post by yellowbelly »

From the Oct 2014 issue of the RM Welcome Booklet (my highlighting):
Any accident arising from your work, or that takes place during your shift, must be reported immediately to your manager. Managers will
complete an incident report for every accident that occurs in the workplace
and you will be required to provide details.
YB