ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Are there many jobs more tiring?
-
sophie97
- Posts: 169
- Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 15:10
- Gender: Female
Are there many jobs more tiring?
As the title says, I often walk past people doing their day job, with my feet aching, muscles burning, sweat dripping. Thinking wow that looks like alot less work!
Of course things like builders and roofers have a tougher time then us
Of course things like builders and roofers have a tougher time then us
-
osgoody1970
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 360
- Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 13:44
- Gender: Male
Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?
I don't think many builders work flat out like us, we have to go at a pretty sharp pace to finish the walks, with no respite,i done it till I was 55, then had to get out of the job, as I had no life after work, just too tired to do anything, it is not a job for the older person anymore, and both royal mail and the CWU SHOULD LOOK AT THE HEALTH ASPECT!!! of the job and the toll it takes on its workforce!!!
-
Dozen
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 21 Mar 2013, 18:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?
Landscaping is absolutely brutal, definitely worse than being a postie imo.
-
BarnsleyLackey
- Posts: 349
- Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?
I wouldn't put builders or roofers anywhere near us. Nowhere near as intense. Plus they don't get the bullshit we do on a morning.
-
trevjim
- Posts: 170
- Joined: 05 Dec 2012, 20:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?
Builders no. Roofing is about 20% more physical then what we do, As is landscaping.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?
Its not that thejob is more physical than others, but its the fact that once you are on delivery its constant. Builders and landscapers at least can get a 10 minute breather without a customer making a comment or giving you a strange look.
Also the actual planning on the delivery aspect gives no room for a short break, and the CWUs and RMs policies on breaks don't either, but for different reasons.
It frankly amazes me that both recommend you take a break after the least physical aspect of the job, rather than breaking up the grueling part.
Also the actual planning on the delivery aspect gives no room for a short break, and the CWUs and RMs policies on breaks don't either, but for different reasons.
It frankly amazes me that both recommend you take a break after the least physical aspect of the job, rather than breaking up the grueling part.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
GT85
- Posts: 365
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: ASDO
Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?
But don't roofers spend the day in the pub when it's raining ? 
We're all here because we're not all there
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?
And go home even more knackered.GT85 wrote:But don't roofers spend the day in the pub when it's raining ?
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?
Chef,high pressure on feet all day-ten years,good pay and a break in between courses sometimes.
Forces.depends on what you're doing.
Landscaping,planting shrubs and trees but worked at an okay pace.
Roads...held a spanner and used a hiab,put cones out.not too bad.
Binman..less walking and a break between bins.
Postie.. Lasted three years then got ihr due to feet being gubbed and latent mental health issues exacerbated by weak bullying management..enjoyed the outdoor part but as mentioned it's four or five hours at a constant pace,which I and many others have done before,but usually a while ago.
Way I see it anyone who can keep the pace for next twenty years good on em,me I'm retraining lol.

Forces.depends on what you're doing.
Landscaping,planting shrubs and trees but worked at an okay pace.
Roads...held a spanner and used a hiab,put cones out.not too bad.
Binman..less walking and a break between bins.
Postie.. Lasted three years then got ihr due to feet being gubbed and latent mental health issues exacerbated by weak bullying management..enjoyed the outdoor part but as mentioned it's four or five hours at a constant pace,which I and many others have done before,but usually a while ago.
Way I see it anyone who can keep the pace for next twenty years good on em,me I'm retraining lol.
I won
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?
Totally disagree... I've done landscaping, drystone walling, etc in the past, definitely not as tiring as working on delivery, as others have said nowhere near as intense and pressured.Dozen wrote:Landscaping is absolutely brutal, definitely worse than being a postie imo.
I've barrowed 15 tonnes of stone in one day before now and not had the aches and pains from one day on delivery.
-
fly-catchers
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 573
- Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?
I am more knackered now than in the last 26 years of being a postie. And what makes it worse is the constant grumbling from the management that I am slower than the 20 year younger guy who was on my round while I was on holiday! And each time I get back find they have added "just a few more calls" onto my round. So you get tired from the physical work but also from the stress. And I never used to stress at work!! 
-
Cyborg
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 01 Nov 2013, 11:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?
Did hard landscaping for 25 years and imo it's harder than being a postie.
Never had the energy or time to go to gym after, but now that I'm a postie I have plenty of time and energy for the gym
Never had the energy or time to go to gym after, but now that I'm a postie I have plenty of time and energy for the gym
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?
Its an interesting subject and one I asked back in 2009 when my job was not trolley based. Here is the link from 6 years ago.
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... lit=harder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... lit=harder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?
I don't have a problem, since the revision I've learned to chill and not take things too personally........that and being fitter than ever certainly helps.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
osgoody1970
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 360
- Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 13:44
- Gender: Male
Re: Are there many jobs more tiring?
cyborg can go to the gym,after a delivery???ffs who else can do that?? must be an easy duty!!!