Hi.
Just wondering you're opinion on this is really and could i possibly be dismissed.
I've been suffering from a bad back injury of late but I've still been coming into work.
Before i was due to go out on my walk yesterday i told my manager how i was really struggling with my back and that i might not be able to do the walk. The manager said i had to go out and do some of the walk and just do whatever i could.
So i begrudgingly went out on my walk.
However my back got worse while we were out there. We also had a problem with our van. So my partner tried to ring the manager to tell him about the van situation but the manager didn't answer his phone. I was going to tell the manager at the same time that i wont be able to do the walk.
However unfortunately he didn't answer the phone and i was in such pain i went home.
Ive now come in the next day and had to have a fact finding interview and be threatened with possible conduct. Mainly due to them not receiving the phone call.
I just wonder what you think may happen.
Like i said i told the manager several times about my situation before going out and he said just do whatever you can do, so he knew i may not be able to complete. He also knows I've got a doctors appointment in a few days.
Tbh I really thought i would be covered as i told the manager before going out.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Possible dismissal?
-
miles_peters
- Posts: 297
- Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Possible dismissal?
phone record
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Possible dismissal?
they are trying to scare you.
If in the Union make sure they are involved.
But in the meantime write everything down in a statement whilst its fresh in your mind. Be as accurate as possible with times and locations, and include as fully as possible what you said and what they said. Also list all witnesses you can remember.
This won't form part of your defence, but it will give you something to refer back to if they drag it out.
If in the Union make sure they are involved.
But in the meantime write everything down in a statement whilst its fresh in your mind. Be as accurate as possible with times and locations, and include as fully as possible what you said and what they said. Also list all witnesses you can remember.
This won't form part of your defence, but it will give you something to refer back to if they drag it out.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
piranha
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 496
- Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 09:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Possible dismissal?
Managers don't like to admit it but they actually have a duty of care and are responsible for your welfare at work. If your back was that bad you really should have just gone straight home before going out on delivery, but a manger would never agree to this because the cretin wants an easy life. I wouldn't worry, just take the very good advice already given to you. If you're not in the union sign up now!
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: Possible dismissal?
Managers only care about today not long term. You should see a Doctor and get some time off for your back injury. Your back is more important than your manager's happiness.
-
Leebest112
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 27 Jan 2015, 16:23
- Gender: Male
Re: Possible dismissal?
K yes I'm the union. Unfortunately though the union rep agreed with the managers so hopefully he will still back me up.
I must say this happened two days in a row. Both times i was pressured to go out and both times i told the manager before i went out that i wouldn't complete.
I just thought i would be covered as i told him the situation before i went out, bit like we do when cutting i suppose.
Is a dismissal possible? Or maybe a warning more likely?
Wish i just went sick now thought i was doing them a favour trying to come in, doing some sorting etc.
I must say this happened two days in a row. Both times i was pressured to go out and both times i told the manager before i went out that i wouldn't complete.
I just thought i would be covered as i told him the situation before i went out, bit like we do when cutting i suppose.
Is a dismissal possible? Or maybe a warning more likely?
Wish i just went sick now thought i was doing them a favour trying to come in, doing some sorting etc.
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Possible dismissal?
You can show the calls made on your phone I assume, so you can prove you tried to ring the manager.
In future if you feel you can't work then don't go in at all. As you've found out, if you go in to work they'll expect you to work.
In future if you feel you can't work then don't go in at all. As you've found out, if you go in to work they'll expect you to work.