ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Too tired on days/evenings off
-
sophie97
- Posts: 169
- Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 15:10
- Gender: Female
Too tired on days/evenings off
Does anyone else feel like there legs are too tired to do anything after a days/weeks work?
I want to go on walks, bike rides with my family, but my legs are just spent after 4-5 hour walks at work.
Work is really starting to effect my personal life
I want to go on walks, bike rides with my family, but my legs are just spent after 4-5 hour walks at work.
Work is really starting to effect my personal life
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Too tired on days/evenings off
Obvious question, but are you using the trolley?
I know people don't want to hear it but it takes the weight off your feet, means you aren't carrying unnecessary weight up and down paths, and your body will thank you for it.
If you are, well done, next look at your shoes, if they're royal mail issue, they're not ideal for walking, look at buying your own made for walking, also get a doctors note you can claim the £30 allowance twice a year.
Other than that, take your breaks, don't rush, eat and keep hydrated.
I know people don't want to hear it but it takes the weight off your feet, means you aren't carrying unnecessary weight up and down paths, and your body will thank you for it.
If you are, well done, next look at your shoes, if they're royal mail issue, they're not ideal for walking, look at buying your own made for walking, also get a doctors note you can claim the £30 allowance twice a year.
Other than that, take your breaks, don't rush, eat and keep hydrated.
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Too tired on days/evenings off
I've read a couple of comments in BBC articles by some doctor who said that there's no such thing as too much walking, so we must all be a bunch of moaning ninnies. What would we know eh, it's not as if we need to pop pills on a daily basis to deal with all the aches, pains and fatigue 
-
Dozen
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 21 Mar 2013, 18:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Too tired on days/evenings off
The Empire State Building has 102 floors.
Now imagine, if you were to walk up the entire staircase of the empire state building. Carrying a bag loaded with parcels, and then back down again. Just in case this wasn't enough to knacker the average person, you then proceed to spend another 2 hours (at the least) walking and pushing/pulling a loaded trolley.
This is the equivalent of what many of us do EVERY DAY, week in week out. The walk i've been doing recently has more or less exactly this; walking up and down 106 floors of staircases, and then at least 2 hours worth of delivery to terraced houses. Not all walks are like this though, in fact many are even worse!
Now imagine, if you were to walk up the entire staircase of the empire state building. Carrying a bag loaded with parcels, and then back down again. Just in case this wasn't enough to knacker the average person, you then proceed to spend another 2 hours (at the least) walking and pushing/pulling a loaded trolley.
This is the equivalent of what many of us do EVERY DAY, week in week out. The walk i've been doing recently has more or less exactly this; walking up and down 106 floors of staircases, and then at least 2 hours worth of delivery to terraced houses. Not all walks are like this though, in fact many are even worse!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Gold Fox
- Posts: 313
- Joined: 06 Jun 2014, 20:50
- Gender: Female
Re: Too tired on days/evenings off
Tell Royal Mail to bring back some kind of bicycles...
-
comeracing
- Posts: 806
- Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Too tired on days/evenings off
when i get home my son asks me to play football take him fishing etc ,my daughter asks me to play games my response is later ,because im so knackered from a 5 1/2 delivery and a most often minimum 9 hour day.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Too tired on days/evenings off
I'm the same. I have endless arguments with missus because I finish work Sat and do my chores Sat afternoon (by the time I've done them I've been on my feet 12 solid hours) to leave Sunday as a recovery day. I am 'lazy' as a result because she takes the kids out while I sit around on Sunday. She works an office so has no idea what it feels like. I keep missing Sat evenings out because I simply have no energy left and would go to sleep after 2 pints. I have arthritis in left knee and possibly right now too as occasional sharp pain behind kneecap when walking up steps. My feet ache with the new YDS trainers I wear. I take 2 ibuprofen and 2 paracetamol after the first loop every day. This week I was on the walk nobody wants to cover due to very steep drives and up to 40 steps to some houses. I had to take 2 x 30 mg Codeine (I have some left prescribed in January when I was first diagnosed with arthritis in left knee and signed off and it was waking me up when trying to straighten it in my sleep, with excruciating pain) each day after the first loop.sophie97 wrote:Does anyone else feel like there legs are too tired to do anything after a days/weeks work?
I want to go on walks, bike rides with my family, but my legs are just spent after 4-5 hour walks at work.
Work is really starting to effect my personal life
These are opiates and if you watched that 'Tonight' documentary people have lost careers getting addicted to them, buying the 12.5mg ones over the counter at pharmacies and taking 5 or 6 at once to get same dose. Luckily I took them before sleep so they had worn off before waking so I had no concept of any 'rush' therefore danger of addiction. Now I am taking them in daytime to get through and DO feel the rush. I only the take the 2 each day during the walk but am worried about addiction. In a roundabout way I am saying that like the poster above I am relying EVERY day bar the odd light Tuesday on some kind of painkiller to get me through. So yes, I can empathise with the OP about the negative effects on your physical wellbeing and therefore personal life. I find myself complaining too much, being miserable and others notice it.
When I first had the sick leave after arthritis was diagnosed the DIM mentioned if it reoccurred I'd get stages (already on 1) and probably IH'd. Yes, you get a decent payoff but what future when you're near 50 with knackered legs? What chance of a job earning similar wages in these circumstances? So yes, like the OP I have psychological pressure too which brings you down. Sure, there are good days and by and large the colleagues are a good bunch, even our managers aren't too bad. I don't want to dramatize this thread but we have had 2 postman suicides in our office in 10 years, one young lad before I ever joined RM and one a couple of years back. Who knows what pressure a colleague is really under?
-
bandit1157
- Posts: 246
- Joined: 20 Aug 2009, 00:51
- Gender: Male
- Location: sh1t street
Re: Too tired on days/evenings off
Long term use of ibuprofen isn't recommended be careful
http://www.drugs.com/ibuprofen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.drugs.com/ibuprofen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's life Jim but not as we know it
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Too tired on days/evenings off
Yes, I'll just stick to two paracetamols a day instead, as the same site has no reports of ill effects for healthy men sticking to 2 a day only. ibuprofen does seem far more harmful. My codeines are cut with paracetamol so if necessary Ill just use those.bandit1157 wrote:Long term use of ibuprofen isn't recommended be careful
http://www.drugs.com/ibuprofen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
trevjim
- Posts: 170
- Joined: 05 Dec 2012, 20:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Too tired on days/evenings off
They are all really bad for your kidneysbustedflush wrote:Yes, I'll just stick to two paracetamols a day instead, as the same site has no reports of ill effects for healthy men sticking to 2 a day only. ibuprofen does seem far more harmful. My codeines are cut with paracetamol so if necessary Ill just use those.bandit1157 wrote:Long term use of ibuprofen isn't recommended be careful
http://www.drugs.com/ibuprofen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
Supermac0151
- Posts: 72
- Joined: 11 Apr 2015, 08:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Too tired on days/evenings off
I started for Royal Mail 5 weeks ago and after pounding the streets over 4 hours a day I've lost a stone in weight...that's the positive but like you say it doesn't half take its toll on your stamina levels! Sleep like a baby now anyone else have good weight loss??
-
Andy51
- Posts: 91
- Joined: 08 Jan 2013, 15:45
- Gender: Male
Re: Too tired on days/evenings off
Thought it was just me nodding off by 9·30Sat night completely shattered come Sunday afternoon anything needs doing got to be done in the Sunday morning does moyra feel the same?
-
delfranklin1969
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Too tired on days/evenings off
Yep exhausted nearly all the time - been on 6 days weeks lately and really feel it, end up sleeping loads over the weekend and just when my batteries have recharged do it all over again! Still two more working weeks to go then off for two weeks cannot wait!
-
Gold Fox
- Posts: 313
- Joined: 06 Jun 2014, 20:50
- Gender: Female
Re: Too tired on days/evenings off
No such problems when we had Bicycle ....
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Too tired on days/evenings off
Eleven hours sleep some nights. 