ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

collections drivers

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
bobcat1
Posts: 2
Joined: 18 Jul 2015, 00:56
Gender: Female

collections drivers

Post by bobcat1 »

just a quick question..
any collections drivers had repeated problems with any of their post offices not having mail ready for collection at their due collection time?
if so, has reporting this to a manager made any difference?

how would you deal with a post office being consistently late for their collection?

cheers
Ossie From Preston
Posts: 148
Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 18:42
Gender: Male

Re: collections drivers

Post by Ossie From Preston »

I had a problem with that once I took what they had ready and then made them take the rest to the office where you off load or the mail centre, after a few days they changed their tune and was ready.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: collections drivers

Post by arnold cheshire »

bobcat1 wrote:just a quick question..
any collections drivers had repeated problems with any of their post offices not having mail ready for collection at their due collection time?
if so, has reporting this to a manager made any difference?

how would you deal with a post office being consistently late for their collection?

cheers
it used to happen to me all the time so i gave up collections
trythat
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 720
Joined: 23 Jun 2007, 16:36

Re: collections drivers

Post by trythat »

We instructed our collection opg to leave on time and the DOM would sort out any fall out, mainly by getting area collection manager to talk to offices that were not ready, also opg from having to go and help bag up etc from behind the counter.
bobcat1
Posts: 2
Joined: 18 Jul 2015, 00:56
Gender: Female

Re: collections drivers

Post by bobcat1 »

so when your opg left due to the mail not being ready the manager would take it up with the postmaster?

anyone ever been disciplined for leaving a post office without mail because it hasnt been ready at the collection time?
trythat
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 720
Joined: 23 Jun 2007, 16:36

Re: collections drivers

Post by trythat »

bobcat1 wrote:so when your opg left due to the mail not being ready the manager would take it up with the postmaster?

anyone ever been disciplined for leaving a post office without mail because it hasnt been ready at the collection time?
Yes that's what happened and that was a crown office as well. As the rep I was being told opg was taking to long to do collection, when I found out that they were having to go behind counter to get stuff and bag it up, went to DOM and said he would have to contact post office manager and explain what our opg were supposed to do when doing collections. The post office manager was not happy, but they did make sure stuff was ready. We've also been out to smaller offices as well when opg have had problem accessing mail to be collected etc.

TBH when I keep hearing that opg have to do this that or the other, then I expect everyone else in the chain to act the same and expect the DOM to do his bit, that is why I always insisted on SI meetings etc, the area collections manager couldn't disagree with us either.
Pompey Boy
Posts: 428
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
Gender: Male

Re: collections drivers

Post by Pompey Boy »

We have always been told that after waiting for 5 minutes if they still ignore you you can leave without taking any post. One way of highlighting the problem to your Guvnor is to zap the post box first (there is usually one outside a post office), take your time emptying it and then clear the post office. DO NOT zap the post office bar code until you have collected all of the bags etc. When you get back to the office ask your Guvnor to show you the ABC figures and point out the time difference between zapping the box and the PO.
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
sussexlad
Posts: 161
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
Gender: Male

Re: collections drivers

Post by sussexlad »

I would give them the 10 minute window after their collection time, so if their collection time is 15:00 I would walk out at ten past if I still had not been served. Having said that one day I was blatantly ignored while the counter staff kept serving customers with fags and groceries that I walked out after about 2 minutes. As it was their final collection that day I PMSL when one of the counter staff turned up at the delivery office with everything stuffed into the boot of her car!!