ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Procedure for customers who are unable to sign?
-
JP1
- Posts: 77
- Joined: 23 Aug 2011, 23:49
- Gender: Male
Procedure for customers who are unable to sign?
I work in an area with a fair amount of Jewish people. When I have a signed for item most of them are happy to sign for it (though I know not everyone in a house with a mezuzah on the door is lived in by Jewish people - my old house had one).
However, in my few years I've a postman I've had a handful of people say they can't sign for the item because it's the sabbath day. One happened today.
Is there an official way to deal with this? I'm not meant to fill out a P739 and tell them to go and get it on monday am I?
Same goes for other people who can't sign. Older people who are frail for example.
However, in my few years I've a postman I've had a handful of people say they can't sign for the item because it's the sabbath day. One happened today.
Is there an official way to deal with this? I'm not meant to fill out a P739 and tell them to go and get it on monday am I?
Same goes for other people who can't sign. Older people who are frail for example.
-
richystran
- Posts: 72
- Joined: 20 May 2010, 02:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Procedure for customers who are unable to sign?
Not delivered - Refused.JP1 wrote:I work in an area with a fair amount of Jewish people. When I have a signed for item most of them are happy to sign for it (though I know not everyone in a house with a mezuzah on the door is lived in by Jewish people - my old house had one).
However, in my few years I've a postman I've had a handful of people say they can't sign for the item because it's the sabbath day. One happened today.
Is there an official way to deal with this? I'm not meant to fill out a P739 and tell them to go and get it on monday am I?
Same goes for other people who can't sign. Older people who are frail for example.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Procedure for customers who are unable to sign?
As I understand it Devout Jews shouldn't even accept a parcel on the Sabbath unless its not a commercial one, so yes be guided by them. Form leave it if they prefer, or can a neighbour be nominated just for the Sabbath and High days.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32794
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Procedure for customers who are unable to sign?
Isn't there an acronym you can put in the PDA/on the card that means couldn't sign ect, especially for the blind,I've forgotten what it is.Older people who are frail for example.
EDIT:Found it:
I read some where, I think the PDA handbook, you can DNS (did not sign for) on the PDA if the person has not the ability to sign for it. Could someone confirm if this is right.
Yes ... I do it for my blind customers ... scribble DNS on PDA with my sig underneath ...
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Procedure for customers who are unable to sign?
CNS or DNS and reason - eg Blind
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Procedure for customers who are unable to sign?
The PDA manual says to write DWS (Delivered without signature).
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=52224" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (page 22 of the booklet)
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=52224" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (page 22 of the booklet)
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Procedure for customers who are unable to sign?
Old/blind people who are unable to sign then I'd do it for them. If people refuse on religious grounds then I'd take it back as refused. It needs a signature, they don't want to sign then they don't get it.
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Re: Procedure for customers who are unable to sign?
That is a little bit intolerant and unnecessary.OnAFlyer wrote:Old/blind people who are unable to sign then I'd do it for them. If people refuse on religious grounds then I'd take it back as refused. It needs a signature, they don't want to sign then they don't get it.
If they don't want to sign and you don't want to sign for them, then what is the harm in issuing a 739 and letting them collect on a day other than their Sabbath?
I wonder what the official line is because your attitude may be tantamount to discrimination.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Procedure for customers who are unable to sign?
I have a woman on my round who wears a burka and refuses to answer the door and to come back when her husband is home. She gets a 739 every time
-
smelly_cat_lady
- Posts: 341
- Joined: 22 Nov 2009, 15:08
- Gender: Female
- Location: On the delivery office floor looking up shorts
Re: Procedure for customers who are unable to sign?
Ask the customer "Would you like me to sign for it?" If the answer is yes then do the usual and sign in the box MAR - marked as received, Job done.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Procedure for customers who are unable to sign?
Technically that's for when the customer puts an X or other mark in the box.smelly_cat_lady wrote:Ask the customer "Would you like me to sign for it?" If the answer is yes then do the usual and sign in the box MAR - marked as received, Job done.
The whole Recorded Delivery concept is farcical and outdated now anyway. Customers would much rather a 24/48 tracked service with proof of delivery, even going as far as DPD's method of photographing the door (would still take less time than waiting for a signature).
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Procedure for customers who are unable to sign?
Not at all, it's exactly the same as I'd do for anyone that refuses to sign for something.motherhubbard wrote:That is a little bit intolerant and unnecessary.OnAFlyer wrote:Old/blind people who are unable to sign then I'd do it for them. If people refuse on religious grounds then I'd take it back as refused. It needs a signature, they don't want to sign then they don't get it.
If they don't want to sign and you don't want to sign for them, then what is the harm in issuing a 739 and letting them collect on a day other than their Sabbath?
I wonder what the official line is because your attitude may be tantamount to discrimination.
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Procedure for customers who are unable to sign?
So what if the customer then claimed they never received it, what happens?smelly_cat_lady wrote:Ask the customer "Would you like me to sign for it?" If the answer is yes then do the usual and sign in the box MAR - marked as received, Job done.
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Re: Procedure for customers who are unable to sign?
Why not just treat it as a Saturday shut?OnAFlyer wrote: Not at all, it's exactly the same as I'd do for anyone that refuses to sign for something.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Procedure for customers who are unable to sign?
but if it,s a Thursday what would your excuse be if someone complainsmotherhubbard wrote:Why not just treat it as a Saturday shut?OnAFlyer wrote: Not at all, it's exactly the same as I'd do for anyone that refuses to sign for something.