ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Mindset for a long busy day.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sophie97
Posts: 169
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 15:10
Gender: Female

Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by sophie97 »

Basicly I've agreed to do some regular overtime until the end of the month,around 3 hours extra a day plus my day off, I'm happy to do it because I really need the money, especially on my part time contract.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get a good mindset to get through the long days/week? Obviously the paycheck is one, im a hard worker, but I just can't motivate myself for the overtime but I need it lol
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by rubberbond »

Pay check? Are we in America now? Anyway,you seem to have answered your own question,it's all about the money.
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by spiderj »

Thumb up bum mind in neutral.

Switch off thinking about the whole shift and break it down into bite size chunk.

Street by street,door by door.

Obviously stay safe but also enjoy it,take all your breaks and don't rush.

Good luck
:nana
I won
sophie97
Posts: 169
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 15:10
Gender: Female

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by sophie97 »

Thanks! I will do my best!
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3220
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by Acca Dacca »

Think of aw the extra pizza and beer ye will be able to neck.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by meercat »

sophie97 wrote:Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get a good mindset to get through the long days/week? Obviously the paycheck is one, im a hard worker, but I just can't motivate myself for the overtime but I need it lol
Get plenty of sleep and you should be fine. Listen to some music and have a cup of tea or some high coco dark chocolate for the caffine if you can't stop.
delfranklin1969
Posts: 83
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by delfranklin1969 »

Don't burn yourself out by rushing too much, pace yourself and try and get plenty of sleep! And put yer feet up on Sunday!
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by baldrick »

Enjoy being out in the sunshine. :Very Happy
(But remember to use sunscreen and hat, and drink plenty of water).
halfull
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 858
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by halfull »

tax man will love you 30% more than he does now because thats how much he will take from every penny overtime you do! :Very Happy
Dozen
Posts: 101
Joined: 21 Mar 2013, 18:56
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by Dozen »

Get some good music on your phone. Put the earbuds in and just crack on. I find having music in my headphones makes the time go by much quicker. If I get a van to myself, i'll drive around first getting rid of all the bigger packets. Then i'm left with just the bundles, that way ain't gotta stop every 3 minutes to faff about knocking on doors and getting signatures for the rest of the day :nana
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by motherhubbard »

Cider.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Don't look at your watch, and ignore the time. As soon as I start clock watching everything starts to drag.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by OnAFlyer »

Dozen wrote:Get some good music on your phone. Put the earbuds in and just crack on. I find having music in my headphones makes the time go by much quicker. If I get a van to myself, i'll drive around first getting rid of all the bigger packets. Then i'm left with just the bundles, that way ain't gotta stop every 3 minutes to faff about knocking on doors and getting signatures for the rest of the day :nana
That must take forever, you're driving to all the houses you'd be going to with mail anyway!
sophie97
Posts: 169
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 15:10
Gender: Female

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by sophie97 »

Thanks everyone, I'm actually looking forward to it in a strange way, just hope my body can keep up
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by Creditshampoo »

I take lots of water and a couple packed lunches with me. I normally start my duty around 7am finish time is normally around 3pm. Offered everyday for overtime, normally work until 4/5 book a hour on top of whatever I do.
Make sure you have your normal break plus extra break as fully entitled to a longer paid break with overtime!