ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

re: What makes a Good Line Manager??

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

re: What makes a Good Line Manager??

Post by postslippete »

A contradiction in terms?? Our line manager has been in the business a good few years, he's what you would call "old school". He probably doesn't like this new young breed of management arriving straight from college because he started his career as a humble postie for a good few years first (and has got the bite wounds to prove it). He understands how vital his staff are in keeping HIS section but his hand is being turned by the younger DOM figure above him who is more concerned with saving hours and talks about outputs, throughputs, workflow plans in daily meetings etc etc etc

And with this he has to show that he is adaptable and open to a new way of looking at things. Communicating that message to HIS staff in the section would always pose problems. Management was never meant to be that easy. So I am asking what makes a good lino??

Is it one that:


1. Always has Work, Time Learning sessions every week or is it one that conveniently forgets because he knows most staff would rather be somewhere else?
Answer: conveniently forgets

2. Accepts your decision when you tell them that you don't have time to lapse or does he make it awkward and difficult for you so that you end up taking the lapse?
Answer: sometimes I do get a little bit of a hard time when it comes to getting the lapse taken off.

3. Listens to you when you really don't wish to work with someone on a delivery or insist that you have to work with them because he has no other person/ cover to do the duty?
Answer: can't get the duty covered, you will have to work with that person

4. Thanks you for coming in to work your day off/short notice or just be relieved that the duty is covered for the day?
Answer: a bit of both

5. Often has daily huddles or one that doesn't see the point of daily huddles?
Answer: never had one!

6. Makes you feel on edge when there's a customer complaint about you or one that backs you up by discussing it with you in an open way?
Answer: he's so laid back it never feels that significant. The complainant complained and what's done is done

7. Always gives the others OVERTIME and doesn't even bother asking anyone else!
Answer: That is always the case...he can always rely on one or two 'brown-nosers' who will do anything for that overtime

8. Appears to have favourites with some staff, perhaps talking with them for most of the morning, and ignoring everybody else
Answer: Yes, they seem to know everything that is going on in the business
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Bishbashbbosh
Posts: 80
Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 18:06
Gender: Male

Re: re: What makes a Good Line Manager??

Post by Bishbashbbosh »

By the time you wrote all that, the question no longer makes sense
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: re: What makes a Good Line Manager??

Post by arnold cheshire »

old school managers have long gone now
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: re: What makes a Good Line Manager??

Post by Judgee »

Question: What makes a good line manager?

Answer: Lobotomy :thumbup
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
knackeredneedadayoff
Posts: 342
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 18:19
Gender: Male

Re: re: What makes a Good Line Manager??

Post by knackeredneedadayoff »

A soul helps
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: re: What makes a Good Line Manager??

Post by Chelseablue »

One that makes the 90 percent tracked !,,,'' bonusssssssssssss
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: re: What makes a Good Line Manager??

Post by Jpro747 »

One who is polite and has people skills, doesn't cheat the system, always listens to staff concerns, treats everyone the same, works their full shift, deals with problems appropriately without using bully tactics.

In return the manager should expect a hard working motivated team who want to come in and do a good day's graft.

Unfortunately it appears rm still haven't heard of this management style :arrrghhh
postmandick
Posts: 76
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 19:35
Gender: Male

Re: re: What makes a Good Line Manager??

Post by postmandick »

I once stuffed my van into a barbed wire stock fence avoiding a rabbit :crazy:

I 'owned up' to my old school manager' who called me a pillock :roll:

but said "this is what we will do/say for insurance" and it went down as a farm dog dashing out which I had to avoid :Boo hoo!

A little bit creative but no harm done and a lot less stress all round .

a good manager is one that is pragmatic ! :dance will bollock you yes but also support you ....

a bit thin on the ground these days
GT750rider
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 216
Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
Gender: Male

Re: re: What makes a Good Line Manager??

Post by GT750rider »

postmandick wrote:I once stuffed my van into a barbed wire stock fence avoiding a rabbit :crazy:

I 'owned up' to my old school manager' who called me a pillock :roll:

but said "this is what we will do/say for insurance" and it went down as a farm dog dashing out which I had to avoid :Boo hoo!

A little bit creative but no harm done and a lot less stress all round .

a good manager is one that is pragmatic ! :dance will bollock you yes but also support you ....

a bit thin on the ground these days
Reminds me of when I started many years ago, I did several misdemeanors over an 18 month period. Each one was dealt with by an old-school manger who gave me a severe boll***ing, but nothing went on my record. Today, I would have been out the door on the first offence, probably.
Bishbashbbosh
Posts: 80
Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 18:06
Gender: Male

Re: re: What makes a Good Line Manager??

Post by Bishbashbbosh »

I think it depends on the overall faith in the member of staff. If your a good employee, managers will go out of their way to help you. That's why you should try and be a generally helpful employee. Because one day, when you find yourself in trouble, it will pay off
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: re: What makes a Good Line Manager??

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Honesty helps as well, if you cock up be upfront about it. I was about this forum and I am still here.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: re: What makes a Good Line Manager??

Post by 5plusbonusball »

why have them at all when there is a dom and undermanager :arrrghhh
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
Burghboy
Posts: 224
Joined: 21 Oct 2013, 09:19
Gender: Male

Re: re: What makes a Good Line Manager??

Post by Burghboy »

Bishbashbbosh wrote:I think it depends on the overall faith in the member of staff. If your a good employee, managers will go out of their way to help you. That's why you should try and be a generally helpful employee. Because one day, when you find yourself in trouble, it will pay off
Jackpot! Make yourself an asset then the manager will put their neck on the line for you, be the tool who moans about doing their job and goes out their way to get away with not putting a shift in and the gaffers see thru you!
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: re: What makes a Good Line Manager??

Post by arnold cheshire »

old school 1990s
bandit1157
Posts: 246
Joined: 20 Aug 2009, 00:51
Gender: Male
Location: sh1t street

Re: re: What makes a Good Line Manager??

Post by bandit1157 »

Burghboy wrote:
Bishbashbbosh wrote:I think it depends on the overall faith in the member of staff. If your a good employee, managers will go out of their way to help you. That's why you should try and be a generally helpful employee. Because one day, when you find yourself in trouble, it will pay off
Jackpot! Make yourself an asset then the manager will put their neck on the line for you, be the tool who moans about doing their job and goes out their way to get away with not putting a shift in and the gaffers see thru you!
Both of the above quotes, IF ONLY!
I had 5 years of total warfare with a previous manager because I wouldn't put up with his bullsh1t, ie prepare D/D's at home in my own time. Finish throwing a walk in on 24hrs a week so I was out an hour after everyone else but expected to finish at the same time. Not paying money owed for months. Trying to move my start time to one to one and a half hours after everyone else had left the office, to allow time for my walk to be made ready, by who ?
Just a few examples which were all slapped by the area rep. After each slap everything was ok for about a week then he would think of some new and interesting way to shaft me.
I expect to have to earn my money, no problem whatsoever with that but you can only fit a pint in a pint glass. I will not be bullied into doing the impossible to make them look good.
I treat people how I would like to be treated, even now I'm willing to give people benefit of the doubt but Royal Mail management in my experience see goodwill as weakness and something to be exploited. As I refuse to be exploited apparently I have a problem :crazy:
It's life Jim but not as we know it