ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
IHR Offer
-
Wuku
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 15 Feb 2012, 20:25
- Gender: Male
IHR Offer
I may be offered IHR soon, and have a few questions, if anyone can help please.
I'm in my mid 40's and have over 25 years service.
How much am I likely to get?
Is the money taxed?
What happens to my shares?
How does being retired on ill health affect my future employment chances?
What happens with my pension?
Are there any things I should be aware of, like Royal Mail trying to stitch me up?
Thanks for any help
I'm in my mid 40's and have over 25 years service.
How much am I likely to get?
Is the money taxed?
What happens to my shares?
How does being retired on ill health affect my future employment chances?
What happens with my pension?
Are there any things I should be aware of, like Royal Mail trying to stitch me up?
Thanks for any help
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6694
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: IHR Offer
34 weeks pay plus 12 weeks PILON.Wuku wrote:I may be offered IHR soon, and have a few questions, if anyone can help please.
I'm in my mid 40's and have over 25 years service.
How much am I likely to get?
The PILON is, the rest isn’t.Is the money taxed?
You will be given the choice of keeping them or selling them, you won’t lose them!What happens to my shares?
That would depend on your medical conditions and the attitude of any potential new employers, but there’s nothing stopping you from walking straight into another job, if you can get one.How does being retired on ill health affect my future employment chances?
It will be deferred.What happens with my pension?
They wouldn’t do that!Are there any things I should be aware of, like Royal Mail trying to stitch me up?
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: IHR Offer
My pilon was untaxed.
Future employment you can work the next day if you want.
Do you think the current ihr package will exist forever?
I took ihr recently,best decision I made.

Future employment you can work the next day if you want.
Do you think the current ihr package will exist forever?
I took ihr recently,best decision I made.
I won
-
bogstandard
- Posts: 1074
- Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16
Re: IHR Offer
you should always worry about RM tucking you up
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
-
Wuku
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 15 Feb 2012, 20:25
- Gender: Male
Re: IHR Offer
Thanks for the replies!
Spiderj, if you don't mind me asking, what did you come away with in pocket? Did you sell your shares?
I feel like you I think, just about had enough now...
In relation to future employment, what I meant was does the information about your Ihr get passed on to a potential employer, or is it private?
Spiderj, if you don't mind me asking, what did you come away with in pocket? Did you sell your shares?
I feel like you I think, just about had enough now...
In relation to future employment, what I meant was does the information about your Ihr get passed on to a potential employer, or is it private?
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: IHR Offer
I was part time,25 hour contract.
Got the specified lump sum amount and all my shares which I was lucky to get a decent amount for.
633 at the rate on day of sale,untaxed with just the commission off which was about 25\30 quid.
As far as future employment goes RM will give you a reference,if it mentions your retirement reasons without your consent that's a no no.
Read up on it via union and between the lines in here and judge for yourself whether it will work for you.
Also get all offers in writing as they can be slippery beggars.
Got the specified lump sum amount and all my shares which I was lucky to get a decent amount for.
633 at the rate on day of sale,untaxed with just the commission off which was about 25\30 quid.
As far as future employment goes RM will give you a reference,if it mentions your retirement reasons without your consent that's a no no.
Read up on it via union and between the lines in here and judge for yourself whether it will work for you.
Also get all offers in writing as they can be slippery beggars.
I won
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: IHR Offer
Two types of ihr
With or without lump sum
Defers or immediately pension.
Hope that helps.
With or without lump sum
Defers or immediately pension.
Hope that helps.
I won
-
Bishbashbbosh
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 18:06
- Gender: Male
Re: IHR Offer
You won't get taxed on you PILON at this stage of the year because it is based on your yearly income, so unless you walk into another job, your pay won't be enough to incur tax
-
Wuku
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 15 Feb 2012, 20:25
- Gender: Male
Re: IHR Offer
Thanks, it all helps!
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6694
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: IHR Offer
If that was the case nobody would pay any tax until they’ve earned enough to reach the personal tax allowance.Bishbashbbosh wrote:You won't get taxed on you PILON at this stage of the year because it is based on your yearly income, so unless you walk into another job, your pay won't be enough to incur tax
In practice you probably will get taxed on the PILON but if your income for the whole tax year is below the PTA you should automatically get a refund.
Or you can claim a refund via a P50 form: https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund/overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
Bishbashbbosh
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 18:06
- Gender: Male
Re: IHR Offer
Ok, you might get taxed, but if you don't get another job, you will get it back. Same difference
-
Wuku
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 15 Feb 2012, 20:25
- Gender: Male
Re: IHR Offer
I won't be walking into a new job straight away, not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'm pretty sure I want out though...
-
Bishbashbbosh
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 18:06
- Gender: Male
Re: IHR Offer
Well, if you're haviñg an IHR referral, and it comes back positive for IHR, you may not get the decision after that, so make sure you know what you want before you get the referralWuku wrote:I won't be walking into a new job straight away, not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'm pretty sure I want out though...
-
Wuku
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 15 Feb 2012, 20:25
- Gender: Male
Re: IHR Offer
I've been through the regular OH phone calls, and seen the OH doctor now. I know they have asked about IHR, because the doc told me. As for any decision, don't RM have to make reasonable effort to find me work somewhere in the office, if I should decline IHR. I thought that was my choice...
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: IHR Offer
don,t think you have a choice unless you are covered under equality act [maybe wrong] but if there is no suitable duties available then ihr it is.Wuku wrote:I've been through the regular OH phone calls, and seen the OH doctor now. I know they have asked about IHR, because the doc told me. As for any decision, don't RM have to make reasonable effort to find me work somewhere in the office, if I should decline IHR. I thought that was my choice...