ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Probably been asked before
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Probably been asked before
But I can't remember the answer.
We had tied up today and it was obvious we couldn't finish on time if we took the lapsing as packetaggedon so lino informed and he wasn't happy as said we should have told him before we tied up so we left the lapsing?
He told us when we returned to the office we would be kept in to our time if we finished early, question is can he insist we do that if we haven't had a break ie make us have our MR at the end of a shift?
1) I know people argue we should always have a break etc etc but personally I find stopping for 20 minutes siezes the legs up and it's a slog after it.
2) It turned out the threat was incidental anyway as by the time we left the office, it was bang on the end of the shift and that was without my 20 minute break.
We had tied up today and it was obvious we couldn't finish on time if we took the lapsing as packetaggedon so lino informed and he wasn't happy as said we should have told him before we tied up so we left the lapsing?
He told us when we returned to the office we would be kept in to our time if we finished early, question is can he insist we do that if we haven't had a break ie make us have our MR at the end of a shift?
1) I know people argue we should always have a break etc etc but personally I find stopping for 20 minutes siezes the legs up and it's a slog after it.
2) It turned out the threat was incidental anyway as by the time we left the office, it was bang on the end of the shift and that was without my 20 minute break.
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Probably been asked before
I would say yes he can do that. You are paid by RM to work from your start time to your finish time. It may be annoying to be kept there until your finish time. If he can find you some work to do great, if not pretty boring. I think though he would have to treat everyone the same, even the people who took their lapsing, or he could have a grievance against him. Just my opinion and probably wrong.
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Probably been asked before
That's the part I'm thinking ie letting people who take the lapsing to leave early whilst threatening to keep back those who don't take it? I'm only a part-timer and seems the lino and my ft buddy don't see eye to eye so does seem like he is being victimised if this rule is not across the board?
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Probably been asked before
So whats wrong with that??
If you can't take the lapse because you don't have time to do it then the manager will not expect you back to the office early!!! So if you come back to the office early and clear off home even though you didn't take your lapse like the others - are you not just winding your boss up??
If you can't take the lapse because you don't have time to do it then the manager will not expect you back to the office early!!! So if you come back to the office early and clear off home even though you didn't take your lapse like the others - are you not just winding your boss up??
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Probably been asked before
I'm thinking if we came back 10 minutes before our time (it takes 10 minutes to drive to the lapsing duty) then it doesn't feel right to be told we can't leave the office just because we didnt lapse which would add at least 25 minutes to our day?
Had we done the lapsing we would have had to claim at least 40 mintes, I should make it clear we offered to take the lapsing and I had tied it up, we were told we couldn't claim and if we didn't take it and returned early we would be held to our time.
Had we done the lapsing we would have had to claim at least 40 mintes, I should make it clear we offered to take the lapsing and I had tied it up, we were told we couldn't claim and if we didn't take it and returned early we would be held to our time.
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Probably been asked before
Managers aren't very good at maths I'm afraid. Just agree to do lapsing, do it first and then tell them because of lapsing you will most likely need to cut off, leave plenty time for you to get back to office so you can have you're break. Pretty sure they can't make you have you're meal relief in office.
You keep cutting off every day and I'm pretty sure they'll get fed up before you do.
You keep cutting off every day and I'm pretty sure they'll get fed up before you do.
-
Spedley
- Posts: 1209
- Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
- Location: Warwickshire
Re: Probably been asked before
The breaks are often argued about.
You are supposed to and he can make you take 20 mins before you start delivery (assuming you have done IPS and prep etc).
He can ask you take all 40 mins if needed (i.e. while you wait for someone else to tie-up or for mis-sorts etc). I'm not sure if he can force you to.
You are permitted to take 20 mins at the end of your shift.
Non of your breaks need be taken at the office and can be taken reasonably 'off route' - i.e. local chip shop or your home nearby.
You are supposed to and he can make you take 20 mins before you start delivery (assuming you have done IPS and prep etc).
He can ask you take all 40 mins if needed (i.e. while you wait for someone else to tie-up or for mis-sorts etc). I'm not sure if he can force you to.
You are permitted to take 20 mins at the end of your shift.
Non of your breaks need be taken at the office and can be taken reasonably 'off route' - i.e. local chip shop or your home nearby.
-
enskied
- Posts: 1877
- Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Probably been asked before
Remember that you have 10 mins washing up time as well.. if needed.jimmynailsalive wrote:I'm thinking if we came back 10 minutes before our time (it takes 10 minutes to drive to the lapsing duty) then it doesn't feel right to be told we can't leave the office just because we didnt lapse which would add at least 25 minutes to our day?
Had we done the lapsing we would have had to claim at least 40 mintes, I should make it clear we offered to take the lapsing and I had tied it up, we were told we couldn't claim and if we didn't take it and returned early we would be held to our time.
-
BarnsleyLackey
- Posts: 349
- Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Probably been asked before
It sounds like you're getting wound up over nothing. If you didn't want the 25 mins OT, that's fine, don't lapse. If you're back 10 mins early, then wait and leave on time. What's the problem? You're paid up to a certain time. Work to it. All the sh!t we have to put up with these days, I'm shocked that this is such a sore point. Fvck the runners.jimmynailsalive wrote:I'm thinking if we came back 10 minutes before our time (it takes 10 minutes to drive to the lapsing duty) then it doesn't feel right to be told we can't leave the office just because we didnt lapse which would add at least 25 minutes to our day?
Had we done the lapsing we would have had to claim at least 40 mintes, I should make it clear we offered to take the lapsing and I had tied it up, we were told we couldn't claim and if we didn't take it and returned early we would be held to our time.
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Probably been asked before
It seems 90% of the answers are personal opinion rather than actually confirming facts, no idea what to believe so farBarnsleyLackey wrote:It sounds like you're getting wound up over nothing. If you didn't want the 25 mins OT, that's fine, don't lapse. If you're back 10 mins early, then wait and leave on time. What's the problem? You're paid up to a certain time. Work to it. All the sh!t we have to put up with these days, I'm shocked that this is such a sore point. Fvck the runners.jimmynailsalive wrote:I'm thinking if we came back 10 minutes before our time (it takes 10 minutes to drive to the lapsing duty) then it doesn't feel right to be told we can't leave the office just because we didnt lapse which would add at least 25 minutes to our day?
Had we done the lapsing we would have had to claim at least 40 mintes, I should make it clear we offered to take the lapsing and I had tied it up, we were told we couldn't claim and if we didn't take it and returned early we would be held to our time.
-
BarnsleyLackey
- Posts: 349
- Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Probably been asked before
jimmynailsalive wrote:It seems 90% of the answers are personal opinion rather than actually confirming facts, no idea what to believe so farBarnsleyLackey wrote:It sounds like you're getting wound up over nothing. If you didn't want the 25 mins OT, that's fine, don't lapse. If you're back 10 mins early, then wait and leave on time. What's the problem? You're paid up to a certain time. Work to it. All the sh!t we have to put up with these days, I'm shocked that this is such a sore point. Fvck the runners.jimmynailsalive wrote:I'm thinking if we came back 10 minutes before our time (it takes 10 minutes to drive to the lapsing duty) then it doesn't feel right to be told we can't leave the office just because we didnt lapse which would add at least 25 minutes to our day?
Had we done the lapsing we would have had to claim at least 40 mintes, I should make it clear we offered to take the lapsing and I had tied it up, we were told we couldn't claim and if we didn't take it and returned early we would be held to our time.
It might just be that the managers are willing to turn a blind eye and let the runners go in exchange for doing it. It sounds as though you have a s**t load of lapsing if it'd put you 25 mins over. Let it go. Leave the lapse and sit and swing your legs for 10 mins, in you get back early.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Probably been asked before
These are the facts in our office...
1. If we take the lapse and finish early we can go home
2. If we cannot manage the lapse because we don't have time, then if we arrive back to the office early, we will probably get more work to do so that we work to our time
Reason why is obvious
You're leaving the office early whilst someone else is still out there delivering their lapse. What I can't understand is why you can't claim if you both know that you are going over your time?? Now a manager has to find someone else to deliver your lapse and probably have to pay THEM the full overtime for doing it!!
1. If we take the lapse and finish early we can go home
2. If we cannot manage the lapse because we don't have time, then if we arrive back to the office early, we will probably get more work to do so that we work to our time
Reason why is obvious
You're leaving the office early whilst someone else is still out there delivering their lapse. What I can't understand is why you can't claim if you both know that you are going over your time?? Now a manager has to find someone else to deliver your lapse and probably have to pay THEM the full overtime for doing it!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Probably been asked before
1. Is the manager allowed to keep you to your time: Yes.
2. What even if you haven't had a break. Yes. It can be argued that if you are told (either verbally or Walk log) to take your break at a certain time, then its reasonable for management to assume you have had it already. But if you haven't the manager cannot legally okay you taking a statutory break at the end of your shift - because its against H&S regulations for them to do so.
3. But if I insist I haven't had a break. To be blunt if your shift is 6 hours or over its your responsibility to take a break when the manager tells you. If you decide not to you have VOLUNTARY given that break up and the manager is quite within his rights to insist you work to time.
Currently breaks should comply with the following

There is no option for taking a break at the end of the shift, at least until you have done more than 7 hours
2. What even if you haven't had a break. Yes. It can be argued that if you are told (either verbally or Walk log) to take your break at a certain time, then its reasonable for management to assume you have had it already. But if you haven't the manager cannot legally okay you taking a statutory break at the end of your shift - because its against H&S regulations for them to do so.
3. But if I insist I haven't had a break. To be blunt if your shift is 6 hours or over its your responsibility to take a break when the manager tells you. If you decide not to you have VOLUNTARY given that break up and the manager is quite within his rights to insist you work to time.
Currently breaks should comply with the following
There is no option for taking a break at the end of the shift, at least until you have done more than 7 hours
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.