ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

It's your own fault

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
deristrong
Posts: 195
Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
Gender: Male

It's your own fault

Post by deristrong »

I joined The Post Office / Royal Mail in 1982 and stayed for 18 years, the last 10, of which, were as a manager. I left, did other things, and came back as a postman a couple of years ago. I think this puts me in a good position to say that the postie himself has shot himself in the foot. Early starters, runners, no meal breakers have sealed our fate. Everyone knows this (it's been said to death on this forum) but little , if anything, is done to combat it. Manangement can't be blamed - if you ran a business and some fool was working for nothing would you tell him to stop?
"Summer" lapsing that covers all seaons, trying neighbours, not leaving HCT's for more than 10 minutes and other "initiatives" will continue and only get worse unless someone (CWU?) says enough is enough.
El-Bandito
Posts: 313
Joined: 27 Jan 2009, 14:14
Gender: Male

Re: It's your own fault

Post by El-Bandito »

You would have more respect if! Regarding your post on 28th April. I take my meal relief at the end of my shift. Hypocrisy?, or are you on the wind up? Fishing is my job m8y. :nana
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: It's your own fault

Post by Newbie001 »

Agree that union has to do something. But from my experience a most of the early starting, running or not taking meal breaks is down to either one of two reasons. These being pressure and bullying from managers, being allowed to go home early by managers. Managers blameless !!!!!! Managers do nothing but encourage it.
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: It's your own fault

Post by Hitcher »

The union has been saying for years now to do the job properly but next to no-one listens! :arrrghhh
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: It's your own fault

Post by Newbie001 »

Hitcher wrote:The union has been saying for years now to do the job properly but next to no-one listens! :arrrghhh
Keep hearing this. But worked in few delivery offices and have yet to speak to a Union Rep. Who exactly are the union speaking to, because it's certainly not most of the part-timers who start after 9. As long as union keep passing the buck, managers will do as they please.
BarnsleyLackey
Posts: 349
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
Gender: Male

Re: It's your own fault

Post by BarnsleyLackey »

The bonus they've just been paid is one hell of an incentive to keep doing what they're doing.
justapostman
Posts: 22
Joined: 08 Oct 2014, 16:16
Gender: Male

Re: It's your own fault

Post by justapostman »

El-Bandito wrote:You would have more respect if! Regarding your post on 28th April. I take my meal relief at the end of my shift. Hypocrisy?, or are you on the wind up? Fishing is my job m8y. :nana
if i understood it correctly, what's the point of taking a break after finishing Your 7-8 hour shift if You've finished work anyway? :hmmmm
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Re: It's your own fault

Post by enskied »

El-Bandito wrote:You would have more respect if! Regarding your post on 28th April. I take my meal relief at the end of my shift. Hypocrisy?, or are you on the wind up? Fishing is my job m8y. :nana
Oh you mean this one

"deristrong"]I'm a P/Timer [about 6 hrs per day]. I tag on 20 mins MR to the end of my day but thought I saw somewhere that over 5 hrs work meant a 30 min break. Can anyone confirm as I already start earlier than I should and don't want to give more away."

Well we can all change our tune when it suits I guess. :neutral:
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: It's your own fault

Post by rubberbond »

enskied wrote:
El-Bandito wrote:You would have more respect if! Regarding your post on 28th April. I take my meal relief at the end of my shift. Hypocrisy?, or are you on the wind up? Fishing is my job m8y. :nana
Oh you mean this one

"deristrong"]I'm a P/Timer [about 6 hrs per day]. I tag on 20 mins MR to the end of my day but thought I saw somewhere that over 5 hrs work meant a 30 min break. Can anyone confirm as I already start earlier than I should and don't want to give more away."

Well we can all change our tune when it suits I guess. :neutral:
:oops: I think the phrase you are looking for,is,"bang to rights".
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: It's your own fault

Post by Nondescript »

Seeing as the OP has been rumbled and there's little chance of him rearing his head above the parapet, it's time to invoke Godwin's Law and bring this thread to a close. Derisweak, do you think the wehrmacht added twenty minutes onto the end of their shift? Hmm? Do you? :crazy:
deristrong
Posts: 195
Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
Gender: Male

Re: It's your own fault

Post by deristrong »

Head above parapet. There's a culture on the floor of getting the job done as quickly as possible at any cost. For me to single-handedly stand up to it would make me very unpopular amongst my colleagues (by the time I start the day my partner is already making a great show of looking at his watch). Management love this situation because it relieves them of the pressure they'd need to put on us as we're busy doing it to ourselves. Incidentally, not sure I know anyone in our office who doesn't put MR at the end of their shift.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: It's your own fault

Post by Surreypostie »

deristrong wrote:Head above parapet. There's a culture on the floor of getting the job done as quickly as possible at any cost. For me to single-handedly stand up to it would make me very unpopular amongst my colleagues (by the time I start the day my partner is already making a great show of looking at his watch). Management love this situation because it relieves them of the pressure they'd need to put on us as we're busy doing it to ourselves. Incidentally, not sure I know anyone in our office who doesn't put MR at the end of their shift.
If your partner has time to keep looking at his watch he has time to assist you to get out. That is how it works in our DO. Don't allow yourself to be pressured by another OPG, sorry but that is bullying. RM claim all the bullying is OPG against OPG, we all know that is not true but this is a form of bullying.
El-Bandito
Posts: 313
Joined: 27 Jan 2009, 14:14
Gender: Male

Re: It's your own fault

Post by El-Bandito »

Surreypostie wrote:
deristrong wrote:Head above parapet. There's a culture on the floor of getting the job done as quickly as possible at any cost. For me to single-handedly stand up to it would make me very unpopular amongst my colleagues (by the time I start the day my partner is already making a great show of looking at his watch). Management love this situation because it relieves them of the pressure they'd need to put on us as we're busy doing it to ourselves. Incidentally, not sure I know anyone in our office who doesn't put MR at the end of their shift.
If your partner has time to keep looking at his watch he has time to assist you to get out. That is how it works in our DO. Don't allow yourself to be pressured by another OPG, sorry but that is bullying. RM claim all the bullying is OPG against OPG, we all know that is not true but this is a form of bullying.
Is it though? One mans bullying is another mans 'banter' or a managers 'training course speak' . Whatever YOU, personally feel, is the main point here. A manager will almost,always state that it is not bullying or harassment situation. If you feel intimidated,pressured put YOUR point across. It is how YOU personally feel or how a fellow workmate/manager makes YOU feel. At the minimum it IS intimidation.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: It's your own fault

Post by postslippete »

In todays Royal Mail its just not worth finishing your round and coming back to the office too early


Yes, there will always be a lucky few who either have easy duties (that need and will eventually get a revision) or those who run round (and make the duties easier than what they are).

We may all have been guilty of shooting ourselves in the foot at one time or another. I have noticed our managers getting a little bit savvier, like for example, pairing up a slow guy with Billy Whizz in an effort to 'balance' things up a bit time wise. Unfortunately, its not a quick fix remedy and does contain some awful side effects on both parties - who don't particularly want to work with each other for different reasons.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: It's your own fault

Post by Jpro747 »

Deristrong, why are you taking your meal relief at the end? You should take it somewhere in the middle of your shift. By taking it at the end managers will assume you've already had your meal relief and make a note that you're getting back early and need more lapsing to fill your hours!