Hi. been working for royal mail since December when I got a Christmas casual job. was employed by angard at the beginning of January, and started working at a delivery office. Obviously the first 12 weeks wer terrible on minimum wage, getting paid a pittence for doing the same job as everyone else! Since then though things have been good and ive been doing over 30/40 hrs a week. You sign in and sign out and get paid for fhe hours you do so their is rarely any issues! My dad is a lino in the office I work in. was a postman and has worked for the business for over 15 years.
I've been offered a 20 hr contract split over 4 days for 6 months at the moment. Its been going through for sometime, as everything with royal mail seems long and drawn out. I'm worried that now I'm going onto 20 hrs, that I'm going to struggle to make ends meet. There is overtime available and money to be earnt for sure, but am I shooting myself in fhe foot by taking this contract or will I be able to make my hours up. I don't currently drive but have my test in a few weeks, so I'm hoping that will open up doors to do more hours. I get credited on how well I do the job by employees and the dom alike and I really enjoy the job and get on with all the people. Our office Is one of the good ones out of the sector! Just general info and personal experiences from other p/t's would be good!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Moving from Angard to 20hr contract. information and advice
-
JoeMbg
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 07 May 2015, 16:27
- Gender: Male
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: Moving from Angard to 20hr contract. information and ad
I would thought your dad would given you a better contract due to you being family.
-
JoeMbg
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 07 May 2015, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Moving from Angard to 20hr contract. information and ad
I don't think it's that simple I'm afraid! I've had no 'special treatment' because of having a family member in the office. And I don't want any! I want to be treated the same and have the same prospects as everyone else. I started with another guy exactly the same time and he's been offered the same. The sick level in our office is high. Hear about that a lot in the business.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Moving from Angard to 20hr contract. information and ad
Whilst overtime cannot be guaranteed, I have not yet heard of an office that can't clear without any.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32794
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Moving from Angard to 20hr contract. information and ad
What did your Dad say about it all?
Oh and did you tell him you were coming on here to ask us?
Oh and did you tell him you were coming on here to ask us?
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Moving from Angard to 20hr contract. information and ad
OH your cruelPOSTMAN wrote:What did your Dad say about it all?
Oh and did you tell him you were coming on here to ask us?
-
pgtips
- Posts: 51
- Joined: 07 Jun 2011, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Moving from Angard to 20hr contract. information and ad
His dad's probably already on here & told him about this forumPOSTMAN wrote:What did your Dad say about it all?
Oh and did you tell him you were coming on here to ask us?