ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Is there a maximum a postman should be walking per shift?
-
christiani
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 13 Feb 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Is there a maximum a postman should be walking per shift?
Hey everyone,
Apologies if I've posted this question in the wrong section! I wondered if there is a maximum distance that a postman should be expected to work per shift. I currently do a round which involves walking between 10 and 13 miles per shift.
Any input would be much-appreciated!
Apologies if I've posted this question in the wrong section! I wondered if there is a maximum distance that a postman should be expected to work per shift. I currently do a round which involves walking between 10 and 13 miles per shift.
Any input would be much-appreciated!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Is there a maximum a postman should be walking per shift
No - sorry no limit. Should there be - probablychristiani wrote:Hey everyone,
Apologies if I've posted this question in the wrong section! I wondered if there is a maximum distance that a postman should be expected to work per shift. I currently do a round which involves walking between 10 and 13 miles per shift.
Any input would be much-appreciated!
10-13 miles is about average.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
goldy
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 13:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Is there a maximum a postman should be walking per shift
I think yes but obviously some rounds are steep with lots of flats some rounds involve more work with the PDA such as lots of recorded some have loads of gates its almost impossible to make walks equal but i think the max walking should be a about 13 miles even with flex anything over this is stretching it I think the planners really need to look at this.
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Re: Is there a maximum a postman should be walking per shift
13 miles in 4hr 30min is approx 2.5mph at a constant speed.
that is a fair old pace to work at with all the stop / start involved in walking to the doors etc and all with a trolley ( no van )
that is a fair old pace to work at with all the stop / start involved in walking to the doors etc and all with a trolley ( no van )
-
goldy
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 13:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Is there a maximum a postman should be walking per shift
Yes it is but seeing as most walks are average 10 -13 miles like in our place I cant see any max being less,thats the pace we are at. I think some consideration needs to be in place for peoples age too.Also that would be the round being at full capacity so on lighter days it would be less.The union needs to get onto this they could perhaps negotiate a distance
-
5plusbonusball
- Posts: 1136
- Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: up north of watford
Re: Is there a maximum a postman should be walking per shift
The looks on the faces of the horrified manager/sort of thingys p's me off, yes we've got to walk 4 hours in this heat while they stay indoors or in the yard, doing nowt!!! Worse thing about the job. Dom and assistant dom are ok but 6 more linos - NOT NEEDED........... 
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
-
pad
- Posts: 49
- Joined: 19 May 2007, 20:50
- Location: Preston
Re: Is there a maximum a postman should be walking per shift
Yes
1) between 7 to 8 hrs plus (you're being paid) - Managerial View.
2) 4 hrs- planned HCT walk
3) 4-5.5 hrs Planned Park & Loop Duty (Plus agreed Mira Packets/Attendance Calls).
PLUS local arrangements noted in Walklog ie Hills, Flats etc. Some Offices very good, some NOT.
4) Rurals- (see 1 above) Normally have OMV after all.
1) between 7 to 8 hrs plus (you're being paid) - Managerial View.
2) 4 hrs- planned HCT walk
3) 4-5.5 hrs Planned Park & Loop Duty (Plus agreed Mira Packets/Attendance Calls).
PLUS local arrangements noted in Walklog ie Hills, Flats etc. Some Offices very good, some NOT.
4) Rurals- (see 1 above) Normally have OMV after all.
-
Shaders
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
- Gender: Male
- Location: Oop North
Re: Is there a maximum a postman should be walking per shift
When you collapse and die seems to be about the limit nowadays 
-
PHARRY
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 327
- Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Is there a maximum a postman should be walking per shift
Maximum 1000 miles walking
-
Decky Boy
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Is there a maximum a postman should be walking per shift
Average around 22000 steps and circa 1400feet of climbing in 3.5 - 5 hours. Mt Everest is 29,009 feet so climb Mt Everest every 4 weeks as well as 10miles walking per day. Toughest job I've ever had.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Is there a maximum a postman should be walking per shift

All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
bigbazza
- Posts: 113
- Joined: 15 Feb 2010, 19:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Is there a maximum a postman should be walking per shift
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
-
christiani
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 13 Feb 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Is there a maximum a postman should be walking per shift?
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Since the revision, I have been averaging 9-10 miles per day (5 days a week), which is better, but still physically demanding, considering what a hilly area Cornwall is! It certainly doesn't seem to be a long-term job, in my opinion! Walking a distance not far off a half marathon every day is ridiculous.
-
fly-catchers
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 573
- Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
- Gender: Male
Is there a maximum a postman should be walking per shift?
When I was referred to ATOS about my knee issues- the woman thought I had to walk about a mile a day!! 
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1530
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Is there a maximum a postman should be walking per shift
You should be walking about 4mph but when the stop/starts are taken into account it comes out at 2.5mph.doorstepped wrote:13 miles in 4hr 30min is approx 2.5mph at a constant speed.
that is a fair old pace to work at with all the stop / start involved in walking to the doors etc and all with a trolley ( no van )