ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

about dog attacks....

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

about dog attacks....

Post by troubadour2012en »

hi everyone!

I have just started to work for RM few months ago and I (already!) have had few "nasty" encounters with loose dogs. Yesterday I was very close to be bitten by one, and, honestly this scared me as hell and made me think very seriously at this problem. It even put me in the situation to look on internet for some pepper spray or teasers, or...I don't know, I wouldn't harm a dog for HIS IRRESPONSIBLE OWNER fault, but... I know many of you are in RM for so long time and...I'm just wondering how did you cope with this all this years and escaped in "one piece"?...:) Thank you very much for any good advice!
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: about dog attacks....

Post by bustedflush »

Don't do anything illegal - you'll be charged AND lose your job. RM did actually try sprays but stopped as it was thought it would lead to the postie getting overconfident and more likely to get bitten, or provoke owners etc.
You can mark ANY letter D/L and refuse delivery if in the slightest doubt about your safety, even the whole street if you notice a dog in public loose. Your manager won't and can't touch you for it. Don't be worried about a colleague hearing and saying "oh! that dog's as soft as sh!t" etc. because it's YOUR call and you don't know the dog.

It really is this simple.
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

Re: about dog attacks....

Post by troubadour2012en »

thanks for reply, bustedflush. What would you do, though, in case you would be attacked by a dog appearing from nowhere?...That was in my case yesterday...delivering mail to some houses near to a park; that crazy dog came running from that park, towards me , and the owner just remained in the park, whistling at his dog who didn't care of him...I started to run for few meters (I know, big mistake!) and I suddenly realized that there is NO CHANCE me being faster than the dog; I stopped in this second, turned my body towards the dog, it also stopped, just barking angrily, the desperation make me shouting: "Get back!", and the dog...just barked few more times and turned back in the park...And his owner didn't show his face all this time!!!!....
noggin1969
Posts: 1321
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
Gender: Male

Re: about dog attacks....

Post by noggin1969 »

Get either the manager or CWU H&S rep to do a risk assessment and get it classed as a near miss and update the walk log. If a dog is going to bite it'll usually get you as their reactions are faster than yours. If you do get bit , report it to your manager , union rep ( if a member ) and the police. Take pictures of the bite and save receipts from hospital visits , etc these you claim back plus compo from the owner if they can be traced.
troubadour2012en
Posts: 33
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 13:40
Gender: Male

Re: about dog attacks....

Post by troubadour2012en »

thank you, noggin, hopefully I won't get bitten; I have big doubt, though: there are so many large open doors, with dogs waiting on the doormat, while the owners are wherever else but in their dog proximity; so many houses with long path and dogs running free in the rear gardens, etc...I just have the feeling that RM should do more related to our safety in this matter...
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: about dog attacks....

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

troubadour2012en wrote:thank you, noggin, hopefully I won't get bitten; I have big doubt, though: there are so many large open doors, with dogs waiting on the doormat, while the owners are wherever else but in their dog proximity; so many houses with long path and dogs running free in the rear gardens, etc...I just have the feeling that RM should do more related to our safety in this matter...

In both those conditions Open Door with a known dog, or dog loose in the garden Royal Mail will allow you to refuse to deliver. Endorse the mail Dog Loose, your initials, the date 14/6 and duty number (not all offices need all of this). Then inform the manager on return to the office. On close calls or loose dogs in public areas then cease delivery at that point, remove yourself from the danger and telephone the manager. They should then inform the police or dog warden.

If a loose dog stops you delivering to a whole street or loop inform the manager. There is no need to put yourself at risk and for once RM don't expect you to.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: about dog attacks....

Post by bustedflush »

troubadour2012en wrote:thanks for reply, bustedflush. What would you do, though, in case you would be attacked by a dog appearing from nowhere?...That was in my case yesterday...delivering mail to some houses near to a park; that crazy dog came running from that park, towards me , and the owner just remained in the park, whistling at his dog who didn't care of him...I started to run for few meters (I know, big mistake!) and I suddenly realized that there is NO CHANCE me being faster than the dog; I stopped in this second, turned my body towards the dog, it also stopped, just barking angrily, the desperation make me shouting: "Get back!", and the dog...just barked few more times and turned back in the park...And his owner didn't show his face all this time!!!!....
I had one similar, in fact 2. The first was a snarling thing that is usually in the owners' porch but one Saturday I heard it snarling after delivering and chasing up behind me as I was about 50 yards away so was obviously out. I did exactly what you did and turned at the last minute and stopped and it screeched to a halt barking and snarling but luckily not attacking. The owner apologetically retrieved it and the close never had mail again until the manager had been out a few days later. They pointlessly put a box on their drive gates which are always open anyway. The problem arose not because of the gates but the fact the bast*rd came around the back of the house as it was out in the garden and not locked in the house/porch as normal.

The second was similar to your park one, a dog ran over to me from a green area, barked and snarled and was retrieved by the silly cow with it without a word of apology, not any words at all.... I never reported it as the thing was so senile I could've bitten it before it bit me. The owner's attitude riled me more than anything.

As said film/photograph if possible and endorse the mail 'D/L' and don't deliver. Hopefully you're in the Union so if bitten will have free legal recourse after reporting it to both the Police and manager first WHICH YOU ALWAYS SHOULD!

You will NEVER be boll*cked by a manager for not risking your safety - yes, they are under pressure to achieve their delivery targets etc. but the cr*p they get for Health and Safety incidents from above is far worse....
boogyman
Posts: 161
Joined: 17 Mar 2011, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: about dog attacks....

Post by boogyman »

Noggin 1969: where you say take pictures and get receipts so you can claim money back plus get compo back if you can trace owners you way out mate. I was attacked just over 2 years ago by a German sheperd bit into my hand and backside. Yes the dog was put down on police advice, but as for compo, owners had no dog insurance or home insurance so you can't claim a penny. I was off for a couple of weeks hospital appointments and pescriptions to by and union never backed me one bit. Never got nothing and still feel angry to this day.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: about dog attacks....

Post by bustedflush »

boogyman wrote:Noggin 1969: where you say take pictures and get receipts so you can claim money back plus get compo back if you can trace owners you way out mate. I was attacked just over 2 years ago by a German sheperd bit into my hand and backside. Yes the dog was put down on police advice, but as for compo, owners had no dog insurance or home insurance so you can't claim a penny. I was off for a couple of weeks hospital appointments and pescriptions to by and union never backed me one bit. Never got nothing and still feel angry to this day.
I take it they were unemployed tenants?

Because otherwise the lawyers can charge/claim against equity in the property and/or if they are working gain judgement which is sequestered from their earnings (if not forthcoming initially).
boogyman
Posts: 161
Joined: 17 Mar 2011, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: about dog attacks....

Post by boogyman »

Bustedflush: thanks for reply, occupants at property don't work.
BUT, it wasn't the occupant from the actual house in charge of the dog it was a relation from a property in the same street who walked the dog everyday. Like I said earlier I feel angry to this day when management talk about attacks.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: about dog attacks....

Post by postslippete »

Royal Mail do take incidents like this seriously


For example, 10 years ago I had this dog (well, i liken it more to a sabre tooth tiger actually). It often used to be running loose down the road and nearly everyday i'm sure the owner just enjoyed letting it out the house and have it run loose down the street terrorising everyone in its path. I often brought a full bundle of mail back everyday even though I would have preferred to have delivered it, so that the bag wasn't twice as heavy the following day!!

Royal Mail sending letters out to the owner was pointless as they never received them! However, when a lot of residents eventually complained that they never got post that got the housing association to act and move on this troublesome tenant and his dog.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: about dog attacks....

Post by meercat »

troubadour2012en wrote:hi everyone!
how did you cope with this all this years and escaped in "one piece"?...:) Thank you very much for any good advice!
Having grown up with dogs and had to kick a few in the head at work my tips would be.

Never be afraid of a dog. Respect it's potential but NEVER run away or act nervously around one as it will make an attack more likely. Maintain eye contact and look threatening.
Your feet are your main weapon of defence. Be prepared to kick at a dogs head and body if it runs in to attack you. Keep your hands back as a bit will damage fingers easily.
If you have a pouch take it off and use it as a shield or use it as a weapon.
If a dog is running at you face it and walk towards it and be prepared to kick it hard and fast and repeatedly if it attacks.
If a very big dog attacks you protect your neck if it jumps for your face and if it latches on to an arm try to get it in a head lock and lie on top of it.
If a large dog or two dogs run at you jump onto of a wall or a car if you can.

Also if you see an open front door make lots of noise opening the gate, if there is a dog inside it will come ruining out. Endorse the mail 'dog in garden' and take it back to the office.

btw pepper spray is illegal in the UK as are Tazers - unless you are in the Police.