ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Have I ruined my job application

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dave74
Posts: 42
Joined: 05 May 2015, 21:40
Gender: Male

Have I ruined my job application

Post by Dave74 »

As the title explains.
I passed my interview and the assessment and I am now in the process of filling out job history details. Thing is, that I have worked in the same place for over five years as I mentioned in the interview, but it has been cash in hand. Yet not claiming benefits. So I will now be unable to produce a P45 if asked to do so. Has that ruined my application, for failure to mention the said cause to interviewer?
Please I hope am wrong.

What do you think?
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Have I ruined my job application

Post by spiderj »

Get a reference and fill out a p46
I won
swindonandy
Posts: 126
Joined: 26 Feb 2010, 16:26
Gender: Male

Re: Have I ruined my job application

Post by swindonandy »

You'll have records from your self assessed tax bill though?
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: Have I ruined my job application

Post by Newbie001 »

swindonandy wrote:You'll have records from your self assessed tax bill though?
I might be wrong, but don't think there is any tax being paid :shhhhh
Cbeebies
Posts: 14
Joined: 20 May 2015, 08:02
Gender: Male

Re: Have I ruined my job application

Post by Cbeebies »

Doubt it has ruined your application, I think just get a p46 filled out
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Have I ruined my job application

Post by datasaint »

How much cash in hand were you earning?

You still have to declare it to the tax man otherwise you face prosecution.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Have I ruined my job application

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Not producing a p45 won't affect you getting the job,

However

The 5 year employment history is for partly security background checks so not being able to prove that may stop you getting the job

Not paying tax on your income is also a crime, if you have not been paying tax that could also potentially cause problems if laws were being broken
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: Have I ruined my job application

Post by meercat »

As a priority declare your previous income to the HMRC. If you haven't been earning much you may not have to make any back-payment, depends if your employer was paying NI contributions or if you were signing-on to make them?
https://www.gov.uk/report-cash-in-hand-pay
https://www.gov.uk/working-for-yourself/overview


If you get the job make sure you are put on the correct tax code or you could end up paying more tax.