In the past I would fill in a docket sheet and at the end of the week the manager and I would sign the sheet. Has this changed? Do you do it differently?
The way it is done now I would tell the manager before I leave the office how long I think I will go over my time. Say I tell him 40 minutes, he will either say "ok", or more likely "no that's too long I'll put you down for 20 minutes"! Just say we agreed 40 minutes and I actually went over 1 hour, then too bad we agreed 40 minutes: and of course I look at my wage slip the next week and I haven't been paid my overtime at all!
My point being surely all overtime should be written down and signed for?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Correct way to book overtime?
-
cyrus
- Posts: 215
- Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Correct way to book overtime?
Hmmmm? seems like they mysteriously forget to put your wages through, or your manger is withholding payment which is illegal.If he's not going to pay out overtime, then follow the "over running delivery procedure". You can estimate all you want, but that's all it is, an estimate.....Been through this before and now I very rarely do overtime for them now.herewegoagain wrote:In the past I would fill in a docket sheet and at the end of the week the manager and I would sign the sheet. Has this changed? Do you do it differently?
The way it is done now I would tell the manager before I leave the office how long I think I will go over my time. Say I tell him 40 minutes, he will either say "ok", or more likely "no that's too long I'll put you down for 20 minutes"! Just say we agreed 40 minutes and I actually went over 1 hour, then too bad we agreed 40 minutes: and of course I look at my wage slip the next week and I haven't been paid my overtime at all!
My point being surely all overtime should be written down and signed for?
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Correct way to book overtime?
We fill the book in every day before leaving the office. There is no 'agreeing'. There is a column to estimate, then when you get back to the office you fill in the columns for 'actual finish time' and 'actual claim'. I estimate an hour every day, when I fill it in when I get back, I put in 10 mins or 1.5 hrs or whatever. It's often nowhere near my estimate.
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Correct way to book overtime?
How are you supposed to estimate it accurately? It is not too bad if you underestimate. If you say 40 mins and he say's no too long you tell him you will be cutting off. HE will change his mind. Royal Mail and the Union expect you to work all paid hours. In return you can be expected to be paid all hours worked. Claim what you have worked when you return. From experience it costs them more to pay someone else to do your cut off.
-
obscurityknocks
- Posts: 195
- Joined: 01 Jan 2012, 12:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Correct way to book overtime?
Is this for real?? If you don't "guess" how much you'll be over correctly and you do more you only get what you "guessed"?herewegoagain wrote:In the past I would fill in a docket sheet and at the end of the week the manager and I would sign the sheet. Has this changed? Do you do it differently?
The way it is done now I would tell the manager before I leave the office how long I think I will go over my time. Say I tell him 40 minutes, he will either say "ok", or more likely "no that's too long I'll put you down for 20 minutes"! Just say we agreed 40 minutes and I actually went over 1 hour, then too bad we agreed 40 minutes: and of course I look at my wage slip the next week and I haven't been paid my overtime at all!
My point being surely all overtime should be written down and signed for?
How are they being allowed to get away with this. This is the kind of thing hq should be sorting, but no they really don't give a toss.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Correct way to book overtime?
My guess has often been wildly out - either way. It's never been questioned. Nothing is 'agreed' as the book isn't looked at until the office is empty.
All I know is, you have to put something, if you don't and you claim at the end of your shift, you have to explain why you didn't estimate. Breakdown etc covers this, unforeseen circumstances.
As I don't prep my duty (and only pack half my bags) I often have no idea what time I'll finish, hence just put an hour every day.
All I know is, you have to put something, if you don't and you claim at the end of your shift, you have to explain why you didn't estimate. Breakdown etc covers this, unforeseen circumstances.
As I don't prep my duty (and only pack half my bags) I often have no idea what time I'll finish, hence just put an hour every day.
-
enskied
- Posts: 1877
- Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Correct way to book overtime?
The easiest way is not to do it for a while. Work to time, then they see how much it costs them to get it done, or not.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Correct way to book overtime?
Yep, work to time, cut off, they'll soon be back begging for overtime 
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Correct way to book overtime?
Ist time they tried it on and reduced my O/T payments I told them "that's it " and now work my time